Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roundabouts. The Ultimate Guide.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

DubTony wrote:
    The point I made is that you should never cross the lane of the car beside you. That's a car that would be pulling away from the same junction that you're entering the roundabout from. Obviously you'll cross the lanes of other roads entering the roundabout. That's a no-brainer.

That's nonsensical. You should indicate to exit the roundabout as you pass the previous exit. It's this attitude that keeps everyone guessing. "There isn't enough time, so I won't bother"
    Even one blink of an indicator can alert others that you're going to do something.

Yeah, but 5>12 is messing big time with the traffic on 9>4 & 10>3 and what's wrong with doing a 9>12 if 10 was limited to 11 ONLY. and 2 to 3 ONLY and 6 to 7 ONLY.anyway, the example is a huge RA, as it is many times the length of an artic in Diameter. How many are only as wide across as an artic is long, quiet a few from what I have seen.
    Now doing a 9>12 if you allow a 10>3 IS madness, but I have seen it done, even at stop lights.

Why you have decided certain lanes can and cannot exit at certain points is rather random from this distance, thus N-S traffic has a different set of rules than S-N, etc. At 60mph on a dark night to the casual passerby, who may or may not know the N-S, S-N differentiation, it's a recipie for mayhem,Think up on one set of rules that are equal to all oncomers, irrespective of their orientation.
    Some "U" turns appear an a non-selectable option?
    If 1 can go to 8, why not 5?.
    and if 10>3 is OK, why not 2>11

Indicators!. on a small RA the front of a large truck would be indicating left while the trailer should still be indicating right.
    best clue, watch the angleing of the front wheels.

As I said, I hate RA anyway, and that example is a dozie and not the average congested button blocking the road outside your very busy chopping center. ("The Majic Roundabout" should serve as reason for public floggings).

What if,
    2 feeds 3 ONLY, 1 feeds 4, 8 or 12 ONLY
    6 feeds 7 ONLY, 5 feeds 8, 12 and 4 ONLY
    10 feeds 11 ONLY, 9 feeds 12, 4 and 8 ONLY.

Same rule irrespective of approach and 2 less crossover points, with the 10>3 option removed.. seems better to me, if there is anyway one could describe the activities & requirements of a RA as "better".

Unfortunately that's not the way it works, is it.
    4 eyes is sitting in his Micra at 10, trying to make up his/her mind what to do, meanwhile Buzybody approaching rapidly from behind, swings around by 9 and down 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

AMurphy wrote:
    Yeah, but 5>12 is messing big time with the traffic on 9>4 & 10>3 and what's wrong with doing a 9>12 if 10 was limited to 11 ONLY. and 2 to 3 ONLY and 6 to 7 ONLY.anyway, the example is a huge RA, as it is many times the length of an artic in Diameter. How many are only as wide across as an artic is long, quiet a few from what I have seen.
    Now doing a 9>12 if you allow a 10>3 IS madness, but I have seen it done, even at stop lights.

Why you have decided certain lanes can and cannot exit at certain points is rather random from this distance, thus N-S traffic has a different set of rules than S-N, etc. At 60mph on a dark night to the casual passerby, who may or may not know the N-S, S-N differentiation, it's a recipie for mayhem,Think up on one set of rules that are equal to all oncomers, irrespective of their orientation.
    Some "U" turns appear an a non-selectable option?
    If 1 can go to 8, why not 5?.
    and if 10>3 is OK, why not 2>11

Indicators!. on a small RA the front of a large truck would be indicating left while the trailer should still be indicating right.
    best clue, watch the angleing of the front wheels.

After reading all this I've come to the opinion that you're getting too much sun over there. Come home, for your own sake. But, hey, stay off the roads until you remember how they work.

:D

Advertisement