Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rhythim Is Rhythim

• 15-05-2005 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Not a typo!

I was at the Groove Armada DJ set at the Trinity Ball last Friday and I've been reliably enformed that the old skool piano track they played near the start was probably Stings for Life...name rang a bell instantly of course! Anyway, I 've heard the sample of the original on Juno (I know it's had/due a re-release) but could someone confirm for me:

Does the last part of the original have a little crazy bit where the melody kinda turns 'country style' or something like that. Really damn hard to describe but there's a part of me wondering if it actually is the track I heard; maybe stings for life just sounds so familiar.

Any ideas? If you were there would be help alot I guess! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Track you heard is Soul Central - Strings of Life (Danny Kevits Remix) hear it here: http://www.tunes.co.uk/tunes/featured/8085.html

Haven't heard the original in ages not sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Zascar wrote:
    Track you heard is Soul Central - Strings of Life (Danny Kevits Remix) hear it here: http://www.tunes.co.uk/tunes/featured/8085.html

Haven't heard the original in ages not sure...
    Im pretty sure it was actually the original.

That remix is a piece of dirt and should never be played out in comparison. There should be laws against remixing such classics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Im pretty sure it was actually the original.
    Were you there by any chance? Could easily have been the re-edit I link to below I think.
    That remix is a piece of dirt and should never be played out in comparison. There should be laws against remixing such classics.
    Really? When I heard it was getting rereleased I groaned, but I listened to the first 30 secs of that that re-edit (on Juno cos the other didnt work for me) and it doesn't seem too criminal. I realise there's a full radio-friendly version with Kathy Brown which is wrong, but the Danny Kevits version here just sounds like a pumped up version of this. Does it all go horribly wrong after the sample?

Still wondering if the original ends with a little country-style melody that's built on the original riff (actually it doesnt stop on it, but its towards the end of the song)? AFAIK I remember the original having that bit.

Thanks for the replies.
    Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭BACKLASH

It was the instrumental re-edit that Krivet did about 2 years ago,
    it was then re-released with a MANKY vocal over it,
    everyone that is involved in that should be hung, drawn and quatered

Ok so we've gathered that the vocal is criminal (I've just heard the full thing :mad:) but the instrumental sounded fine to me.

Did you catch the set? And that's def. the track he dropped last friday?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭BACKLASH

Yeah, i actually like the instrumental but the vocal totally
    ruined it for me!
    Yeah, was there, he defintily played it.

- jon

It definately wasnt the one with the vocal anyway. If it was it would have been another case of leaving the tent a la Tom Middletons entire set.

The instrumental isnt that bad I suppose, but such a classic should still never be remixed.

Cheers guys just wanted to make sure you actually heard the one I heard! :D I agree with the general thing of flogging ol' tunes, especially with made-for-radio vocals; but in this case the instrumental fitted in well to help build up the atmosphere.

Anway, I'm gonna buy the original so you'll all be relieved!

Much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭skkatter

Derrick May (alias Rhythim Is Rhythim) is playing in Dublin on Thursday the 2nd of June at the Electric City club downstairs in Traffic (Middle Abbey Street).

You should pop down and ask him if he ended the original with some "country style" when he was writing it.

I might just do that :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

That remix is a piece of dirt and should never be played out in comparison.
    What! I can't believe you said that! Ok the one with the nasty vocals is a catastrophie, but the Danny Keveit's remix is a fantastic tune, I think its really well constructed, just a beautiful mix. Groove Armada played it the last 2 times I saw them in the redbox. Everyone went absolutely nuts when they play it, probably the most crazy out of any tune bar maybe SuperStylin...

Zascar wrote:
    What! I can't believe you said that! Ok the one with the nasty vocals is a catastrophie, but the Danny Keveit's remix is a fantastic tune, I think its really well constructed, just a beautiful mix. Groove Armada played it the last 2 times I saw them in the redbox. Everyone went absolutely nuts when they play it, probably the most crazy out of any tune bar maybe SuperStylin...
    Its the exact same as the original pretty much. Hardly much of a "remix", just a rebrand so people think they can cane it again. It got such a reaction because the original is legendary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Its the exact same as the original pretty much. Hardly much of a "remix", just a rebrand so people think they can cane it again. It got such a reaction because the original is legendary.

Dance music is built on remixing. What's the big deal if it rips up a dancefloor?

B.

Advertisement