Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish broad band upgrade speeds

• 15-05-2005 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭

i heard from a friend that there conections were all up graded. but my 1mg doesnt seem to have got any faster.

and is there any way to check conection speeds. i get 100kbps on a download from internet explorer and thats how i gauge the speed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

AFAIK, you can only get 2megabit Breeze broadband from Three Rock Mountain transmitter at the moment. Dunno if/when other base sites are meant to be upped. They are *supposedly* meant to upgrade existing 1mb customers free of charge...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Most people have been upgraded if you look back over the last threads there are still a few people though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

What are the speeds like these days? I'm looking at ditching the landline and signing up while they still have the free install offer on. My last experience with ibb was downloading at 10k/sec from a good server. Not all too amazing.

I say as you saw all about us getting QOSed was a pain in the ass, but of late its been good enough, Nova networks have lowered there prices though, http://www.novanetworks.ie/home/index.asp .I have my days with ibb though, The speeds are all over the place i think its because of heavy downloaders myself. Fukers.

With regards from downloading at 10k i had the same problem as did everyone else, but thats sorted now.

right.... I was originally going to go with Nova but I can't/don't want to pass up the chance for a free install... I suppose I could order it, wait a few weeks/months for an install date, give it a try and if it doesn't satisfy me, bitch, whine and moan until they come and pick up their kit. (Or sell it on ebay) :D

Beats paying €150 for installation and €24 a month for a phone line I barely even use I guess...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

3rock 1.98Mb DL and 2.78Mb upload (dont ask)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rfoley

Where's the free installation? I emailed IBB last week about that, and they said their offer is 2 months free if you order before the end of May. No mention of free installation.

Maybe they forgot to mention it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rfoley

Oh, right - I was looking at the business services

Apologies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I got a free install on 2Mbit package. Email them and ask :)

I didn't get 2 months free though.

• Advertisement

Nice.. now how to convince UTV that I'm moving to Iceland in order to get out of my talk contract... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 enno

HighlyCooL wrote:
    and is there any way to check conection speeds. i get 100kbps on a download from internet explorer and thats how i gauge the speed
    Try http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed/ -- YMMV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭HighlyCooL

i just got 372kbps down and 263kbps up out of a 1mg connection ( which ibb are selling for €35 and i am paying €50) i think i should be asking questions

I am having some speeds problems at the moment was told they are expanding so speeds will be better on 24:1, which is always good news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

HighlyCooL wrote:
    i just got 372kbps down and 263kbps up out of a 1mg connection ( which ibb are selling for €35 and i am paying €50) i think i should be asking questions

No - IBB are selling 1mb for €35, which was formally the 512k / 512k package. The 1mb package for €45 is being upped to 2mb, but it seems it is only off Three Rock Mountain at the moment that the speed has been increased. Why not give them a buzz or e-mail them? They're pretty quick to respond, usually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

IBB seem to be going crap lately, it maybe because of them upgrading, i am going to contact them tomorrow.

Small question, is it possible to get a buisness 2meg connection if you are a normal home user??? do you HAVE to have a company??

i have the 1mg (now 2mg or so they say) and i have it at home, it says on the bill business package.
    the only thing diffrent between the 2 is that business prices are quoted without VAT.

HighlyCooL wrote:
    i have the 1mg (now 2mg or so they say) and i have it at home, it says on the bill business package.
    the only thing diffrent between the 2 is that business prices are quoted without VAT.

and do u have a buisness?? does that meen the 2meg line will be upgraded to 3 meg??

its in the house no business here. i pay 50 a month for 1mg that i think is upgraded to 2mg (but i dont think so i think i will ring tomorro and find out the story)

from looking at there site the 512/512 is now 1mg/1mg the 1mg/1mg(i have) is now 2mg/2mg and the 2mg/2mg is 3mg/3mg

yeh it says the 2meg is €40 ex vat, so thats about 50?? yeh. so it does look like they have upgraded them, im noticing NO speed increase on my 1meg beeze litein fact im only noticing slowdown :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

€48.50 and true up and down like a whores knickers

well i rang them, upgrades wil be completed in 2-3 weeks, i opted to upgrade to the buisness 2meg line as this is being upgraded to 3meg also and only costs €48.50. But i know what IBB are like , i will probably have to ring them 50 or more times and order it again and again, she said it would take a few weeks and i wont be notified when it happens, what type of service is that??? :(

i ordered mine this time last, and they just kept telling me yeah its comming. i got it 15 of september of 2004 talk about a long wait! 4 months from the first fone call when they said it would be out in about 2 to 3 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

They've been saying "upgrades will happen in the next two weeks" for about a month now, by the way.

i thought it was too good to be true :(

there good provider ( when they provide) but they take there time when doing it

HighlyCooL wrote:
    there good provider ( when they provide) but they take there time when doing it

i agree, in the 6-9 months i have had it it has never gone down and i have it on 24/7 (i have a server setup that is peranently connected), so in that sense they are good , but theyre conection speeds do go up and down like a yoyo sometimes and the throttling can be bad during buisness hours

Blaster99 wrote:
    They've been saying "upgrades will happen in the next two weeks" for about a month now, by the way.

On 3rock and have been upgraded without any form of notice to 2Mb down 2.8Mb up

On 3rock and have been upgraded without any form of notice to 2Mb down 2.8Mb up

any idea of what date it was upgraded??

• Advertisement

gline wrote:
    any idea of what date it was upgraded??

tuesday or wednesday before last making it 10th -11th

Advertisement