Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goal of the Season

• 16-05-2005 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭

Just watching MOTD there and here are their contenders for their Goal of the Season;

Patrick Berger (Charlton v Portsmouth)

Lee Hendrie (Villa v Palace)

Thierry Henry (Arsenal v Charlton)

Xabi Alonso (Liverpool v Arsenal)

Arjen Robben (Chelsea v Norwich)

Wayne Rooney (Man Utd v Midd'boro)

Thierry Henry (Arsenal v Palace)

Stelios Giannakopolis (Bolton v Norwich)

Erik Edman (Liverpool v Tottenham)

Wayne Rooney (Man Utd v Newcastle)

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool v Midd'boro)

Patrick Viera (Arsenal v Everton)

This month they gave it to Rooney ahead of Edman and Gerrard so maybe that rules them out even though its Hansen picking rather than Lawro.

I think you could add that Van Persie goal (v Blackburn possibly?), Wright-Phillips goal against Villa, some Bergkamp goal surely and Jimmy Floyd's free kick against City today.

I'm having serious difficulty deciding, although leaning towards Viera or Robben possibly. Or maybe Edman. Or Rooney or...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Its a tough choice for me between:

Patick Beger
    Wayne Rooney vs Newcastle
    and
    Steven Gerrard...

I think Berger might edge it though for technique and the strike....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

hard one to call to be honest as I cant remember half them.. getting old :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

I checked the motd site but they don't have any clips. I can't remember most of them to be honest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

you would have to pick xabi alonso's goal as it was pure genius and it was a goal that sent arsenal on there slump for a few games. But what about neil mellor's wonder strike in the last minute of that game, never even got a mention though!!!! wat yis think about that one cause the technique was superb!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

jonny24ie wrote:
    you would have to pick xabi alonso's goal as it was pure genius and it was a goal that sent arsenal on there slump for a few games. But what about neil mellor's wonder strike in the last minute of that game, never even got a mention though!!!! wat yis think about that one cause the technique was superb!!

You're right about Mellor but you could argue that it was Utd who started their slump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Berger - Great turn and shot from outside of the area into the top corner.

Henry v Charlton - Cheecky back heel. Not really GOTS material.

Xabi - Nice goal but not worthy of top ten imo.

Robben - Class team work goal and a nice finish. Very Chelsea.

Rooney v Midd - Outside of right foot volley over the keeper. Sweet.

Stelios - culer into the top corner from unusual corner of the box angle.

Edman - Smasher into the top corner from 2 miles away.

Rooney v Newcastle - Dipping curling volley after arguing with the ref.

Gerrard - Curler from a mile out.

Viera - Class team work goal. Gullit's sexy football.

Jimmy Floyd - Today. Rocket free kick.

SWP - ran past 15 or so players like Pele in the escape to victory :D .

Van Persie - Doing what Bergkamp does.

That oughta jog your memory there jesus_thats_gre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

you are a good man..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Berger's one for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

My goal of the season, didnt even make the list.
    Obviously becase the list was complied, before Jimmy had scored a free kick that was up there with Roberto Carlos' effort a few years back.
    He only took 2 steps, looked like it was sailing wide, curled back in and crashed back off the crossbar.
    Good thing Mourinho sold him off, otherwise Chelski could have doen the treble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Rooney V Newcastle for me but there are some class goals in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Has to be Gerrard. Everything about that goal was pure class. Even if the keeper was standing at the post, he wouldn't have had a hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

For me the best goal of the season was Ronaldhino's goal against chelsea. Where he does a little shimmie and then scores out of nothing even though there was a defender standing in front of him.

I don't know how he did it, and everyone watching couldn't believe it.

Definately the best goal i've seen this season :)

I reckon the one he scored against Valencia last week was better Memnoch. :)

But that one was still pure magic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Did anybody mention Yousif Safri's goal for Norwich....about 35yds out...hit the underside of the crossbar....

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Rooney vs Newcastle for me. Perfect volley. It had power, accuracy, curl, and the fact that he was running and arguing with the ref while going to strike it should really give it to Rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

For me

1. Robben Vs Norwich

2. Rooney vs Boro

3. Viera Vs Everton

1 and 3 great team goals, 2 individual brilliance.

Its hard to leave Berger, Gerrard and Alonso out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭cmcquaid

i reckon rooney against newcastle then berger and then stevie g. there were some unbeliveable goals in that list and some more that didnt even get on that list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Is there anywhere online the footage is available????

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Rooney or Gerard without a doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

It's gotta be

#1. Edman - what a strike closer to the halfway line than the edge of the box.

#2. Rooney vs Newcastle - superb volley, great technique

#3. Berger - superb volley, great technique

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I cant decide which of Rooneys was better. That one against Middlesbrough was fantastic, the best volleyed goal since Van Basten 88. The ball coming across your body on the run is the most difficult technique in football.

Draupnir wrote:
    the best volleyed goal since Van Basten 88.
    Christ. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Rooney vs Newcastle
    Rooney (volley) vs Boro
    Rooney (chip) vs Boro

If only the cup goals counted - i presume they mean in the PL.

Gerard scored a screamer of a goal against Boro too. Edmans screamer, Safris screamer. There were some excellent goals in the Arsenal - Boro match (5-3) at the start of the season (so long ago!). Jimmy's free kick yesterday against city.

I'd go for (PL only):

#1 Rooney vs Newcastle
    #2 Gerrard vs Boro
    #3 Edman vs Liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

It wasnt on the list, and Im surprised, but Dean Ashtons winner for Norwich Vs Newcastle was one of the best headers I have ever seen.

He watched it all the way(10 yards), rose between 2 defenders, and headed to the bottom corner from near the penalty spot. Amazing goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

where's Safri's goal vs Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Draupnir wrote:
    That one against Middlesbrough was fantastic, the best volleyed goal since Van Basten 88.

The one vs the toon was waaaaaaaay better, thats my goal of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

1. Berger
    2. Giggs (vs Chelsea CC Semi)
    3. Henry (vs Chelsea)

Forgot all about Safri - that was a class goal. Maybe I'm still bitter over him destroying Colin Healy. Undeniably brilliant goal though. Norwich got some pretty sweet goals this season actually.

Dena Ashton's winner at Newc was class - I wonder how long it has been since there was a header even in contention for GOTMonth let alone GOTSeason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Edman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Must say it has to be Rooneys vs the Toon. The Boro goal looked better but this was a much more difficult execution, close call though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Vieira vs. Everton was an amazing goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Has to be Rooney V Newcastle for pure brillance....argueing with ref and then runs about 10 yards and bang.......thats what you get for 28mil or whatever it was they paid for him.....not sure there is many players in the world that could do the same

Second would be Aston Villa bound Berger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Edman for me. What a strike! Then it'd be Mellor's goal against arsenal,even though it aint on the list. But my top 3 from the list would be
    1:Edman
    2:Berger
    3:Gerrard(vs Boro)/(or Alonso vs Arse) Still not sure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

jonny24ie wrote:
    Utd started that slump. Tbh Mellor's was really a fluke but he isn't good enough to do that intentionally.

Berger's goal for me

• Advertisement

Finally decided my top three after starting the thread and dodging my own question;

1 Edman
    2 Rooney (v Newc)
    3 Viera (Although I might drop him after his Roy Keane comments))

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Gangsta wrote:
    Utd started that slump. Tbh Mellor's was really a fluke but he isn't good enough to do that intentionally.

Berger's goal for me

yeah i know they started it but that game made it worse for them. if arsenal had drawn that match it would have been a great confidence boost for them and they wouldnt have gone on to a run so bad.
    and how can you say mellor didnt mean that. one of the hardest techniques to do running across a ball and hittin it so sweetly. WHAT A GOAL MAN!!!

3 Viera (Although I might drop him after his Roy Keane comments))

And that affects the quality of the goal how?

Seriously though, watch the Vieira goal.
    Its 4 perfect one touch passes with a quality finish at the end. Such great great football, by 4 players! 4!

Sure Rooney's strike might have been amazing but it was only by one person, and one person can get lucky, cough Mellor :), and even Rooneys goal to an extent.
    The Arsenal goal wasn't down to luck in the slighest

PHB wrote:
    Seriously though, watch the Vieira goal.
    Its 4 perfect one touch passes with a quality finish at the end. Such great great football, by 4 players! 4!

Sure Rooney's strike might have been amazing but it was only by one person, and one person can get lucky, cough Mellor :), and even Rooneys goal to an extent.
    The Arsenal goal wasn't down to luck in the slighest

Yeah but Rooney very rarely misses the target with his long range efforts. It definitely wasn't a lucky strike.

Vieira's goal was amazing too but I wouldn't have had it in my top 3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Then Rooney would be scoring long range shots every match? Vieira's was much better.

Yeh exactly, I'm not saying he doesn't have the right technique or something but the nature of long range shots is that it is hit or miss, some other day it could have hit the bar, like it did against WBA I think with that amazing strike from 40 yards out.

That Vieira goal happens week in and week out from Arsenal because it is entirly based on skill, no hit or missness, its just perfection

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    And that affects the quality of the goal how?

Sorry - here have one of these :D . Forgot about the fact that sarcasm doesn't exist online without smilies. I was joking. The goal is undoubtedly brilliant.

I don't think Rooney's was lucky at all, I'm no big fan of his but his technique is excellent, especially at long range. Still, Edman is the goal for me.

Advertisement