Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Advice needed - QuinnDirect

Options
  • 16-05-2005 7:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Hi, my insurance is up next month. So i'm looking to renew it.

I drive a 1.2 Punto :rolleyes:

I'm 21 and on a Prov licence.

This past year i have paid almost 4000e on insurance, i'm not 100% sure which insurance company(it's a small rather unknown company) but i went through Top Quote brokers.

Now i was going to ring up a few brokers and try and get a good quote, but i just did an online quote with quinn-direct and they've quoted me E1967, which even though it's still high, it's ****ing great considering what i payed last year.

My question is, is it worth my while even ringing a few brokers? Surely they won't find me anything cheaper?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

Oh yeah, can i also get confirmation on something, Even though i only have a provisional licence, i'm still entitled to my 1 years NCB yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

just got a insured with quinn direct for a 1.4 97 fiesta and they were the cheapest around (me & g/f both 28 tho).

the g/f is only on her provisional and has had the equivalent of 25 lessons (14x double lessons) and they offered her a 1yr NCB because of that, so yes I'd say it will count for you.

also, it is still worth trying the brokers because quite often they will get you a better quote than you would get yourself with the same insurance companies. (read the stickes in this forum for more info and some good links).

what p1ssed me off though was that i've held a full licence for 11 years and they quoted me €400 more as the main driver with her as a named driver than the other way round. so being a girl on a provisional with 25 driving lessons is worth more than being a bloke with 11 years driving experience because I haven't been on a policy for more than 5 years.

crazy, but what can you do.

I guess it'll be different next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Why do people bother with Quinn Direct, just hope you never have any sort of accident or claim to make.

Their policys really are weak

well it's either pay 2000 grand for quinn direct or pay 4000 grand somewhere else. I think you'd have to be a complete dumbass to pay 4000 on the off chance you have an accident.

I just got a quote of 1900 off insure.ie with ''Hibernian Brokerline Direct Full Cycle''. Does anyone know much about this? The link to the ''what's covered'' part is broken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

bonzai bob wrote:
    Oh yeah, can i also get confirmation on something, Even though i only have a provisional licence, i'm still entitled to my 1 years NCB yeah?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

people bother with quinn direct becauser they are cheaper than everyone else until you are over 30 and have some NCB's behind you.

I'll be checking after 12 months to see what the craic is with my insurance and to see if we can get it any cheaper elsewhere.

until then though, the cheapest co. wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Paid my renewal on a peugeot partner van last week, father is the named driver. Cost me 1300 last year this year it cost me 750. Was pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Same as,
    Mine was ~€1400 last year with Hibernian
    It is ~€660 this year with AXA, happy days.
    If it keeps going that way, next year i'm getting a 2.5L !!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

bazH wrote:
    Why do people bother with Quinn Direct, just hope you never have any sort of accident or claim to make.

Their policys really are weak

Word has it that things have changed at Quinn over the last year or two. There's a new guy (ex Garda detective afaik) in charge of claims, and they seem to be pushing to settle claims quickly now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭confetti

try national insurance ltd,
    i was with quinn my 1st year, then national insurance were cheaper my second year, im back with quinn now, but itd be worth a try to call n.i.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭smokingman

I'm 29 and on my second provisional - got quoted 2200 from Quinn Direct!
    Said feck this and got a 1400 quote from http://www.brittoninsurance.com!

policy is good and I'm not being ripped off too!

...nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pdid

im 21, first ever policy. Got quoted 2200e from britton insurance (best quote around) but wasnt bothered doing the I.A.M course. The next best quote was quinn direct for 2548e and didnt have to do the I.A.M course so i am now insured with Quinn. Quinn also give you an open drive policy which is pretty cool, enabling you to drive someone elses car.
    N.B this quote was for third party fire and theft.
    For the best quote for young drivers go to britton but their not as proffesional as quinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

I have to say i found hibernian to be the best for me . im 23 on a full licence for 3 years. did the ignition test year and a half ago. first years insurance on a 1.4 1999 focus was 2200 fully comp and it dropped to 1400 this year. the next cheapest quote for this year was quinn and they were quoting me 1900 3rd party. so for a whole lot less with hibernian i have free breakdown assistance, driving other cars, and better service.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Cosworth

vibe666 wrote:
    (me & g/f both 28 tho).
    so being a girl on a provisional with 25 driving lessons is worth more than being a bloke with 11 years driving experience because I haven't been on a policy for more than 5 years.

No policy for last 5 years
    And 11 years driving experience is 16 years in total
    28 minus 16 is 12

So you started driving at 12??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Cosworth wrote:
    No policy for last 5 years
    And 11 years driving experience is 16 years in total
    28 minus 16 is 12

So you started driving at 12??

He doesn't have 11 years driving experience, he's held a LICENCE for 11 years. But he's presumably only been driving a total of 6 years as he's not been insured for a period of 5 years.

I can understand why an insurer would up your policy if you've not been insured and driving for 5 years!

vibe666 wrote:
    the g/f is only on her provisional and has had the equivalent of 25 lessons (14x double lessons) and they offered her a 1yr NCB because of that, so yes I'd say it will count for you..

Which insurer? Did she have to get a certificate from the driving school? An NCB discount would be great for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Find a woman purporting to be your girlfriend / wife, and put her on it as a named driver! It reduced my insurance by 25%, except she really was the missus :)

testicle wrote:
    Find a woman purporting to be your girlfriend / wife, and put her on it as a named driver! It reduced my insurance by 25%, except she really was the missus :)

I'm a girl :)

pdid wrote:
    im 21, first ever policy. Got quoted 2200e from britton insurance (best quote around) but wasnt bothered doing the I.A.M course. The next best quote was quinn direct for 2548e and didnt have to do the I.A.M course so i am now insured with Quinn. Quinn also give you an open drive policy which is pretty cool, enabling you to drive someone elses car.
    N.B this quote was for third party fire and theft.
    For the best quote for young drivers go to britton but their not as proffesional as quinn.
    are you serious? open drive policy when insured tpft? That's pretty damn good.

I think i might go with quinn, just for pur convenience? All i have to do is fill out my bank details. Plus all the other quotes i'm gettin i'm pretty sure i have to do an iginition course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

eth0_ wrote:
    I'm a girl :)

Yes, but I assume Bonzai_Bob isn't ;)

Am i in a position to negotiate?

Top Quote sent out my renewal forms, they've quoted me about 2200, would they bring that price down if i told them quinn have quoted me 1960?

Also, the info top quote sent me out has a differnet birth date to mine, it says 23/04/1983 where as my birthday is 23/09/1983, would this make my policy null and void or would it just be a clerical error and treated as such?

Null and void. YOU are supposed to check the accuracy of the your information before you sign the insurance documents.

Also, your insurance would probably be a bit cheaper if you'd just turned 22 last month.

so what do i do about it?

Advertisement