Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuner Info for Irish Republic,Please ?

Options
  • 16-05-2005 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi guys,
    Is there anyone on this board who could please shed some light on the following for me, I am on the verge of buying a plasma tv maybe panasonic or pioneer i am based in the uk , but we are going back to Ireland ( Galway ) in the coming months,my question is must the tv have a duel tuner UHF/VHF ? or would a tv with a UHF tuner be okay ? I here so many conflicting stories, I thought i better ask on this board as you guys seem to be up to speed on these matters :cool: I am sure you understand i dont wish to spend £2000+ and then arrive in Ireland and it will not work ? I plan on using Sky digital with the TV when i have it all set up ? Any information would be most welcome. Thanks for your time guys!

James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

If you want to get basic cable from NTL you will need a dual tuner. We only get two or three channels in on UHF. If you go with NTL Digital or Sky Digital it doesn't matter what tuner it has as you can just plug it straight into the scart socket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 james_francis

Thanks Ciaran :cool: So the bottom line is if you use Sky digital ( which i intend to use ) It doesn't matter what tuner is in the tv ? If so that is excellent news :) I just didn't wish to be in the position of arriving in Galway and the plasma wouldn't work for me as i am sure you will understand. Thanks Ciaran.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

If you decide to get terrestrial or basic NTL you can always buy a converter box. I had to when I moved here from the North.

MrP

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Or, more conveniently and cheaper, buy a VCR and use it for VHF channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Or just buy a tv with VHF/UHF. Most tv's will do it.

John

• Advertisement
Advertisement