Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microchipping pets?

Options
  • 16-05-2005 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I have now had my cat returned to me safely and am considering the possibility of having her microchipped. Has anybody had this done to their pet, and if so I would be grateful if you could tell me a bit more about it! For example, how is the microchip inserted? And does it hurt the animal much?

Thanks very much!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jay567

Hi,
    Got my 2 dogs chipped when i got them. Its a tiny chip that gets inserted under the skin via a needle. It wont hurt anymore than a reg injection. It works like a super market scanner. Ur pet gets lost shows up in a pound, the pound will scan the animal. The scan will show a serial number, they ring the company that provides the chips nationaly and they put the serial number into a computer which then shows ur address.
    Hope it helps.

Must say its a great idea and well worth getting done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

So, how do you get your pet chipped? I'm about to pick up my first German Shepherd, and would be very interested in getting this done. Who does it and how much does it cost? Are there any recurring charges from the chip provider, such as for maintaining their database etc?

Most vets will provide the service. Think its around 38 - 42 euro. Its a once off payment and ur pets safe.

Chiped pet = Pet goes missing, highly likley u get a call
    Non Chipped = Pet goes missing, u jump in the car and drive around for a few days trying to find them.

If u are ever going to travel abroad with ur pet, they need the chip!

Good luck with the new german shepard, got one myself. Very cleaver.

Cheers, Jay. I reckon I'll definitely go with that, so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

As and from January 2006,all puppies born that require IKC registration will have to be microchipped first, which is a great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 sgmallen

Just to let you know, I got onto my vet at Gilabbey Vetinary Hospital and they said it costs €60 to get it done there and it is the same procedure as a regular injection as the microchip is so small (bout the size of a grain of rice they said!) and it shouldn't hurt more than a regular injection. They are sending me out a leftlet on it so if I find anything else out I'll let you know! :)

60 Sounds alot, unless its doubled in the last 3 yrs. humm try shopping around, id be suprised if u dont get it cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Nala wrote:
    As and from January 2006,all puppies born that require IKC registration will have to be microchipped first, which is a great idea.

And I think at the moment if you want to change ownership of an already registered animal you have to supply the chip number.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ours cost €40 back in December 2004, but we got a small discount as we were getting two cats done at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Shop around for it, the most you should really have to pay is about 50, I payed 40 or 45 for my dogs chips.
    They sometimes flinch when they are chipped but it's very quick and then they just scan the chip to make sure it's working.

Some rescues in the Dublin area now offer microchipping I think for about 40 or 45 euro...although not 100% sure if it's in place yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 sgmallen

Thanks for that. I will certainly ask around to see various prices! :)

I asked a lady from the ISPCA about these chips. She says that there are different providers, with different serial numbers so, even if a lost dog has their chip checked (which, apparently, is by no means guaranteed), there may not be a match, depending on who/where the chip is checked by. Is this just another example of frustrating Irish administration, or is it a Europe-wide problem? In some ways, I hope it's just Irish. :rolleyes:

Garibaldi wrote:
    I asked a lady from the ISPCA about these chips. She says that there are different providers, with different serial numbers so, even if a lost dog has their chip checked (which, apparently, is by no means guaranteed), there may not be a match, depending on who/where the chip is checked by. Is this just another example of frustrating Irish administration, or is it a Europe-wide problem? In some ways, I hope it's just Irish. :rolleyes:
    From a bit of Googling it is apparent that the whole thing is indeed a bit of a mess. There is an organisation that is trying to tie all these various national and manufacturer databases together called EuroPetnet (www.europetnet.com), but entering our cats' chip numbers came up with no answer. The chip is a common sort, Indexel manfactured by Merial, and they're supposedly registered with Ani-Mark in Blackrock which seems to be the main one here in Ireland as far as I can tell, and should be one of the first to be tried. They don't have a website that I can find (typical!) so I can't check there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭crazymonkey

the ispca done my yorkie last month for E20, at that price its worth geting it done, petzone or europet i think its reg with (must check that).

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭crazymonkey

Nala wrote:

was just going to say, that

there is also talk of pet passports coming out,

there is also talk of pet passports coming out,
    Talk? They've been available since last July !!!!!

See http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/index.jsp?file=pets/index.xml for more information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

When you get your dog or cat chipped - please put a tag on a collar saying I am microchipped - its also good to put neutered as well - even if they are not just to stop thieves stealing your pet.

Also as far as I know not all pounds will scan pets so a tag will let them know to scan the pet etc.

Advertisement