Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hand Held Speed Cameras

Options
  • 16-05-2005 10:45am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

Do the cops have hand held speed cameras or are the only ones stationery??

I passed out a car this morning in a 100km zone, doing just under 70mph (in km???), he had the handheld jobbie, looked at me as I was passing and that was it.

Actually can he take my number down and do me for speeding, without stopping me?

And are there handheld speed cameras now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I haven't time to explain the situation with intercept/non-intercept tickets but this has been discussed many time before on this forum you'll find it if you search. Anyhow the Gardai do have handheld guns. Radar guns (aka hairdryers are handheld) I think it may be possible to use laser guns handheld too but I've only ever seen 'em on tripods

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

BrianD3 wrote:
    I haven't time to explain the situation with intercept/non-intercept tickets but this has been discussed many time before on this forum you'll find it if you search. Anyhow the Gardai do have handheld guns. Radar guns (aka hairdryers are handheld) I think it may be possible to use laser guns handheld too but I've only ever seen 'em on tripods
    plus the whole debate over the accuracy of your own speedo. although 12% is boder-line as to both the accuracy of the speedo, and the "allowance" the cop will give ya.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ya. I think it was a hairdryer, he took a look at me when I passed him but did not signal or anything, time will tell I suppose!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Yeah I'd say 12% would be pushing it :) One problem is there doesn't seem to be any transparency about the "leeway" I don't know what the error is on the guns and I wouldn't be surprised if there are flaws in the calibration and validation procedures used by the gardai. Each individual gun (of the same type) may have a different error. Minor differences in how different operators use the gun may have an effect on the reading. Temperature may have an effect on the reading. Who knows?

Anyhow, it should be said that these "guns" are just speed measuring devices NOT cameras as a lot of people including the OP seem to think.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There are bound to be loads of validation errors. Even the fact that Muldoon has is mobile phone in his pocket affects the reading but it doesn't matter. If they say you were over the limit then the law says tough.
    The legal position is on the driver to ensure they are under the limit. If your speedo is off then tough!
    Anyway, the chances of the OP being caught are unlikely. I reckon that the garda was using the hairdryer which requires him to stop the car and issue a ticket.
    yop wrote:
    Actually can he take my number down and do me for speeding, without stopping me?
    You mean can he scribble a car reg and speed down on the back of a fag box and hope that any solicitor won't rip him to shreds in a court? :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement