Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CL Final - AC Milan vs. Liverpool (scores)

• 16-05-2005 11:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

Milans result at the weekend means their domestic season is as good as over, and Liverpools most certainly over both clubs attention will now be firmly on the game in ten days time in Istanbul.

Speculation has it that Liverpool are ready to enter negotatiations with the teams that have registered an interest in Baros. Certainly out of favour in the long term has he any prospects of regaining his place after Cisses Man of the match performance in his first start since October?

Liverpool will have their full squad available for the first time in the CL pretty much all season - even Kewells performance yesterday has given Benetiz decisions to make.

It'd be hard to see the back 5 changing at all. Gerrard and Alonso are also certain, Riise will play (though ideally for me this would be at left back). Garcia couldn't be dropped. Ciise looks likely for me after Baros season and big mouth. Kewell or Hamann for the final berth in the team?

For Milan probable end of their challenge for Seria A means they can rest some of the legs that looked so jaded against PSV. Also Ambrosini is now an injury doubt for them as well.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

It's gonna be a cracker! Baros has to go too. He's done nothing but moan about not getting full 90 minutes even though he's not bagging the goals. If we'd sold him last summer we'd have gotten 15M+. We'd be lucky to get €5M now after the season he's had.

Team should be:

The Dude!
    Finnan-Sami-Carragher-Traore
    Hamman
    -Garcia-Gerrard-Alonso-Riise-
    Cisse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

LFCFan wrote:
    It's gonna be a cracker! Baros has to go too. He's done nothing but moan about not getting full 90 minutes even though he's not bagging the goals. If we'd sold him last summer we'd have gotten 15M+. We'd be lucky to get €5M now after the season he's had.

Team should be:

The Dude!
    Hamman
    Cisse

Agree with the team mate !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I agree too with the exception of Traore. Every time he goes near the ball in a defensive position, I have a mild heart attack. I'd rather Riise at LB with Kewell playing on the wing. If Warnock is available I'd like to see him play LB with Riise on the wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

i'd like to see that team!! but i have a feeling he will start baros and bring on cisse as fresh legs for the second half as they will have to run ragged against the milan defence it going to be a tight nervy game i can see this going to penos though 0-0 or 1-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Dudek
    Finnan---Hypia---Carra---Riise
    Hammann

Gerrard--Alonso
    Garcia
    Kewell
    Cisse

Largely the same as what others have said, played with alonso staying put dead centre controlling the game with his passing with gerrard able to drive forward to latch onto those passes and be a general midfield dynamo. Think everyone could run their socks off and maybe replace hammann with biscan towards the end as he's gonna be flah'ed, still nt match fit. If chasing a goal swap hammann for baros and put alonso into hammann's role. Putting a lot of faith in kewell here but surely SURELY even he has to perform in a champions league final!!

Honestly think this is a team that can win, good balance between attack and defence with potential changes available to change it depending on circumstances of game. Come on the 'Pool!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

the flanks need to be guarded well though, kaka likes to drift left, and Cafu will break down the right, unlike Maldini on the left.

Kewell to break a sweat? Still be offloaded this summer if someone will pay his wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

This is interesting and more "evidence" that Liverpool will win!
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4530239.stm
    Liverpool to wear red in Istanbul

Liverpool will wear their traditional red home kit for the Champions League final against AC Milan on 25 May.
    Milan were due to wear their usual red and black stripes after being drawn as the 'home' team.

But the two clubs have agreed that the Italians will play in white - which they wore while beating Juventus to claim the Champions League in 2003.

Liverpool's four previous European Cup victories have come while wearing red against teams playing in white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was going to start a thread on this next weekend! :D

Both the starting line ups look good, but I'd hate to see a final without Biscan playing his part. I guess he could replace Hamann after 60 mins.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    I was going to start a thread on this next weekend! :D

I know, I know. But I, like both the squads, have diverted my attn to this game!!

Biscan 'deserves' a run out, but thats hardly grounds to give him one!! Kewell on the other hand doesn't deserve a run out, but I think he'll get it. He actually may be the key for Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

well clearly it doesnt matter who plays since liverpool will be wearing red

on a non sarcastic note. playing biscuit just because he was all we had available in previous rounds doesnt mean he should be given a pat on the back and put in the starting line up. hamman should be put in ahead of him everytime.

i'd also start with cisse, he's far more enthusiastic on the pitch than baros and far more active. i actually like baros, but i think cisse would do more damage if he starts, baros would be a good substitution in the last 30 mins of the score is level

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

in fairness to kewell the last two times ive seen him, chelsea at home and villa yesterday i thought he's looked pretty sharp. Maybe he's startin to come good! evvvvventually!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Kewell better not start, and should only come on if we are chasing the game, with Riise moving to left back. For too long Kewell has been "due a big game". The Champions League final is not the place to gamble on Harry Kewell deciding to take off his invisibility cloak. Even if he has done ok since coming back.

Biscan probably deserves a place based on what he has actually done (as opposed to what Kewell *could* do), but I cant see and dont want Benetiz going with anything but Hamann, Alsonso and Gerrard.

Cisse or Baros up front? Id probably start with Baros. Cisse still isnt fully fit, and I think Baros can attack the ageing Milan back four from the first whistle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

The Dude!
    Hamman
    Cisse

Thats a good team imo....but I think Baroshíte will be on and then
    Cisse
    will come on as a sub...He (baroshíte) might even play well as he's looking for a
    new
    club and everyone will be watching the final....

Cafu causes alot of trouble down the wing so he has to be broken to
    pieces,
    same for shev!!

I hope Kewell doesn't come on I don't rate him at all....

Hope Rafa gets rid of the following duds in the summer:-

Milan Baros
    Harry Kewell
    Vladimir Smicer (out of contract I think ne way)
    Mauricio Pellegrino
    Salif Diao
    Antonio Nunez (ok maybe it'll take him another season to be good)
    Djimi Traore
    Florent Sinama Pongolle
    Gregory Vignal
    - Alou Diarra
    - David Mannix
    - Carl Medjani
    - Bruno Cheyrou
    - El-Hadji Diouf (scum)

and brings in some more decent players.....

just my 2 cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Access list for 2005/6 CL

TH = Titleholders.......

:D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Get in, looks like Uefa have made a call on this then, now all we have to do is go and win the damn thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

el rabitos wrote:
    well clearly it doesnt matter who plays since liverpool will be wearing red

Maybe a bit of a weird question but is it AC who got given home team privileges and thus their red home kit or was it Liverpool? Cant recall any good perfromance from the Pool in that terrible yellow shirt all season!!

I still think we'll do it cos AC just plain wont know what to do and make of us. Its usually the italian sides who are the ones to do just enough and edge games out by a goal but its been Liverpool who've been doing that in the previous rounds whereas PSV proved the AC defence is beatable and not always the mighty fortress they proudly boast of. Fancy Riise for a goal and this may be presumptious but 2-0 to the Pool.

KdjaC wrote:
    Access list for 2005/6 CL

TH = Titleholders.......

Who or what linked you to that? dating from Feb this year as it is, undoubtedly the same rationale as the FA page will be applied i.e not official statement of policy so much as PR bod presumption

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

uberwolf wrote:
    Who or what linked you to that? dating from Feb this year as it is, undoubtedly the same rationale as the FA page will be applied i.e not official statement of policy so much as PR bod presumption

The news post about Porto is feb explaining why they have extra spot.

The table is constantly updated as its also the rankings, i check it for IRL spot.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

baros played well and was top scorer till he got injured, he hasn't done much in the way of scoring since. Hes still a threat tho and would hound the Milan defense for the first 60mins better than Cisse would. Bring Cisse on to wrap it up with his pace if we've managed to sneak a lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

"Maybe a bit of a weird question but is it AC who got given home team privileges and thus their red home kit or was it Liverpool?"

milan were drawn as the home team, liverpool requested to be allowed wear the red strip because they won all 4 previous european cups wearing it.

milan agreed. probably because they wont their past 4 wearing white

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I think it will be starting with

The Dude!
    Hamman
    Baros

I don't think Benitez will start with Kewell on the left because he will want to contain Cafu for the first 30mins and Riise will keep him busy.
    Ciise will come on for last 20-25min.
    Hamann has to be there to contain Kaka.
    Options there with Riise playing LB if Traore is playing a howler and Kewell to come in at LM. Either Biscan or Nunez for last 5 min to hold on for a 1-0 victory.

Where are people watching the match?

I'm going to Liverpool for the night so was wondering if there are any good pub recommendations or will they have a big screen at Anfield?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I'll go for a 2-0 Milan win. Shevchenko and Pirlo being the scorers.

Knowing my previous predictions Liverpool will probably win 2-0... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I'm going to Liverpool for the night so was wondering if there are any good pub recommendations or will they have a big screen at Anfield?

No big screen at Anfield according to this.

further on AC Milan tiredness

Ex-AC Milan player Martin Laursen says that Liverpool could be in with a great chance of beating his former club next week - due to the tiredness of the Italian side.

Danish international Laursen was at Milan for three years prior to his £3million pound move to Aston Villa during the summer, and still keeps in touch with his former team-mates, including fellow Dane Jon Dahl Tomasson. Milan have been fighting to win the title in Italy, and this means they are playing big games right up until the final.

On Friday Milan play their final league game before the final, and if they don't win then they will be handing the title to Juventus. Even if they win, Juventus can then take the title themselves on Sunday. Liverpool meanwhile played their last league game on Sunday, and Benitez was able to rest players with the game no longer having any significance.

Members of Carlo Ancelotti's Milan side have told Laursen that the Serie A fight has proved a strain: "If Milan are a bit tired that can be their weakness. I have seen them the last couple of times and talked to some of their players and they are feeling a bit tired," said the Dane.

The Villa player continued: "They have been playing every three days and they cannot, like Liverpool, prepare solely for the match. Milan are playing in Serie A all the way to the final. They play Palermo before Liverpool and I think Liverpool have a better preparation for the final. You can always find energy for a final, but Liverpool's preparation will be ideal."

Despite this tiredness, Laursen sees Liverpool as the underdog: "I personally have Milan as favourites, not because Liverpool weaker but because Milan are used to these big, big finals and have experienced them so many times. This will be Paolo Maldini's seventh final and a lot of the players are still around from when we won the Champions League at Old Trafford two years ago. I think they are the favourites, but a final is always open."

Like I said starting this thread - and like Chelsea were accused, this kinda fatigue doesn't lift with a few days rest, and at their age Milan may suffer

Ambrosini is a doubt for the champs league final
    - http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s342/st73292.htm?fromrss=1
    Milan star to miss Liverpool game?By European Football - May 17 2005

Massimo Ambrosini is a major doubt for the UEFA Champions League final, after suffering a thigh injury in the first have of the game against Lecce.

He is set to have a scan later this week, but he is rated as extremely doubtful by the Milan Medical staff:

"Massimo always has pain and it isn't an easy thing."

"We will evaluate things better after he has scans and further medical checks.

"But the situation, ten days before Istanbul, isn't easy."

was just thinkin that even though this year has been abysmal from a results point of view, from a business side could probably prove to be the most profitable year for a long time.
    Anyone know (hypathetically) if we were to win champs league and qualify then for next year how would profits compare with other years?
    or even how'd we compare even if we lose the final, would imagine still not bad, 2 cup finals, one shown worldwide, must have made a good amount of money?

no big screen in anfield but they are showing it on a big screen in clayton square in the city centre for people who arent going to istanbul

~Rebel~ wrote:
    was just thinkin that even though this year has been abysmal from a results point of view, from a business side could probably prove to be the most profitable year for a long time.
    Anyone know (hypathetically) if we were to win champs league and qualify then for next year how would profits compare with other years?
    or even how'd we compare even if we lose the final, would imagine still not bad, 2 cup finals, one shown worldwide, must have made a good amount of money?

Winning the CL is worth about 32 million sterling to the winner, making the final is worth 28 I think. (open to correction!)

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The winning team will be as follows.

Dida

Stam--Nesta--Maldini--Kaladze

Pirlo

----Gattuso
    Seedorf

kaká

Shevchenko
    Inzaghi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I think Benitez will select the following formation:

Dudek
    Finnan--Carra-Hyppia-Traore
    ----Hamman----Alonso
    -Garcia----Gerrard
    Riise-
    Baros

Its not exactly the formation I would pick but its close.
    I'd rather see Carra playing in the left CB position closer
    to Traore and covering for him and for Hyppia. Carra and
    Finnan play very well together and the weaknesses I see
    are usually down the other flank.

I think Benitez will have Hamman and Alonso playing
    the deeper midfield roles, with Gerrard pushed forward
    where he can use his pace against the Milan defenders
    and Gatuso. I think Benitez will stick with Baros who's
    "running with the head down" technique will keep the Milan
    backs busy for some of the time. He will keep Cisse as
    an option and bring him on at 60 mins at the latest, maybe
    switching to a 4-4-2 as the legs of Hamman and Baros tire.
    Biscan should also get a game at some point probably for
    Hamann. He may bring on Kewell with 10 mins to go or
    something, he seems to have gone back to liking him of late,
    for whatever reason. I dont think we can trust Kewell to
    produce anything though. I guess Kewell realises that this is
    the CL final and now is the time to produce and not to moan.
    He has a worse case of Gerrarditis than Stevie has.

Its all to play for. I think this Milan team can be beaten at
    the back but Liverpool's defence will need to be rock solid.
    If there are no mistakes, the CL is there for the taking, so a
    lot will depend on how the players handle the tension and if
    they mess up things or not. If the likes of Dudek and Hyppia
    and Traore can avoid howlers or mistakes, then it really is
    game on. Any one of the usual suspects can get a goal for
    Liverpool, even Baros who is overdue one.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I can really see a comfortable AC win to be honest. There is nothing in the Liverpool attack that would make me change my mind. Baros, muck, head down runs into corners worst finisher, if you sold him during summer youd make a fortune, now youll be making little. The Italian teams are built around defense, so unless there is pure gun ho by Liverpool cant see them scoring many if at all.

On the other hand I can see AC really cuasing problems. Traore left back is a major week link, make me sick cause my cousin was at liverpool and was hailed as a future denis irwin, and they have this guy instead. Finnan is looking solid with Carragher shining this season, and Hyppia, well looks unsteady, dont be suprised to see Shevvy walking near Hyppia and Traore.

I think that Liverpool, well, i stil lcant understand how they got this far. But some major adjustments needed in summer. I love listening to liverpool fans ranting bout how they beat chelsea and there millions. Under Gerrard Houllier, he spent over 250 million building his team, of useless talent.
    They need to get rid of useless players like nunez,traore,pongol, that fat gerrard up front.

And o yes buy some good wingers!!!Finaly they realise how good Riise is on the wings.

Seaneh wrote:
    The winning team will be as follows:
    Stam--Nesta--Maldini--Kaladze

Stam at right back, great! Dont see that happening though.

As for the "winning" team, you must be a time traveller then, did you take a wrong turn and go to the wrong parallel universe? Check your Tardis settings. Bring it back to the garage if they look dodgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Hydromonkey

I think that Liverpool, well, i stil lcant understand how they got this far. But some major adjustments needed in summer. I love listening to liverpool fans ranting bout how they beat chelsea and there millions. Under Gerrard Houllier, he spent over 250 million building his team, of useless talent.
    They need to get rid of useless players like nunez,traore,pongol, that fat gerrard up front.

If you're gonna slate them at least get your facts nearly right. Houllier spent about 100 million on players over 5 years, alot of which was recouped from sales, remember he got about 14m for Fowler. Of the palyers you mention Nunez was only ever a stop gap, Traore has improved alot and is imo easily worthy of a squad place and Pongolle is still very young and showed alot of promise before his injury

Traore being worthy of a squad place says everything to me and people who dont support liverpool all about liverpool. That 5th place was a reasonable fair position, cause anyone with Traore in their team should not be pushing for champions league.

And the facts i read in papers, and on sky sports news at the end of his reign, was over 250 million.

Also Pongol proved himself by scoring goals against very weak defenses =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

they spent £110m and sold players for £68m.

• Advertisement

Chelsea have spent £250 million since Roman arrived....

Mike.

i thought for once that the title of this thread "CL FINAL" might encourage a bit of support for Liverpool but i guess its only understandable that some fans need to vent their jealousy and anger at the possibility of us winning number 5 which all English teams can only dream of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

Gerrard Houllier, he spent over 250 million building his team, of useless talent.
    Useless talent that still picked up 6 trophies........a terrible return :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Benetiz can't play Kewell.
    Riise is first off
    very attacking as a full back, which can be a bad thing
    not a good enough defender to handle the left on his own

Kewell isn't a huge team player, and will disappear. He might do some great stuff in attack, but Cafu has lots of assists this year and Kewell will have to police that.
    You can tell for sure that Riise will.

----

Baros imo deserves to start. He has taken the team this far with his preformances up front and since Cisse isn't 100% fit then he really shouldn't be playing against one of the best defenses in the world.

Stam is going to be playing, no doubt about it after his form this year, but I'd imagine it will be in the CB position with Nesta, with Maldini playing on the left, and Ambro something cant think of his name on the right.

---

Liverpool will get some chances in this game, but I don't think they will be clinical enough.
    Chelsea weren't able to break down Liverpool due to a weak attack imo, Milan have magic in their attack. Shev + Kaka can create something from nothgin and probably will.
    I think this means that Benetiz is gona have to be attacking as much as possible, which will in turn leave them very vulnerable to the best counter-attack team in the world.

That said, I still wouldn't want to call this game.
    But I will anyway,
    Milan 2-0 with a goal in the first half and another nicked when Liverpool are going nuts at them towards the end

Call me the eternal optimist here but im gonna go for a one nil win to Liverpool with Carra again putting in one of the greatest performances in a Liverpool shirt - a la Chelsea at Anfield.

It's made for Cisse to score the winner after what he's been through. What a story that would be!

• Advertisement

I'm going for a 3-1 win to Pool - two from Cisse and one from Riise or Garcia.
    I dont care who scores for Milan.

Mike.

The result of this game is nearly impossible to predict, never mind the score. The current bookie (Boylesports) odds are:

AC Milan 11/10
    Draw 2/1
    Liverpool 11/4

Can this game go to a replay or must it be finished on the night?

Here are some of the scoreline odds:

AC Milan Win
    1 - 0 5/1
    2 - 0 13/2
    2 - 1 8/1
    3 - 0 20/1
    3 - 1 22/1
    3 - 2 33/1
    4 - 0 66/1

Match to Draw
    0 - 0 11/2
    1 - 1 5/1
    2 - 2 14/1
    3 - 3 80/1

Liverpool Win
    1 - 0 13/2
    2 - 0 18/1
    2 - 1 14/1
    3 - 0 50/1
    3 - 1 50/1
    3 - 2 40/1
    4 - 0 100/1

So, a Milan 1-0 win or a 1-1 draw (over 90 mins) being the most likely.

Dont forget that bookies are wrong 49% of the time!

Redspider

redspider wrote:
    Can this game go to a replay or must it be finished on the night?

Match must be finished on the night.

Extra time then penalties. Personally i cant see how people are blowing on so much about the milan defence, in theory they're fantastic totally agree, but in practice they've been very dodgy of late, costing them the scudetto. They'll also be fúcked tired as are playing right up till the final.

Im gonna put money on the penalties anyway, could easily see a 0-0 or a 1-1, when was the last champs league final that lived up to the hype? (gonna ignore last years result in this respect cause was most unexpected disappointing final lineup ever![unless you're from monaco or porto of course])

Think it'll be scrappy game with a lot of staunch defending and could see liverpool nicking a goal with the genius of football that is sheva getting one back then onto peno's and its anyones guess!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

They'll also be fúcked tired as are playing right up till the final.

They aren't.
    They have lost the Serie A.
    They know it

Believe me, I know from painful experience, fatigue doesn't pass after a weeks break. Especially at the age of some of their players.

Liverpools injury problems all season look like a blessing in disguise now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

8/1 for Milan to win 2-1........seems very likely.

Milan have lost the league but they'll still have to turn up against Palermo the friday before the final. while it probably wont take a whole lot out of them id imagine it will stop them getting any more rested. Im sure they wont be totally ragged around the pitch but the difference between a team with a break and a team without could be telling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

PHB wrote:
    They aren't.
    They have lost the Serie A.
    They know it

Laursen said in the interview on page 1 of this thread "I have seen them the last couple of times and talked to some of their players and they are feeling a bit tired". Regardless of whether they have lost Serie A, they're still a bit knackered from the tough battle they've had with Juve all season along with their other domestic/european games. I think their fatigue was evident in their last couple of Seria A games and champs league games especially.

Baros imo deserves to start. He has taken the team this far with his preformances up front

What Baros are you talking about? Any time I have watched liverpool which has been alot, he hs done little to impress, he is not a guy who can play up front alone.

6 trophies none of major importance.

I am hardly jealous of liverpool, I'm totally neutral towards the premiership. I do not want liverpool to win because of all this moan about them going into it next year. Fact is they have to win first which is unlikely. And even if they do they should not be allowed go in instead of everton, cause Everton played the better this season and more consistent. It would be an outrage, and the champions league would turn into a joke.

Fact is they have to win first which is unlikely.

Nobodies saying its a foregone conclusion that liverpool will win, in fact they're still firm underdogs and im sure nobody here would disagree with that, its a match, once off, 11 v 11, anything can happen either way.
    And even if they do they should not be allowed go in instead of everton, cause Everton played the better this season and more consistent. It would be an outrage, and the champions league would turn into a joke.

As for everton not being in if liverpool qualify i think you're a little behind the times there, already very firmly stated by everyone involved (PL, FA, UEFA) that everton ARE in the champions league next season regardless of what happens in the final. The debate is about whether liverpool will get an EXTRA english spot, which looks all set really as the president of UEFA has basically said the holders should defend the title and that if the FA make a little noise, put in a petition for an extra place for defending champion that the 'pool will be in. Obviously not set in stone but the signs are good.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement