Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CL Final - AC Milan vs. Liverpool (scores)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm totally neutral and will be the only one on this thread probably giving an honest fair look on what happend. I havent got my support with a team in the PL,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Well I plain don't like Liverpool, but I think they deserved the win today for what is probably the greatest turnaround in champions league history.

Imagine if you'd put 100 quid on a triple of Liverpool win CL, Greece win Euro Cup, and Everton finish 4th just twelve months ago. Golly.

As Terry Pratchett says, the thing about million to 1 shots is that they happen 9/10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

unkel wrote:
    Agree, I thought it was going to be the biggest embarassment ever in a final...
    Must be nice to be wrong.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Can't describe how good it is to watch Milan get their ice-creams snatched for the second time in a couple of weeks. Perfect game, perfect result (well, honestly the bits in between teh goals were pretty abysmal, but still) and it softens the blow of Juve's and PSV's defeats somewhat.

Jamie Carragher, as it has been said, deserves this more than anyone who played in the tournament, and Harry Kewell probably less. Dudek for MOTM, I suppose, as he made the most crucial differences.

What's the story about Liverpool keeping the trophy? Real and Milan have won it more than 5 times each and haven't kept it, or is this a new trophy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

My God, Congratulations to the NEW EUROPEAN CHAMPS!!!! Thought I had seen it all when the pool won the UEFA Cup, this goes down as one of the greatest matches in CL history! YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! :):):)

• Advertisement

Pool keep it, a new one is made which will be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

bazH wrote:
    Aww, must be awful to have no trophies at the end of a season. Fifth in the league and the best team in europe.

when Liverpool were at the peak of their success (20 years ago) they were never as unpopular as Man Utd were at the peak of theirs and still are now

reasons
    - Utd have a pr*ck of a manager who cannot and will not accept defeat graciously
    - arrogant supporters who look down on all other teams

I'm not a Liverpool fan but I'm glad they won tonight

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I doubt it very much to be faily honest. I really do feel they were so lucky in their last two champions league matches, really lucky. And I think it was other teams poor finishing that let them through. We will see if they can even fart at the PL next year or even have a chance in the CL. Somehow I doubt it very much, quote me, liverpool wont be doing anything next year.

They at least prevented the travesty of a Milan victory after their brutal performances in their last few matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

This will go down as one of my fondest memories of Liverpool...

for whatever happened on the pitch tonight... I am in ecstacy to see Gerrrard lift that trophy...

For all the doubters and hecklers... for all the missed chances and mistakes... nothing can take that feeling from me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

bazH wrote:
    Aww, must be awful to have no trophies at the end of a season. Fifth in the league and the best team in europe.

Some quick editing there Bazh Of course you know your inital post is also in the database..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Well done Liverpool really deserved the win,delighted for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I didnt edit anything, musta been someone else ;)

Anyway i stand by what i said. :)

CHAMPIONS!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

'Roy of the Rovers' stuff alright....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

unkel wrote:
    Dudek fooled them all with his little dance, even the referee :D
    I'm going to have nightmares about dudek's legs tonight!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

I thought Dudek was a bit lucky with the save, not to have it retaken since was out on the 6 yeard line...

I liked his little dances though, he missed his true calling. no really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

Congratulations Liverpool, what a night, I've no fingernails left :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

Amazing. Congratulations Liverpool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

OMFG What a game!
    Can't get over it.
    Sad thing is we won't get a chance to play in next season CL.

Gerard - my man of the match and looks like he'll be staying on.

:D

bazH wrote:
    I didnt edit anything, musta been someone else ;)

Anyway i stand by what i said. :)

I have reported your " wankstains and "scumchester" post. If you stand by why did you edit out the offending remarks. Second offence too ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Balfa wrote:
    I'm going to have nightmares about dudek's legs tonight!!

I think he jumped off his line for every peno, but I didn't noticed til the 3rd one lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

\o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

The Muppet wrote:
    I have reported your " wankstains and "scumchester" post. If you stand by why did you edit out the offending remarks. Second offence too ,

Bang on, he also edited my post as well which I'm pretty sure is not allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

jank wrote:
    I have a feeling its going to be a terrible match, 1-0 to either liverpool or milan, milan should do it though

Jesus I am glad you always get it wrong..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Sky Sports report on the match:

( From: http://skysports.planetfootball.com/LIST.ASP?HLID=280433 )

Liverpool are once again the champions of Europe after they defeated Milan on penalties in Istanbul.

In one of the best finals in UEFA Champions League history, Liverpool had looked dead and buried at half time as they trailed 3-0.

Paolo Maldini struck in the first minute, before two quick-fire goals just before the interval from Hernan Crespo.

A miraculous turn-around in the second half saw Liverpool level matters as they grabbed three goals in just six minutes.

Steven Gerrard headed home before Vladimir Smicer fired in from 25 yards.

Gerrard then burst into the area and won a penalty which Xabi Alonso missed - although the Spaniard recovered to slot home the leveller.

Milan pushed the hardest as the game progressed into extra time and a wonderful late save from Jerzy Dudek will go down in Anfield legend.

The Pole made sure of his place in Liverpool folklore as he saved Andrei Shevchenko's penalty to hand the English side the Champions League title.

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez had opted against playing Dietmar Hamann in preference for Harry Kewell, but the Spaniard was left rueing that decision after just 51 seconds as Milan converted their very first chance.

Djimi Traore was penalised for a foul on Kaka. Andrea Pirlo curled the free kick to the edge of the area for his skipper Maldini who volleyed the ball down and past a helpless Dudek.

Liverpool reacted positively to their early setback and could easily have levelled. John Arne Riise saw his goalbound effort deflect wide, before Gerrard picked out Sami Hyypia with a terrific ball into the box but the giant Finn could not beat Dida with his powerful header.

Luis Garcia came to his side's rescue 15 minutes in when he headed Crespo's goalbound header off the line, after the Argentine got in front of Gerrard.

The Kewell experiment failed after just 20 minutes as he limped off with a groin injury, meaning an early reshuffle for Benitez as Vladimir Smicer entered the fray.

Shevchenko then went close to doubling Milan's lead, but he moved just too soon as Kaka threaded a nice ball through the Liverpool defence and despite beating Dudek the effort was rightfully ruled offside.

Garcia could then have levelled as Milan Baros flicked a Riise pass into the Spanish forward's path, but his wild effort flew wide when he should have hit the target.

Then a six-minute spell before the interval looked to have all but ended Liverpool's hopes of a fifth European crown.

Milan grabbed a second as they hit Liverpool with a stunning counter-attack, although The Reds felt they should have had a penalty in the build-up as Alessandro Nesta's slid in to intercept Garcia in the area, but the referee waved play on and within 30 seconds the ball was in Dudek's net.

From Nesta's interception, Gennaro Gattuso, Clarence Seedorf and Kaka worked their way in lightning fashion up the pitch and the Brazilian played in Shevchenko in the area, he decided against shooting and squared the ball to Crespo who made no mistake from close-range.

Kaka then showed his class with a truly sublime ball which sliced open the Liverpool defence and picked out Crespo on the edge of the area and the on loan Chelsea man finished in equally fantastic style as he clipped the ball first time over Dudek.

At half time Benitez brought on Hamann for the injured Steve Finnan and switched to a 3-5-2 formation.

The presence of Hamann had an immediate effect on Liverpool as they looked more comfortable in possession and that showed as Alonso zipped a vicious shot wide from 35 yards.

Shevchenko then saw a thumping free kick somehow parried wide from Dudek and within moments the Pole would see how important his stop was as Liverpool miraculously levelled the scores within six minutes.

They found themselves back in the game when their own captain fantastic Gerrard headed home a Riise cross on 52 minutes.

Then just two minutes later, Smicer picked up the ball from Hamann 25 yards out before unleashing a fizzing drive past Dida into the corner of the Milan net.

Milan were visibly rattled as Liverpool came pushed everything at the Italians looking for the most unlikely of equalisers and again it came - this time on the hour. Gerrard was again the inspiration as he broke into the area in archetypal style and was hauled down by Gattuso before he could get his shot away.

The spot kick was awarded and Alonso stepped up, only for Dida to produce a wonderful save low-down to his right - but the Basque star did not give it up and fired into the roof of the net before the Milan defence could react.

From the most one-sided Champions League final in recent years, the game was now one of the most memorable in European footballing history.

Milan should have retaken the lead when Kaka delivered another great ball into the area which Dudek failed to deal with, that allowed Shevchenko to turn and fire at goal - but thankfully for Liverpool Traore was on the line to clear brilliantly.

Liverpool were still not without their own chances and Garcia should have done better as a superb 40-yard ball from Gerrard found his Spanish team-mate in the area and behind the Milan defence, but he could not control the ball and the opportunity was gone.

Almost straight from that Liverpool chance, Milan countered yet again with Shevchenko skipping past two chances before feeding Crespo into the area, but he could not find Kaka in the six-yard box as Jamie Carragher cleared.

Shevchenko began to carry the ball a lot more and it needed a last ditch intervention from Carragher to block his progress. The resulting corner almost saw Milan clinch a late winner as Jaap Stam headed down but Kaka could not redirect the ball goal wards from just two yards out and that meant extra time.

Ten minutes into added time and Milan created the first and only opening of the first half of extra time. Substitute Serginho found time on the left and crossed for fellow replacement Jon Dahl Tomasson who had backed off Traore to find room - but the Dane missed the ball to the relief of the Reds defence.

The opening exchanges of the second period saw Liverpool have their first chance of extra time, but Hamann's drive from the edge of the area deflected wide.

Serginho then created danger down the left and crossed into the six-yard box, but somehow Liverpool cleared through the Trojan like Carragher - who now was struggling with cramp.

Milan were now very much on top and Pirlo won a free kick on the very edge of the area as Hamann blocked his drive. The Italian picked himself up and whipped in the set-piece but Liverpool again scrambled clear.

The Rossoneri then thought they had won the game. Serginho again crossed from the left and Shevchenko headed at goal, Dudek parried - the Ukrainian followed up and somehow the keeper managed pushed the ball over, but he should not have had the chance to even get near it.

In the final minute Liverpool won a free kick 30 yards from goal in perfect position for Riise, but Hamann's lay-off was too short and that was it, the European final would be decided on penalties as it was two years ago when Milan last won the trophy - although The Reds last success in 1984 also came via a penalty shoot-out.

Serginho took the first kick and skied the ball over as Dudek danced his way along the line.

Hamann fired home, and then Dudek brilliantly saved from Pirlo to give Liverpool a huge advantage.

Cisse found the back of the net and Tomasson registered Milan's first before Riise saw his penalty saved well by Dida.

Kaka stepped up next and levelled matters, although the advantage was still Liverpool's as Smicer picked up the ball and fired home with great aplomb.

Milan now needed to score as Shevchenko stepped up and he missed as Dudek sunk to his right to keep the ball out.

The stadium erupted as the visiting Scouse army could not control their ecstasy as they hailed their conquering heroes who produced one of the most memorable performances in Liverpool's and English football's history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Fair Play Liverpool. Good to see them win in fairness. None of the arrogance of other english sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when UEFA meet to discuss what happens next.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

neutral view,correct me if im wrong but......

I thought Liverpool didnt deserve that game in the slightest.

Firstly Liverpools second goal got the slightest of touches of Baros who was in an offside position so it shouldnt have been....even if he wasnt Milan should have had a free kick for the clear offside seconds earlier but the ref didnt see the linesman...shouldnt have been a goal in my opnion.

Secondly Gerrard clearly dived which was disappointing as I respected him alot even the first tug wouldnt have been enough for a penalty as it didnt effect his run he merely shrugged it off and saw he was going nowhere so with no contact dived.

Now in extra time Milan dominated and shouldve scored but didnt and thats there own fault and thats how football goes liverpool were lucky...espicially dudek

Then in the penalties Dudek came off his line before the Milan players made their run something which is not allowed and would result in a penalty retake coming off your line before the ball is struck gives the keeper a HUGE advantage.

All in all im happy Milan didnt win as im a Juventus fan but I do think Milan were robbed by poor referring decisions however liverpool never gave up and showed complete determination and in the end lady luck was on there side.

PHB wrote:
    2-0
    Its Milans title.
    Class is just totally showing
    TheMuppet wrote:
    game over
    Gandalf wrote:
    3-0 It is over now !!!
    Kensutz wrote:
    Easy, Easy, Easy..
    @ Pool - standby for abject humiliation
    It was always gonna be the case.
    Headshot wrote:
    its going to be a demolition

boys against men
    I'd prefer Chelsea in the final after this showing, liverpool are awful. Sad to say all the proof Stevie G needs to leave.
    Gandalf wrote:
    ekkk Dudek is doing a Carroll impression !!!! Liverpool are all over the place, I hope they handed out the KY in the dressing room looks like its going to get rough for them !!!

I got bored after this....

I got bored after this....

How were you feeling at half time? ;)

Honest now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Someone call the cops, cause milan were robbed. Perfectly ok goal disallowed, dudek miles off his line for the pennos. This should not be allowed!!

Asides from that, well done to Liverpool.

Has everybody forgotten Milans handball in the box which the ref did not give about 15 secs befor etheir second goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Telling you after Gerards goal he egged them on.....What a match...

After Dudek saving twice just before half time i said liverpool have there name on the cup....Woo Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Has everybody forgotten Milans handball in the box which the ref did not give about 15 secs befor etheir second goal.
    I haven't forgotten it... and Dunphy was right when he said that it hit the guys elbow by accident and the ref was right not to give a handball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Or that Shevchencko should'nt have even been on the pitch having headbutted a player in a previous round. Things happen, and they balance out (ha!).

Mike.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Since when have the started broadcasting Championship Manager games on telly!!

Mother of god. what a game, 2 halves if ever there was one but totally deserved by livepool, should some balls, courage and heart.

Never thought that they would do it but hats off, think United have a lot of catchin up to do now!!!

But well done again, don't think I can face work tomorrow!!

• Advertisement

Bard wrote:
    I haven't forgotten it... and Dunphy was right when he said that it hit the guys elbow by accident and the ref was right not to give a handball.
    agreed... ref got the decision dead on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

fade2black wrote:
    I don't know one single A.C. Milan fan...I know hundreds of liverpool fans, people I like a lot...There are Irish flags being waved all over the place. I don't care if Liverpool fans wouldn't shout for Man U, I don't care about all the hatred for a while...Surely we should all be shouting for the Pool now.

How naiive was I? Out they come in their droves, abusing man united fans, mindless gloating, generally just abusing whoever they can find that not's a Liverpool fan.

B-K-DzR wrote:
    and so the gloating begins. We all must suffer because once again Liverpool fans can only see the "scum" fans who belittled them.

Im sorry if this sounds harsh but ive already gotten texts from pool fans giving me stick.You'd think they'd be having too much fun in their delight to send me txts... i know i was when man u won the CL.

Anyway once again, fair play liverpool :)

In ****ing fairness, I got 32 text messages at half time laughing at me...

Do you really think I am not gonna ram that down their ****ing throats..!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Liverpool own that cup now.....Woo hooo,bring it home boys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

What a classic. Thats one to remember. I was convinced that it was over at the half. Though Milan would get another one or two. THey fell asleep for 15 minutes and conceeded 3! The first half, they were walking it around. My god, for once Dudek deserves some praise. That double save was insane. Shevchenko should know better than to go down the middle. What a match.

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote:
    How were you feeling at half time? ;)

Honest now.

Devastated. As I said, 32 text message I got at half time.. Not even I could argue Liverpool's corner. Have a look at the TheMonsters posts from the other day also. Couldnt be bothered even quoting his and others..

I am mentally exausted after watching that game. I have a bloody headache and I feel run down as hell.. I still cannot believe it and I was close to tears about 5 times in that second half and god knows how many times during penalties. Its too much to take in, it really is!

fade2black wrote:
    How naiive was I? Out they come in their droves, abusing man united fans, mindless gloating, generally just abusing whoever they can find that not's a Liverpool fan.

Not at all. If nearly every fan of every other club did not resent and begrudge Liverpool progress through the competition, Liverpool fans would not come out in droves rubbing it in their face.

As I said, I got 32 text messages at half time taunting me. Every previous match there was constant comments regard how lucky they were and how Juve, Chelsea and the the great Milan will beat us in the next round..

What the **** do you expect. Do you expect those comments to be ignored. You may have not been involved in the taunting but many many others were and they are why Liverpool fans are mouthing of about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

I have aged a year in the space of 120mins.. half time I felt like turning off the TV and going to bed but then the Magic Happened.

Don't know whether we deserved it or not but it does feel like destiny .. twenty years after Hysel.

My God .. I will have this smile on my face till next August..

In the cold light of day it will be shown to be the worst Liverpool side to win but win they did....

YYYYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Devastated. As I said, 32 text message I got at half time.. Not even I could argue Liverpool's corner. Have a look at the TheMonsters posts from the other day also. Couldnt be bothered even quoting his and others..

I am mentally exausted after watching that game. I have a bloody headache and I feel run down as hell.. I still cannot believe it and I was close to tears about 5 times in that second half and god knows how many times during penalties. Its too much to take in, it really is!

Anything I posted during the game was only commenting on events, I don't think I was over critical . I'm honestly happy for the decent pool fans like yerself and quite a few others here but you have some that are no different from the ones that get United supporters the bad image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,750 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bard wrote:

Ref was right there alright!

As said, I'm completely neutral, I don't even support any team in either PL or Serie A, but I feel this is the luckiest win in a final I have ever seen including ManU beating Bayern Munich

Ah well, a good few more pool supporters here than AC Milan ones, so congrats to ya all :)

As a PSV supporter I remember the '88 final well. Not a great game, but the PSV keeper forced victory during the shootout albeit not quite as spectacularly as Dudek :eek:

Nine Months after Ray Houghton scored that goal, Ray was the most popular name for boys in Ireland.

Wonder will Jerzey be the most popular nema in Liverpool in nine months ? Or Vladimir ? ;)

Nine Months after Ray Houghton scored that goal, Ray was the most popular name for boys in Ireland.

Wonder will Jerzey be the most popular nema in Liverpool in nine months ? Or Vladimir ? ;)

holy sh1t... imagine the amount of riding going on tonight in liverpool....

The place will be overflowing with kids in 9 months....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

Well as a man u fan i just want to say congrats to Liverpool. what a second half from them. you would of got some odds on pool coming back from 3-0 at half time against milan.
    But the peno Dudek saved should of been taken again, he came 3 yards of his line but the luck has been with pool this whole champions league season.
    I hope they will be allow to defend it next season but not at the expence of Everton.

United really need to step up another level next season.

well Done Liverpool, still dont know how you came back from 3-0 down.

I would have loved to be over there for this match. Imagine the craic in the pubs.. Truly something else..

I am in Liverpool right now and I think that I can hear a couple at it in the next hotel room. Little Xabi in the making ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement