Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CL Final - AC Milan vs. Liverpool (scores)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

i'm off to rome as we speak T4TF ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hey Smemom heres a tip for ya,go bury your head in the ground for the next few months cos its so obvious you cant stand us winning or hearing about it and your gonna hear lots more about it lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Do you read what you post ? You said that united were consistently good in the CL, just mentioned that they were not all you made them out to be.

i never said consistently good, i said consistent. obviously not consistent winning it but theyve been there since it's reform. what is it, about 10 consecutive years now in the CL?

theyre not the best in europe, but theyre not far of it and never have been. when they won the CL, it was a real possibility they could retain it, they had the team to retain it. imo liverpool don't and just like porto will show their true colours next season (if indeed they get into it). i didnt like porto, i didnt believe they deserved it and i didnt believe they were the best in europe. it's the same with liverpool.

how can the 'best side in europe' not qualify for a trophy theyve just won? surely it contradicts itself so to speak. the 'best side in europe' are only the 5th best in england which is where im coming from. with most of the previous winners going back 2 years and beyond, those sides could play anyone and beat them over and over, with liverpool imo theyre not good enough to do that. if liverpool lets say were to meet cheslea and milan next year, i doubt very much they'd progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

smemon wrote:

how can the 'best side in europe' not qualify for a trophy theyve just won? surely it contradicts itself so to speak. the 'best side in europe' are only the 5th best in england which is where im coming from. with most of the previous winners going back 2 years and beyond, those sides could play anyone and beat them over and over, with liverpool imo theyre not good enough to do that. if liverpool lets say were to meet cheslea and milan next year, i doubt very much they'd progress.

i suppose when madrid won it and finished fifth, you were saying how they were "lucky" and didnt deserve it? THe media certainly didnt make that big a deal out of it.

strange that..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

if liverpool lets say were to meet cheslea and milan next year, i doubt very much they'd progress.

i've no doubt that you felt the exact same this season. so shurrup

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Go on smemon its not too late to bury your head :D
    Your not gonna win this one buddy,come back and argue your point when your team actually win something :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

el rabitos wrote:
    i've no doubt that you felt the exact same this season. so shurrup

i did feel the exact same this season. like most people aswell. its ironic liverpool fans say their so shocked and cant believe it etc yet when say they dont deserve it, they say they do.

if liverpool are a great side (this current side) why are people so shocked to see them win?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

What Liverpool have proved in the Champions League this season, is that on their day, they can beat ANY team in Europe. That they need show no fear of any team.

Whatever about your views on whether that makes them the "best" team in Europe or not is irrelevant. Gaining status as a team that can beat any other team in Europe ON THEIR DAY, is quite an achievement in itself.

I have waited a long time for this day, and I couldn't give a toss if the media, pundits, or opposition supporters think we deserve it or not. It's ours this year, and it's ours to keep. The Liverpool knockers had their chance when they put Juventus in our way. They had their chance when they put Chelsea in our way. They had their chance when they put AC Milan in our way.

18+5 = : ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

people are shocked because we were 3 - 0 down at half time to AC Milan....and we won

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Seemingly Johnny Giles, who pundits on Newstalk 106 wagered on air way back in Feb or sometime, that if Liverpool won the CL, then he would sing the Liverpool anthem, "You'll never walk alone" (YNWA) on air. I hadnt realised this, but luckily I caught some of it this evening. I tried to upload the file but there is a 100K limit. The file is 230k in size. I've more of it recorded on the phone. Maybe it is elsewhere on the web somewhere.

It was classic radio.

But fair play to Giles, in the sense of his football analysis in the programme itself. He called it well and analysed the game perfectly, I thought.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

smemon wrote:
    etc yet when say they dont deserve it, they say they do. ?

why dont we deserve it? and if not, who deserves to win it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

redspider wrote:
    Seemingly Johnny Giles, who pundits on Newstalk 106 wagered on air way back in Feb or sometime, that if Liverpool won the CL, then he would sing the Liverpool anthem, "You'll never walk alone" (YNWA) on air. I hadnt realised this, but luckily I caught some of it this evening. I tried to upload the file but there is a 100K limit. The file is 230k in size. I've more of it recorded on the phone. Maybe it is elsewhere on the web somewhere.

It was classic radio.

But fair play to Giles, in the sense of his football analysis in the programme itself. He called it well and analysed the game perfectly, I thought.

Redspider

It is truly classic.

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~huskerdu/giles.mp3

spockety wrote:

Thanks for that link. Its a Classic alright.

The file has been downloaded and saved for posterity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

smemon wrote:
    i did feel the exact same this season. like most people aswell. its ironic liverpool fans say their so shocked and cant believe it etc yet when say they dont deserve it, they say they do.

if liverpool are a great side (this current side) why are people so shocked to see them win?

I'm shocked that they actually did deserve it!

The BBC reporting now that 1 million people greeted the team on their return to the city with the trophy:

> Liverpool's triumphant players have paraded the Champions League trophy to more than a million people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Now all we have to do is kill the pope next year bump off that camilla and have charles marry somebody else. Then get Ken and Deirdre divorced and a new doctor who.
    lol. Don't forget Wales have to win the Gran Slam aswell.

Giles has a bit of a singing voice but I still cringed while listening to it. Couldn't turn it off though :)

Still hasn't sunk in yet. They better get the DVD out soon so I can watch it all in one go and see that yes it DID happen. Beating last years finalists was a proud moment. Turning it around on Olympiakos was some achievement. Trashing Leverkuesen twice was very sweet. Playing Juve off the park in Anfield was unbelievable. Out-grinding Chelsea through 2 legs was... not my kinda football but still sweet. And Wednesday was surely a dream. Couldn't be real.

27 players represented Liverpool in the Champions League this season. It's crazy. Alonso only played 6 games. It wasn't a team effort, it was a squad effort. And Raffa has to take credit for holding it all together.

Despite the fact he signed Josemi, Nunez and Pelligreno, I can't wait to see what squad he assembles for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Actually, now that you mention 27 players playing, dont the only get 25 medals? who are the two that drop out? Anyone got the full list of medal winners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Diao and Henshoz are in that list of 27 players so they can feck off if they want medals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Lads, stop feeding smemon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

cregser wrote:
    Diao and Henshoz are in that list of 27 players so they can feck off if they want medals.
    tbh, i'd tell that greedy useless bag of ****e kewell to go sit in the corner and give back his medal

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

10k?!!!

did he put the money on AC to win at HT?
    Nope, before the game. He's a fool, the same lad won €4k during Cheltenham though.
    haha 10k, what was the return on that, evens ?
    so he was doubling it up. I can imagine him at half time....then 15mins later
    LOL, yeah I was talking to him last night. He didn't seem too down about it, but I heard he was going crazy in the pub. He was offering to buy everyone a drink at half time and then ten minutes later he had his head on the table. LOL.
    he must have money to burn!
    He'd have a bit from bets from before, but he's only 22 so he wouldn't have a fortune!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

it's nice to know the CL_Trophy Utd won in '99 will forever remain the Anfield Trophy Room now :D

lads, don't be afraid to come round and see it in it's real home ;)

As some of you may know, Giles, who pundits on Newstalk 106 wagered that if Liverpool won the CL, then he would sing the Liverpool anthem, "You'll never walk alone" (YNWA) on air. He duely did this last night and it was classic radio.

However, today I heard that Dunphy boasted that he would retire from media completely if Liverpool won the CL! He admitted today that he did make that promise but that he "cant afford to keep it"! Poor Eamo.

Giles the man, and a man of his word.
    Dunphy, a bull****ter, a spoofer, with ill-placed conviction. ie. a fool!

Redspider

redspider wrote:
    As some of you may know, Giles, who pundits on Newstalk 106 wagered that if Liverpool won the CL, then he would sing the Liverpool anthem, "You'll never walk alone" (YNWA) on air. He duely did this last night and it was classic radio.
    Redspider

there is an mp3 around here somewhere of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

RuggieBear wrote:
    there is an mp3 around here somewhere of it...

yup, its a few posts up ^^^^

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~huskerdu/giles.mp3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Well another day on and the eurphoria is still continueing! Was great to come to work this morning and have PC turn on with a big picture of the lads holding the trophy aloft in a shower of red streamers!

Any idea what 'pools pre season schedule is? know they're going far east-wards for a few games but thats it. Any carlsberg cup/amsterdam cup or anything?

bazH wrote:
    lol...i'm getting so confused with all the liverpool threads i'm not sure which ones i've read and which ones are saying waht

The first signs that being European Champions is gonna make a difference in the transfer market here;
    http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=280570&CPID=8&CLID=14&lid=&title=Reina+close+to+Reds&channel=Premiership
    Villarreal keeper Jose Reina has revealed he is close to joining European champions Liverpool.

The 22-year-old, who was called into the Spain squad on Thursday by Luis Aragones, has been linked with The Reds over recent months.

Reina has stated the two clubs are yet to agree on a fee, but once that is finalised he will become Rafa Benitez's first signing of the summer.

"It's not closed yet, but I can't deny that I'm very close to signing for Liverpool," said Reina.

"The deal between the two clubs needs to be finalised but it's likely that it will be closed very soon."

Reina was keen to keep a lid on the latest transfer developments until the end of the season, with The Reds tackling Milan in the UEFA Champions League final on Wednesday evening.

The former Barcelona shot-stopper concedes it will be a wrench to leave Villarreal, but believes people will understand his situation due to the offer at hand.

"I didn't want to say anything until the season was over, but it didn't seem right to leave without saying goodbye to the fans if it all goes through," he added.

"If the deal is finally closed I hope people will understand my decision given that I will be signing for the reigning European champions and for a team like Liverpool.

"It had to be something very big for me to leave Villarreal."

I know this deal was all but tied up anyway, but can see the title making that bit of difference between getting someone and not getting someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Hey got back from Istanbul at about 2 a.m. last night! What can I say about the game what a game, what an atmosphere, what a result! :D It was worth evry penny to go a once in a lifetime experience and a just all around great! :D I will post up pictures of the game and from around the stadium later on! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I'm sorry lads, but if it goes to peno's I would not be too confident....nothing to do with the takers, but I think they have a much better keeper and Dida is a penalty expert. I've seen him stop a fair few in his time, where as Dudek is not as highly rated.
    Lets hope for a win in the 90 mins so we can all go out for the pubs and start celebrating early... :D
    I'm eating my words....yum yum but it tastes great :D

• Advertisement

kensutz wrote:
    Easy, Easy, Easy..
    Willem D wrote:
    Ha ha this is a rout.
    @ Pool - standby for abject humiliation
    d22ontour wrote:
    Happy days.

The game is going to plan liverpool offering feck all going forward and milan being a constant threat.We want five.
    we want six... we want six

boys vs men out there tonight... Liverpool are getting torn apart...

They have no shape. Traore is having a nightmare.... its just going all wrong for them....

Milan are totally controlling the game. The passes are superb, they must all posess the power of telepathy....
    Leonard wrote:
    Here here
    PHB wrote:
    Indeed :)
    But this is that little bit of vindictivness that makes it all better :)
    Anyway, I have to be first to say it, we lost to the champions anyway :P

Ahhaha :)

But seriously, what has Gerrard done in the last year to warrent a place in the Chelsea team?
    Carragher now, theres a player Mourinho would buy.
    Gerrard hasn't done ****e, to say this is reason to leave is like saying its reason for Baros to leave, or Kewell to leave.
    Infact the only player out there tonight that looks like doing anything is Garcia, same as the other matches for liverpool

shhhhhh!!!!!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

I still can't believe I witnessed Liverpool win the European cup :D

It was absolutely incredible Roy of the Rovers stuff.
    I like most other liverpool fans at half time thought that was it and was hopin they could get a goal and not make it look so bad. But then 6 mins of Magic turned complete agony, deflation and depression into sheer delight and ecstasy. I am absolutely delighted for Rafa and the players to have achieved this aswell, especially for Carragher who has been immense all season and also for Stevie Finnan only the second Irishman to play in the Champions League final. Heres hopin he is fit again for the Israel game

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

cregser wrote:

Does Partridge get a medal he was in the squad don't remember him playing though?

~Rebel~ wrote:
    On peno's id have to fancy AC with their strikers, midfielders and above all cool heads, though on the other hand Dudek is quite the fan of a spectacular save!!

Thank God I was wrong with the first half, and right with the second!!
    -Dudek couldn't really have gone for more of a spectacular ending when it counted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

I was in Liverpool on Wednesday night, it was absolutely incredible :eek: I've never seen anything like it. I was in the toilet at halftime and a bloke said to me "it's over lad", I just said to him we were second best to everything in the first half but it wasn't over yet - don't ask me why I said that but what a second half :D

Go fcuking on the pool!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

i was in the ataturk for it and at half time i turned to the person beside me and said,
    "if by any chance we win this match well then we will have witnessed the greatest football game of all time"
    Looks like i wasnt far wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

robz150 wrote:
    Does Partridge get a medal he was in the squad don't remember him playing though?

no richie doesnt get a medal but he did get to dance around the ataturk on the pitch with the players after the game. What a memory to have as your last with LFC. He deserves it too

Shred wrote:
    I was in Liverpool on Wednesday night, it was absolutely incredible :eek: I've never seen anything like it. I was in the toilet at halftime and a bloke said to me "it's over lad", I just said to him we were second best to everything in the first half but it wasn't over yet - don't ask me why I said that but what a second half :D

Go fcuking on the pool!!!! :D
    Shred,
    I was in Liverpool also...where did you end up?
    We went into Outback but were waiting on 2 more and at half 5 the q for the outback was 200 deep. so we went in next door to the Lime Klein..
    It was flat when we got there...the atmosphere at 5pm in the outback was unbelievable and we were wondering did we make the right choiuce, but by 7pm it was hopping in there also. I can only imagine what the Outback was like, but it took me half an hour to get a drink there so we were glad we made the right decision. Plus I met a great chick next door.
    Double bonus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

I know there was a lot of talk about sequences and past history building up to the match (i.e. 1978, 1981 and red vs white)! Well here is a one to bring a smile to Liverpool fans faces the last manager to win the UEFA Cup and Champions League in consecutive seasons won the premiership the next season! :D

• Advertisement

Milan Statistics Liverpool
    3 Goals 3
    10 Shots on Target 7
    11 Shots off Target 6
    4 Blocked Shots 3
    11 Corners 4
    16 Fouls 23
    7 Offsides 6
    0 Yellow Cards 2
    0 Red Cards 0
    79 Passing Success 77.2
    51 Tackles 82
    64.7 Tackles Success 45.1
    53.5 Possession 46.5
    51.7 Territorial Advantage 48.3

So, Milan had 25 attempts and Liverpool 16. That may seem to some like domination. However, I think I'd need to look through those attempts and see what type of quality they were. There were quite a few from Milan that were shots that were well off the mark.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

doesnt make any odds. all the stats in the world arent relevant to the fact the Cup is in Liverpool.

Im just really impressed by Liverpools win. Each day I read a bit about it and become more impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nicked from koptalk.
    Going round the stadium at the end was very sad — very, very emotional and I had tears in my eyes. But I will never forget it.

“Winning the Champions League in your last game, how could anyone go out better?

“I thought I wouldn’t get a chance in the final. But I prepared well and when I came on I was ready.

“I felt I owed something to Liverpool because I had a lot of injuries and was out of the team for a long time after my operation last summer.

“The club allowed me to go to America for treatment, I had the best surgeon in the business. Then they waited and, finally, put their faith in me. I am so happy I was able to give something back.

“I also wanted to show the fans I was a good player — I know I haven’t been one of their favourites.

“I wanted to show them I could play football. I think I did that. Yet I don’t think anyone in our dressing room believed it was possible for us to win.

“But I recall we were 3-1 up against Alaves in the UEFA Cup final and they got it back to 3-3 — so I knew anything could happen.

“But not against AC Milan. That was just impossible!

“But there were 45,000 Liverpool people out there and we couldn’t let them down.

“I have been so proud to play for Liverpool and to have my dream come true. I scored a goal, a penalty and now I get out.

“I have won seven trophies with Liverpool — pretty good, eh? Not bad for a player like me, anyway.

“My goal? Well, I don’t score many like that. In fact, I don’t score many anyway!

“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Nicked from koptalk.

Mike.
    its a pity because there was a player there with so much potential and skill but was plagued with injuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Shred,
    I was in Liverpool also...where did you end up?

I was in Edward's (around the corner from the Cavern) from about 5 bells. Same craic there - empty when we got in but it got jammers and it took just as long to get served. We had great seats right in front of the plasma sitting on a nice leather couch which everyone then jumped all over after the match in the excitement :D We left there and there was a boozer just around the corner with shutters that were wide open and there was about 500 people outside. Everyone inside was hanging out of the windows and we all just sang YNWA together and then headed down to Concert Sq which was jam packed (see the 4th picture here ) and ended up in the club there. What a night :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Fiar play to him, he has been mediocre for the pool but he has scored some good golas, anybody remember that volley he scored v Chelsea from the edge of the box in 2002, great goal, stoppage time to win it. He tried a similar one the previous week and in the post match interview he said that he was so upset after missing the same shot in the previous game that he wanted to make up for it by trying again. Says alot about the lad.

Hope that he does well wherever he goes, he was always all pool while he was there and deserves some luck for the last couple of years of his career.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'd like to see him at Celtic. He always did well for the Czech's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Wont say much because it wont be anything different to anything already said, and words cannot describe my delight.

Gerrard who apparently "goes missing" in big games was excellent. Particularly at right back.

Carragher, excellent, more to come from him. Deserves every bit of it.

Hamann, gutted you werent in the starting line up. I dont know what RB was "gambling" on with Kewell, its been 18 month since he put in a performance worthy of a starting berth. Totally changed the game coming on. World class. Please stay.

Dudek, class. Great to see it. Fantastic keeper that got a bad rep for some bad errors in high profile games.

Finnan, great to see another Irish man with the best medal in club football.

Riise, great, an honourary scouser, more to come I hope.

Sami, deserves it. Great servant to the club.

Cisse, amazing to see, testament to any player who suffers such a horrendous injury.

Djimi, legend, another case of Kleberson/Roque Junior-itis. Right place, right time.

Xabi, instrumental in the turnaround, I can see Liverpool growing on him.

Garcia, quiet on the night, but influential in the run to the final.

Kewell, dont deserve another chance, but if you get one you better make it happen. To be honest I wouldnt be disappointed never to see you in a red shirt again.

Baros, so long, wont miss you too much.

Smicer, fair well, all the best.

I guess that was a bit much but ah well.

Benetiz youre the man, delighted to win the biggest title in club football but you know what title I and most LFC fans want, and I think finally we have the man to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

ive only stoped drinking now i cant belive it!!!!

to all those saying we were lucky blah blah ssssshhhhhh!

which do you think is harder to go 3-0 from nil all or to score 3 when your 3-0 down??

YOULL NEVER WALK ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!

could copy and paste a load o posts to slag ppl but you know who you are :D

Id like to say to all those arsenal fans united fans chelsea fans and others who said congrats and didn't talk biased crap thanks

p.s. does this make Rafa the greatest ever english club managers? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

Gilesy singing YNWA is gas. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

!700'th post on this

gwan teh pool

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement