Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CL Final - AC Milan vs. Liverpool (scores)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I was just wondering what the results of a poll would look like at the beginning of the group stages this year. Would Liverpool be written off by so many people this time?

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

BaZmO* wrote:
    I was just wondering what the results of a poll would look like at the beginning of the group stages this year. Would Liverpool be written off by so many people this time?

B.

Of Course. I honestly don't think they can retain it, but , stranger things and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

uberwolf wrote:

This is my last post for a fortnight. Which means whatever happens this thread will be getting a bump then. :D

well well well.

I'll admit I snuck back online the following day to relive the game via the posts here. Didn't have the time to share my thoughts (for what they're worth).

The game was a phenomenal game, I was abject at half time. We'd been embarassed. Shown up for the team I believe we have. This was far from a good team. Even the second half performance, a 6 minute abberation aside they were second best all night.
    I recalled Smicer doing one thing all day against Chelsea in 2002 and drew faith from that when he came on. Gerrard played the best I've seen from him in a long time when he was required to fill the rightback role.

It wasn't evident to me at the time, but on the Friday I bought 4 newspapers to grab all the special features the English papers had to amuse me on my flight. The discussions re: Benetiz tactics unearthed (for me) the limitations of my Championship Manager abilities! The work he performed that night and all season is the only reason we won the Cup.

A few beers were had, and I'm now settling into the bragging rights. The implications for our transfer ability is interesting to watch and ultimately may be the best legacy the win provides for us.

I cann't help but wonder though. Had we lost on the lottery of penalties, or had Schevchenko put either of those chances away would Gerrard be staying? And Finally all Utd fans are welcome to Anfield Road to view the trophy they won in 1999.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

The poor demented lad. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

"No-one will remember the 2004-2005 season for Everton overcoming all odds, finishing 4th and above the ****e; Instead, all the media will relay is Steven Gerrard's deformed features contorted in some sort of twisted ejaculatory pose holding aloft that bell end of a trophy, red tickertape falling all around. It looked like raining blood, for [censored]'s sake."

very good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Jesus lads this topic is so old why not give it a rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,334 ✭✭✭Ardent

jank wrote:
    Jesus lads this topic is so old why not give it a rest

"You don't spend 21-years trying to get hold of the world's most sought-after bottle of wine, only to remove the cork . . . and leave it untouched."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Ardent wrote:
    "You don't spend 21-years trying to get hold of the world's most sought-after bottle of wine, only to remove the cork . . . and leave it untouched."
    Sip ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Exactly. Its just 30-something days since the final, quite recent in terms of a 21 year gap. If this thread is still alive in 10 years time, then your "give it a rest" suggestion will have some relevance.

10 years, now there's a bump challenge if ever there was one ....

• Advertisement

You may have seen the recently televised documentary on Sky called "One Night in May" which relived the Liverpool CL win over Milan. There's a seperate thread on it but its definietly a programme to watch by all Liverpool fans.

I watched it and now have it on video. A great night it has to be said, and still is amazing and will remain so for many years to come. Not just for Liverpool winning the top trophy in club football, but in the way that it was won - that nearly doubles the actual value and feeling of winning it.

I spotted that there was some footage shown which was not available on the night itself, such as the replay of the now infamous Shevchenko shot and the corresponding save by Dudek, from point-blank range, from behind the Milan goal. Some people/papers have claimed that the shot hit him on the face or hit him without him knowing too much about it, but the footage backs up my analysis of the incident in that he meant it, moving his hands purposefully in the proper direction and he made a reactive brilliant save.

Dudek was a huge factor in the match and its a pity for him that he has since been treated less than favourably by Benitez. It shows how little thanks players get sometimes, and us fans and football followers need to balance the times we think players are mercenaries, such as MacManaman, Owen or what have you, with those that get treated less than the "favourite sons" (Morientes and Garcia). So, once again, well done Dudek and thanks.

Interesting to note that neither Benitez nor Gerrard were interviewed for the programme. Carra shone through though with his remarks and spoke sense, as did Thommo. What a fan he is! Put him back on the coaching staff, thats my vote.

Redspider

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

redspider wrote:
    Dudek was a huge factor in the match and its a pity for him that he has since been treated less than favourably by Benitez. It shows how little thanks players get sometimes

As much as I Love Dudek for what he did in the Final, Premiership teams and managers can't afford to 'Thank' players by playing them when they are a liability and unfortunatly Dudek is a liability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Was just thinking actually, just after that double save, i jumped off the couch and told my girlfriend to remind me to send that man some money!

Oh my god its still totally brightened up my day just thinking about it now!
    Best feeling ever!

I actually totally decided after his amazing penalties performance that i was definately gonna send money and a thank you letter in an envelope to anfield with his name on it! Think i will now!

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Was just thinking actually, just after that double save, i jumped off the couch and told my girlfriend to remind me to send that man some money!

Oh my god its still totally brightened up my day just thinking about it now!
    Best feeling ever!

I actually totally decided after his amazing penalties performance that i was definately gonna send money and a thank you letter in an envelope to anfield with his name on it! Think i will now!

:D:D:D:D
    I nearly hit my head off the corner of the living room table when Dudek made that save from Sheva. I couldn't believe it, and I decided that the floor was the best place to be at that time.

Will Liverpool be seeded for the group stages if they make it through?

Yea they're in the top seed pot so can't play manu juve milan etc, can still end up in Arsenal or chelsea's groups though which im kinda dreading..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Yea they're in the top seed pot so can't play.......milan
    Damn......I'd been looking forward to a re-match to be honest. :p

As for ending up in Arsenal's or Chelsea's group, that would be a very interesting group!
    How do you reckon the tie against CSKA will go?

I think we'll get through (despite all the coincidence conspiracy theory's) but will make very hard work of it. We've been comfortable in possession for the qualifiers so far but haven't managed to really punish anyone severly for sitting back, im a little worried about what could happen against a team that might have a slight amount of quality going forward. could easily see 1 scored against us tonight.

Currently thinking a 1-2 liverpool win tonight and a 2-0 win at anfield, with neither game looking entirely comfortable.

heres hoping im proved wrong and theres an onslaught with cisse and moro finally clicking with devestating effect!..but i dont think so..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I cheered as loud for dudeks save as i did for the 3rd goal (liverpools of course) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

redspider wrote:
    10 years, now there's a bump challenge if ever there was one ....

well, if ever there was a thread that should stay alive for 10years, this is it.. just after reading through most of it (hilarious).. brings back many happy memories of watching one of the best games ever, even though i'm a utd fan..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Yup I will agree with you on that, as Man Utd fan. By far one of the best games I have ever seen .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Yeah, I watched it again, more or less in full a couple of months before Xmas, including the half-time and end of match analysis by RTE. A surreal and epic night of drama, as some people have said, if you made a movie like that, people wouldnt believe that it could happen - and definitely a dvd/video to retain in your collection.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

There are some classic quotes from this thread, I have to say. Some people are so blinkered!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

As a United fan,i have absolutely no shame in saying that it was one of the best games i have ever seen,i jumped,cried and shouted with Liverpool fans all over...Ardee:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

You cried!? In despair I hope.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Anyone read Rafa's book(the one by gullium ballague).

Excellent for anyone wanting a greater insight to the game, build up and aftermath

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Excellent for anyone wanting a greater insight to the game, build up and aftermath
    Today 21:28

Must get me that book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Nunu wrote:
    You cried!? In despair I hope.....

Why's that?

As a Spurs fan (who hated Utd through most of the 90s) I was jumping around the room when Ole and Sheringham got the two goals in Bracelona in 99, sometimes you got to put aside the animosity and embrace the moment.

That said, I will nevere do the same for Arsenal. Or Chelsea.

Ever.
    Ever ever ever.
    Ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever!

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just as an aside how come Rafa was'nt made an honoury MBE (at least) in the New Years honours list? I think winning the CL merits the award.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

zabbo wrote:

I've searched High & Low for this book...where can it be got?

I'll be in Liverpool in 2 weeks so if all fails till then, I'll pick it up over there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Got it in a bookstore in Newry, wasnt on display, but was upstairs.

Its hard to believe that a year has passed since Liverpool won the CL.

Now on the eve of this years final between Arsenal and Barcelona, and off the back of a great FA Cup final win which was also won in dramatic 3-3 (and penalties) style, we can sit back and savour what last year was, a magical moment.

I hope that Liverpool can keep up their development and continue to challenge for honours in England as well as the CL. Whilst this year was a step back in the CL, a year of taking breath, next year the target should be to get to the Quarter Final stage at least. Although some eyes may be looking at the league title, that is the smaller of the two trophies and given Liverpool's now proven Cup pedigree in recent seasons, it would make sense to optimze for the CL.

Looking forward to a good game between Barca and Arsenal tomorrow. Anything can happen in a final, as we know, but Barca are favourites. Favourite tags dont mean much as Liverpool proved once again last year.

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm not reading this thread -again! :D

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

We've won it five times
    We've won it five ti-i-imes
    In Istanbul
    We won it five times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

DaBreno wrote:
    We've won it five times
    We've won it five ti-i-imes
    In Istanbul
    We won it five times

What a fantastic chant ;)

Fair play to Liverpool last year. I was in work and heard the 'Pool were 3-0 downm. Walking home and I called into a Chinese on the way and the TV in there said 3-3. Couldn't believe it.

Rang my brother and got a lift home and managed to see the end of the game, extra time and Dudek's fantastic waving motions!

It'll be a long time before that final is matched. Although I've to miss tonight's as well, economics exam from half 6 to half 9 :(

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote:
    I was in work and heard the 'Pool were 3-0 downm. Walking home and I called into a Chinese on the way and the TV in there said 3-3. Couldn't believe it.
    I've to miss tonight's as well, economics exam from half 6 to half 9 :(

Lemlin, a tip: Arrange your life around football schedules!
    Work, economics exams, these are but minor.

The World Cup final is on Sunday July 9th at 7:00pm. I cant promise a brilliant match but it only comes around once every 4 years.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

redspider wrote:
    Lemlin, a tip: Arrange your life around football schedules!
    Work, economics exams, these are but minor.

The World Cup final is on Sunday July 9th at 7:00pm. I cant promise a brilliant match but it only comes around once every 4 years.

redspider

When its your final college exam, woth 60% of your overall grade, its anything but minor Redspider.

And last year I did my good deed by covering for the two lads in work who are 'Pool supporters. One of them paid €800 or so to get to Istanbul.

Lemlin wrote:
    When its your final college exam, woth 60% of your overall grade, its anything but minor Redspider.

And last year I did my good deed by covering for the two lads in work who are 'Pool supporters. One of them paid €800 or so to get to Istanbul.

okay, okay .... all is forgiven (due to the last point!).

Best of luck with the exam.

redspider

rematch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I was going to bump this, but figured tomorrow would suffice to avoid the spoiler.

I don't have an overriding naive hope about us winning this time around. But maybe only naive hope would see us win last time around, whereas this time the team have improved, the squad has improved.

Other than that the situation is similar to last time around. Domestic seasons have effectively ended. And fresh legs will be available.

The liverpool side are 2 years better, Milan 2 years older. Though utd discovered there is some pace left in those legs, but Liverpool will not allow the pace be dictated as much as occurred tonight.

Liverpool to win in normal time.

• Advertisement

Just realised, Kewell is back just in time to go off injured after 20 mins. :)

Whens Garcia fit again, any chance he'd make the final?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Hopefully Milan will do the job in its entirety this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Compare the Liverpool line-up last night to the one that started in Istanbul and it's stronger on paper imo. They'll arguably have a psychological edge, but Milan will be gunning for revenge. After witnessing tonight I fancy them to get it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Garcia was taken out of the Champions League squad as far as i know in order to make room for Mascherano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Rematch indeed. :D
    I have to think Liverpool will make it hard for Milan to play
    like they did tonight. Maybe they'll cancel each other out.
    I'm backing Liverpool to lift the trophy again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I dont want Liverpool to become favourites. We all know how that ends.

Ah this old chestnut. Welcome back old friend, how i've missed you!

Praying to god i might be able to see this one in person!

The only thing about milan being 2 years older is that Kaka is 2 years better. I do feel we have what united were lacking tonight in Mascherano, Alonso and Sissoko, midfield steel options. Still a very tough test though. Its only really milans defence where the years have taken their toll, the midfield is still amazing - especially now that Seedorf has picked up his form again. Pippo and Gila are a lot weaker then Crespo and Sheva but still. All in all, after tonights performance Milan have to be favourites, but pool have a great chance!

COME ON THE POOL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

By the time the final and aftermath is done - this will be the greatest thread ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,803 ✭✭✭Trampas

Garcia was taken out of the Champions League squad as far as i know in order to make room for Mascherano

Thats correct.

Garcia wont be playing even if he is fully fit

I didnt realise this thread was still in the archives and could be bumped up! I thought I had looked for it at one stage and couldnt find it, so well done Stekelly for bumping it up and keeping it alive.

> By the time the final and aftermath is done - this will be the greatest thread ever.

Maybe, but I think we should also start a seperate thread for the 2007 CL final. Its good to see the 2005 thread alive, but each CL final deserves its own thread, I would think.

Looking forward to another night in May .....

Redspider

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement