Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CL Final - AC Milan vs. Liverpool (scores)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On the other hand though, milan have won Their last 4 European cup titles wearing white! So this one goes both ways im afraid folks. At least 'pool dont have to wear that yellow jersey, which im convinced is cursed!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Well I am off home to pack my bags for Istanbul! I am just hoping for a Liverpool victory and hopefully I won't have to wait another 20 years to run up this debt again! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Well I am off home to pack my bags for Istanbul! I am just hoping for a Liverpool victory and hopefully I won't have to wait another 20 years to run up this debt again! :D

allahaýsmarladýk!

you lucky bastard! :D have fun, n scream for all of us on here that cant make it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

it was against barcelona in october. Although i am a biased Liverpool fan i can honestly hold my hands up and say that i doubt i will ever get the feeling i got sittin in anfield v Juve and v Chelsea. It was just unexplainable and something that i've never experienced and i could never describe.

Agreed Iano. I was at the Chelsea match and it was awesome, I've been at previous European Cup & UEFA Matches ~ yes more than 20 years ago and Man U and Everton matches and nothing compared to Chelsea match. Still I always promised myself I'd never visit Turkey after I watched Midnight Express ! When are you off Iano ? Enjoy yourself and dont come back with a voice !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

Zakrze wrote:
    Agreed Iano. I was at the Chelsea match and it was awesome, I've been at previous European Cup & UEFA Matches ~ yes more than 20 years ago and Man U and Everton matches and nothing compared to Chelsea match. Still I always promised myself I'd never visit Turkey after I watched Midnight Express ! When are you off Iano ? Enjoy yourself and dont come back with a voice !

I'm settin off for Manchester tomorrow and my flight from there to Istanbul is fleaving at 6 on wednesday morning. Never been so excited about a game! Best seats in the house too.....lookin forward to singin my heart out!
    Come on the reds!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Enjoy Iano!!

cheers jonny. got my final exam of my degree this morning but to be honest could i care less?
    Nah Istanbul beckons!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

ianomccabe wrote:
    I'm settin off for Manchester tomorrow and my flight from there to Istanbul is fleaving at 6 on wednesday morning. Never been so excited about a game! Best seats in the house too.....lookin forward to singin my heart out!
    Come on the reds!
    Sitting beside Rafa? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

What was the reason if anybody knows why the Liverpool players got a police corden around them as they walked thro teh airport and Milan players strolled through with about half the security?

Also, had to draw comparisons to 1996 FA Cup final with Liverpool in the tracksuits and Milan in their designer suits....typical of Italian teams to try and out fashion everybody else

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote:
    What was the reason if anybody knows why the Liverpool players got a police corden around them as they walked thro teh airport and Milan players strolled through with about half the security?

Also, had to draw comparisons to 1996 FA Cup final with Liverpool in the tracksuits and Milan in their designer suits....typical of Italian teams to try and out fashion everybody else
    I didn't see it but regarding the suits we're best of staying out of fashion wars - the English press can be nasty about that sort of thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Oh dear oh dear...

Kewell to partner Cisse up front!

http://www.football365.com/teams/liverpool/story_153223.shtml
    Rafa Benitez is planning to deploy Harry Kewell in a withdrawn striker role behind Djibril Cissé in the Champions League final, according to reports.

The Guardian claims that Liverpool have been experimenting with the formation in training as an alternative to using a five-man midfield with skipper Stevie Gerrard in an advanced role against AC Milan on Wednesday night.

In view of Kewell's negligible contribution this season, compounded by an all-too public row with Benítez over the Aussie's continued fitness problems, the forward's inclusion would be a major shock.

Cisse, though, appears favourite to be given the task of leading Liverpool's attack ahead of Milan Baros in Istanbul.

The Czech forward could be dropped for the game following revelations that his agent, Pavel Paska, has been in talks with other clubs over a move at the end of the season.

Baros told the Daily Mirror: "I have had several offers from other clubs and it is now the job of my agent Pavel to talk to them. We will listen to what is offered."

He added: "I am calm about my future and I can concentrate fully on the Champions League final. Maybe I will leave Anfield, maybe I will stay.

"But my main aim at the moment is that I can keep my place ahead of Cisse for the final against Milan, and I will do my best to make that happen."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Thats good, Benetiz is smart, mixing up the formation will work cause if youi saw PSV, Milan don't cope as well against teams going all out at them, they still won but it was close, compard to Inter and Man Utd, where they sat back, and they won easily.
    Milan are the masters of Italian style football, so Liverpool need to play Spanish style to beat them :)

p.s. If this works, and they win with Kewell and Cisse up front, it sets up next season very ****ign nicely, with two injured players returned to greatness

I'd still reckon Baros will start and Kewell and Cisse will be on the bench - just because they practice something at an open training session doesn't mean it's intended for the start of the match....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭tel922001

Liverpool go 0-1 down in the first half to a sweet ball by kaka for schevchenko, and in the second half benitez releases and liverpool get a first by gerrard, and last 10min Cisse runs at stam his pace is the fastest the bald C**T ever comes up against and Cisse makes S**t of him and slots the ball low into the bottom corner liverpool become champs and leave all other teams trailing in most European Cup titles

tel922001 wrote:
    liverpool become champs and leave all other teams trailing in most European Cup titles
    Except Madrid... and Milan... and...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

p.pete wrote:
    I'd still reckon Baros will start and Kewell and Cisse will be on the bench

agreed. I haven't changed my mind about Benitez's starting formation:

Dudek
    Finnan--Carra-Hyppia-Traore
    ----Hamman----Alonso
    -Garcia----Gerrard
    Riise-
    Baros

Uefa allow a big bench so Cisse and Kewell will defo be in that.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭tel922001

i taught i put all english teams sorry my mistake

The Mirror is hinting that Baros may be dropped:

Baros on verge of leaving Anfield
    Tuesday, 24 May 2005 12:36

Liverpool striker Milan Baros has admitted tomorrow's Champions League final could represent his last game in the famous red shirt.

The Czech forward could be dropped for the game following revelations that his agent, Pavel Paska, has been in talks with other clubs over a move at the end of the season.

Baros told the Daily Mirror: "I have had several offers from other clubs and it is now the job of my agent Pavel to talk to them.

"I am calm about my future and I can concentrate fully on the Champions League final.

Baros, who has failed to recreate his fine international form for the Czech Republic during his time at Anfield, said it is still possible that he will remain at Anfield, but a lot will depend on what the Reds are prepared to offer him.

For the moment, though, tomorrow night's match is the forward's top priority.

"But my main aim at the moment is that I can keep my place ahead of (Djibril) Cisse for the final against Milan, and I will do my best to make that happen."

----

Looks to me like a non-story as all agents are talking to other clubs at the moment. The proof of the pudding will be whether Benitez selects him or not.

Redspider

• Advertisement

p.pete wrote:
    Sitting beside Rafa? :p

sittin with morientes and pelle and all that other players who arent in the squad so as close as im ever likely to get to sittin on the bench!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

When you compare the teams there can only be one result

Liverpool
    JERZY DUDEK - Age: 32 - Position: Goalkeeper - 6
    Prone to errors and due one

STEVE FINNAN - Age: 29 - Position: Defender - 7
    Solid

DJIMI TRAORE - Age: 25 - Position: Defender - 6
    Prone to error - Cafu could destroy him

JAMIE CARRAGHER - Age: 27 - Position: Defender - 9
    Best Player by a long way

SAMI HYYPIA - Age: 31 - Position: Defender - 6
    Slowing down - can be caught for pace - Shev will try and hang on his shoulder

DIETMAR HAMANN - Age: 31 - Position: Midfielder - 6
    Not what he was - does a key job

XABI ALONSO - Age: 23 - Position: Midfielder - 8
    Pools Best midfielder

STEVEN GERRARD - Age: 24 - Position: Midfielder - 7(on recent showings - capable of 9)
    Depends on which one shows up - capable of stunning display but rarely delivers when needed

JOHN ARNE RIISE - Age: 24 - Position: Midfielder - 6
    Not a midfielder - good with a dead ball - will be needed to help Traore

LUIS GARCIA - Age: 26 - Position: Midfielder - 7(purely for his goals - 5 otherwise)
    Rubbish apart from crucial goals - gives the ball away easily

MILAN BAROS - Age: 23 - Position: Striker - 6
    Headless Chicken - Has pace to trouble Stam

Milan

DIDA - Age: 31 - Position: Goalkeeper - 7
    Doesn't fill me with confidence but better than the one at the other end

CAFU - Age: 34 - Position: Defender - 8
    Class - especially attacking

PAOLO MALDINI - Age: 36 - Position: Defender
    One word - Legend - makes up for his leack of pace by superb reading

ALESSANDRO NESTA - Age: 29 - Position: Defender - 9
    one of the worlds best desfenders

JAAP STAM - Age: 32 - Position: Defender - 7
    Strong but not the quickest - prob the weak link

GENNARO GATTUSO - Age: 27 - Position: Midfielder - 8
    Tenacious - ley to Milans style

CLARENCE SEEDORF - Age: 29 - Position: Midfielder - 7
    Depends on if in the mood - if so can be very good

ANDREA PIRLO - Age: 26 - Position: Midfielder - 9
    Quality

KAKA - Age: 23 - Position: Midfielder - 9
    Different Class

ANDRIY SHEVCHENKO - Age: 28 - Position: Striker - 10
    Best in the business

HERNAN CRESPO - Age: 29 - Position: Striker -
    Goal Scorer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

TheMonster wrote:

So if we compared liverpool man for man with juve and chelsea you think we would of came out better? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Hope it is a good open match, doubt it too much at stake but since 1 of my first football memories was watching liverpool winning the 1981 european cup final i'll will go for Milan 2-0. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Suffering from a bad bout of PMT atm (pre match tension ;) )God knows how it will go I genuinely have no idea. To have got this far im delighted while 1-0 down to olympiakos I never dreamt this possible. Liverpool had no chance of progressing in the last two matches its anyones game :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Heard it all before so many time this season Monster and all were proved wrong.
    On paper means nothing,if Pool pack the midfield with hard hitters they can unsettle Milan.
    Apart from Gatusso i dont see any real steel in their midfield where as Pool can call on any or all of Hamann,Gerrard and the much under-rated but immensely tough Biscan.
    If Milan get into their stride with the class that they have we could be in trouble.
    Im quietly confident as i was against Juve and Chelsea,Pool always play better when underdogs.
    If our midfield are on song Milan wont live with Pools superior physical presence but we do need a performance form the front players whoever they may be.
    Cant wait for it but im bricking it and cant think of anything else right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

TheMonster wrote:

Liverpool
    JERZY DUDEK - Age: 32 - Position: Goalkeeper - 6
    Prone to errors and due one

STEVE FINNAN - Age: 29 - Position: Defender - 7
    Solid

DJIMI TRAORE - Age: 25 - Position: Defender - 6
    Prone to error - Cafu could destroy him

JAMIE CARRAGHER - Age: 27 - Position: Defender - 9
    Best Player by a long way

SAMI HYYPIA - Age: 31 - Position: Defender - 6
    Slowing down - can be caught for pace - Shev will try and hang on his shoulder

DIETMAR HAMANN - Age: 31 - Position: Midfielder - 6
    Not what he was - does a key job

XABI ALONSO - Age: 23 - Position: Midfielder - 8
    Pools Best midfielder

STEVEN GERRARD - Age: 24 - Position: Midfielder - 7(on recent showings - capable of 9)
    Depends on which one shows up - capable of stunning display but rarely delivers when needed

JOHN ARNE RIISE - Age: 24 - Position: Midfielder - 6
    Not a midfielder - good with a dead ball - will be needed to help Traore

LUIS GARCIA - Age: 26 - Position: Midfielder - 7(purely for his goals - 5 otherwise)
    Rubbish apart from crucial goals - gives the ball away easily

MILAN BAROS - Age: 23 - Position: Striker - 6
    Headless Chicken - Has pace to trouble Stam

Milan

DIDA - Age: 31 - Position: Goalkeeper - 7
    Doesn't fill me with confidence but better than the one at the other end

CAFU - Age: 34 - Position: Defender - 8
    Class - especially attacking

PAOLO MALDINI - Age: 36 - Position: Defender
    One word - Legend - makes up for his leack of pace by superb reading

ALESSANDRO NESTA - Age: 29 - Position: Defender - 9
    one of the worlds best desfenders

JAAP STAM - Age: 32 - Position: Defender - 7
    Strong but not the quickest - prob the weak link

GENNARO GATTUSO - Age: 27 - Position: Midfielder - 8
    Tenacious - ley to Milans style

CLARENCE SEEDORF - Age: 29 - Position: Midfielder - 7
    Depends on if in the mood - if so can be very good

ANDREA PIRLO - Age: 26 - Position: Midfielder - 9
    Quality

KAKA - Age: 23 - Position: Midfielder - 9
    Different Class

ANDRIY SHEVCHENKO - Age: 28 - Position: Striker - 10
    Best in the business

HERNAN CRESPO - Age: 29 - Position: Striker -
    Goal Scorer

Slightly off topic but how would you rate man u against Ac ??

You are obviously right thoug. Liverpool will never beat Bayer, sorry meant Juve, sorry did I say Jve, meant Chelsea oh no it's not Chelsea now it's AC. The pool have no chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

You are obviously right thoug. Liverpool will never beat Bayer, sorry meant Juve, sorry did I say Jve, meant Chelsea oh no it's not Chelsea now it's AC. The pool have no chance.

i strongly agree
    thank god someone else can see sense!

I'd to an extent agree with those ratings, although you give much lavise on onto star players, with a lot of rep, and not team preformers, like Stam for example, who has been one of Milans better defenders this year.

I thought Juve would thrash Liverpool, in an Italian sense of two 1-0's :)
    I wasn't sure about Chelsea, since its essentially a premiership tie and anything could happen.
    I honastly think that Milan will totally dominate and win 2 or 3 nil, but I've been wrong in so many CL games this year :)

p.s. I'd love to see Gerrard score another own goal, that'd be funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

DEATH TO THE DISBELIVERS!

Ahem, sorry :o

Mike.

Cant wait for it but im bricking it and cant think of anything else right now.

If you really want to get in the mood look at both of these videos before the match. Gives me goosepimples. Here.

• Advertisement

Them links jjust link me to the website and not the files .
    Got the vid of the awesome Alonso,what a player,the most creative midfielder in Premiership imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Well I'm off to the sack, have to get up early to get over to Liverpool and I'm so feckin nervous it's unreal. I don't know if I'll even sleep properly. Hopefully the next time I post on these boards the pool will be champions of Europe for the 5th time and there'll be twenty threads about how they were "lucky" to even get to the final :rolleyes:

Oh and one more thing:

GWAN THE POOL!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

my prediction:

3-2 to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I am ****ting myself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I too have a feeling there will be too many goals in this for comfort. I'm also thinking 3-2 'Pool and considering cleaning out Paddy Power. The fool is offering 375-1 on Riise to score first in Liverpool's historic 3-2 overhaul of Milan.
    Muuhahahahaha!

Them links jjust link me to the website and not the files .

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php/topic,67434.0.html - they are all on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

milltown wrote:
    I too have a feeling there will be too many goals in this for comfort. I'm also thinking 3-2 'Pool and considering cleaning out Paddy Power. The fool is offering 375-1 on Riise to score first in Liverpool's historic 3-2 overhaul of Milan.
    Muuhahahahaha!
    The "fool" rarely gets it wrong!!! :rolleyes:

Just watched the Liverpool v Milan Preview clip from djibrilliant, its fúcking amazing, i nearly came! Oh my god its today! Been waiting years for this and its today!! COME ON THE POOL!!!

I dont get the feeling that there will be many goals in it. Of course anything can happen in football, but this is Milan we are talking about and both Managers are likely to set out their stalls with the aim of not conceding a goal in the first half. I would love to see Liverpool attack from the off and put them under pressure though, get the tempo level up. Benitez may push for that option, we'll see. I think that attack against Milan s the best way to defend, if you know what I mean.

Some good quotes from Carragher and Gerrard. They seem to have their heads screwed on and have the right approach:

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N148800050525-0415.htm
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N148902050525-0416.htm

+++

Reporter: Steven, how confident are you that Liverpool can pull off the result yourself and every Liverpudlian is dreaming of?

Gerrard: Very. We've beaten some of best teams in Europe already so there's no reason why we can't go there and get the right result. We know there's a tough task ahead, but we're really confident and we're not going to Istanbul just to enjoy the experience, we're going there to win it.

Redspider

uh oh, Liverpool are no longer the underdogs in Gerrards mind :)
    Liverpool have lost, hard luck :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Go on the POOL

2-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

go on the pool!!!!!!!!

I can feel it we gonna win it!!! hope Kewell is not on though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Heres hoping that Liverpool win it :) (and this from an Arsenal fan, wheres the wire brush I feel unclean!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Should'nt we have a fresh thread for the game and aftermath?

Strong suggestions that Kewell will play behind Cisse from the start!

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_objectid=15555872%26method=full%26siteid=50061%26headline=kewell-in-running-for-shock-inclusion-name_page.html

Of course this could well be a blindside maneuver by rafa.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Can't see it happening but if it does what does it say for the standard of European football if the 5th best team in the premiership can win the CL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

The Muppet wrote:
    Can't see it happening but if it does what does it say for the standard of European football if the 5th best team in the premiership can win the CL?

i don't know if it really says anything. Perhaps it says a lot more about Benitez's managerial style, or the comittment level of some of the players when it comes to the smaller PL matches.

anyway, gwan the pool - will be in the Merrion Inn tonight, twill be a good night no matter what result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

The Muppet wrote:

I can see your school report now. reads "must try harder" ;)

Tonight, head is saying valiant defeat for pool - 2-1
    Heart believes though. They definitely could do it though. The kewell thing has to be a ruse though, they'll finish it like that though I'd say.

I think for next season Kewell and Cisse could be a good combo, but for tonight? could work but would be a gamble

It says that the other teams couldnt beat Liverpool, end of story.
    I can see your school report now. reads "must try harder"

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

TBH, i'd consider dropping Garcia for this game. i know he has a good scoring rate in the competition, but he loses the ball so much that against milan, the masters of possession football, it could be more dangerous for us to have Garcia on the pitch. hopefully i'm wrong, but we'll see.

my prediction would be based entirely on how well liverpool keep the ball. if they give it away as often as usual, they'll be lucky to get it back at times.

so i'm going for 1-0 to pool if we score in the first 15 mins. otherwise we're screwed methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Muppet wrote:

It will say they're the Champions of Europe. It's hillarious really - when Man United won it in 1999, Liverpool fans were told it was a much tougher competition and produced a much higher standard of opposition than when the Reds won it 4 times.

Now that Liverpool are in a the final they're trying to say the exact opposite and that in actual fact, it's too easy to win now. Maybe the European Cup was only worth winning in 1999? In fairness though I can understand Man U fan's frustrations. Ferguson has made it his mission to try and win it again, even going as far as basing his team and purchases on European competition and yet in just one season, with a team of so-called lesser players Benitez has done what Ferguson hasn't been able to do in the last five seasons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement