Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boys in blue

Options
  • 16-05-2005 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭

So after all the PR the boys in blue were putting out on the airwaves during the week how many people came across a check points over the weekend?

I myself only came across the gardai once over the weekend checking speed on the M11 when the speed changes from 120kmph to 60kmph (with one of those half sized speed signs)-fish in a barrel time again - luck it was predictable thou.

Oh I did come across a patrol car cutting across two lane at the last second to go up the off ramp for blanch on the N3, with no indicator and after tailgating the car in from (and nope they weren't responding to a call)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I drove from Naas Co. Kildare to Gort Co. Galway on saturday, back to Naas on sunday.
    Also I did a good bit of driving near Mondello on sunday evening (where the british super bikes were on) and I saw one bluebottle, parked in Moate on sunday morning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Drove from Dublin to Enniscrone and back again and didn't see one checkpoint.

Saw a patrol car once, but that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Didn't see any checkpoints all weekend, just a garda car in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Don't yet call'em 'Smurfs' either, over here? Or has the Leprechaun's Association lobbied imports of the comic and no-one knows what a Smurf is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

out all weekend in a car od some-sort either my own or my mates new E46 M3 (oh my god!).
    never once came across a speed trap, a checkpoint. I did see 2 squad cars, both just on patrol - one of which was on friday evening and they were more interested in a girl walking her dog in the evening sunshine than the tailback they were causing as the lights had shifted to green! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

There's a Laser guy (mondeo estate traffic corps livery) very often on the M1/Ardee roundabout. Came across him yesterday evening (Sundays seem to be his favourite).

He parks on the roundabout footpath itself as you exit from the Ardee road to go on to the M1. I can't figure out what he is looking for as basically you have to slow down to enter the roundabout so speeding would seem very strange.

Ominously I noticed as I was passing him that the camera was pointed sideways at me to get a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Came across one police check-point....on the on-ramp to the N3 coming from the Blanchardstown Centre......
    All weekend around Blanch, I came across patrol cars crusing around....there was def a notable presence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 dfitz1

There's a Laser guy (mondeo estate traffic corps livery) very often on the M1/Ardee roundabout. Came across him yesterday evening (Sundays seem to be his favourite).

He parks on the roundabout footpath itself as you exit from the Ardee road to go on to the M1. I can't figure out what he is looking for as basically you have to slow down to enter the roundabout so speeding would seem very strange.

Ominously I noticed as I was passing him that the camera was pointed sideways at me to get a good look.

I drive Dundalk to Dunshaughlin every day & see him most days. He has a habit of sitting on the slip road at Ardee and/or Castlebellingham waiting for a Northern car doing 100mph+ so that he can have a good chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i saw loads .

and got myself done for driving in a aera where i honestly didnt know the speed limit was 80 and not 100 bah i was having a nice drive 2 . a well the guard was nice and did agree with me that there was no signs saying the speed limit in the area but also said ill have to pay this within 30 days .

o well you live u learn
    I drive Dundalk to Dunshaughlin every day & see him most days. He has a habit of sitting on the slip road at Ardee and/or Castlebellingham waiting for a Northern car doing 100mph+ so that he can have a good chase.

ye i see him 2 bit think he loves his job 2much .. tho i wouldnt mind doing it for a day r 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Drove from Dublin to Cavan and back and no sign which was strange because they are usually all over the N3.....funniest thing I did see was on Clonsilla Rd in Blanchardstown

Was going past the station there and seen a young Garda on a motorbike ready to turn out so I slowed up to let him out but no movement so I went on past and indicated to turn onto Clonsilla Rd, about 2 cars behind I could see the Garda behind indicating to turn follow me onto Clonsilla Rd.....so pulled up and went up as far as traffic lights onto Roselawn Rd to the left or straight on to continue up Clonsilla Rd......

Now the whole time I was watching the Garda ever so often in rear view mirror....well as I was slowing down/stopping did look around so when I did look back(once I had stopped) he had disappeared....I was like where the f**k and though maybe he had passed us by but nothing....then I seen everyone laughing and this builder guy running over...next thing Garda popped back up(motorbikeless).......he had fallen off the bike......was so funny.....everyone was just rolling around....poor fellow.....

Anyway feckin Learner drivers :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

passed a speed trap on the south link here in cork on my way back from my nct on friday and then about 7 or 8 hundred metres further on i pased a second one. madness to have half a dozen cops checking speed along 1 km of dual carrigeway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Drove from Cork to Clare and back on Friday, didn't see a single copper all day.
    Did about 250 miles in all, and did in fact go slightly over the limit on a few occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

daveirl wrote:

What is stupid about that?

I am guessing you were bloody sure that you adhered to the limit for that 'ages'
    I am also guessing anyone prone to speeding also stuck to the limit for that 'ages'

So job done, that patrol car managed to keep all the traffic on a (seemingly) long stretch of road, on the limit, without pi ssing anyone off with tickets/p.points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

I saw at squad car doing a u turn on the m50 too, he had his lights on, i had just passed him , and then he shot across the road to go southbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

nope no sign of the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

daveirl wrote:

1 is there to catch you going above the limit, the other is to stop you and give you the penalty, that happens at some places

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

the cops are always harping on about 'high profile' and 'prevention rather than detection' which are great, has anyone ever seen them do this?. Theory that the cops seem to be coming up with is 'if they dont know where we are they will drive like we are there all the time'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

edmund_f wrote:
    Theory that the cops seem to be coming up with is 'if they dont know where we are they will drive like we are there all the time'.
    Sure we already know that - stick to the speed limits on wide dual carriage and motorways, put the boot down on the back roads where they never are :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Drove from Mullingar to Westport and back on saturday, saw one checkpoint on the way back, somewhere in deepest darkest Roscommon. Also got stopped at a checkpoint coming back from football on Thursday night, one of those where they look at you and wave you on.

Advertisement