Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which cables?

Options
  • 16-05-2005 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I'm in the middle of building a house and currently stuck on the electrical layout. I intend on having my TV (maybe mounted on a wall) seperate from the music system, dvd player, playstation etc. (all in one spot). Which cables do I need to run to the TV or would one scart lead do the lot? For the future when HD comes in will there be a new type of cable to consider also? Cheers for any info...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

A scart lead running from a scart switcher will do for now. If you ever want to hook the TV up to a sperate sound system in the futre you will need to have audio cable running from the TV. For futre proofing HDMI and component cables would be needed to carry hi-def signals. Although I don't know if component will still be used once HDMI catches on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 switchrider

Cheers Ciaran

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I'm in the middle of building a house and currently stuck on the electrical layout. I intend on having my TV (maybe mounted on a wall) seperate from the music system, dvd player, playstation etc. (all in one spot). Which cables do I need to run to the TV or would one scart lead do the lot? For the future when HD comes in will there be a new type of cable to consider also? Cheers for any info...
    If you have a wall plate where the TV will be and another where all your sources are you could run some conduit between the 2. Have whichever cable you decide oin for now and a piece of cord. If yuo need to change later just remove the wall plates and pull the new cable through.

Are you putting in surround speakers? If not, put conduit in the wall anyway running from your sources to where the speakers would be. This will make upgrading easier in the future. And while you are at it, run CAT5 to your light switches in case you decide to get a bit of home automatin into you at a later date.

This might all sound a bit much but it is soooo much easier to do when you are building the house and is also relatively cheap so if you don't use it in the future it is not a big waste of money.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 33 switchrider

How will CAT 5 help with the light switches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭OhPinchy

Hi Switchrider - I believe that home automation systems which generally include room control, use cat 5 cables. This means that if you already have cat5 cables run into light switches, you could use this in the future if you install room control hardware and software (e.g. you could turn the lights on in one room from another room, or even control it all via a phone call).

• Advertisement
Advertisement