Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting to Leixlip via Naas

• 16-05-2005 2:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭

hi

am starting a new job in Intel, Leixlip in 2 weeks times. Just wanted to run the following by some people to see what they think.

Coming from Laois, am going to take the N7/M7 up to Naas (Junction before Johnstown set of lights) bypassing Ballybrittas, Monasterevin and Kildare.

Starting out at Jct N7/M7/R445 (NE Naas),Kildare I was going to go up the ramp following the signs for Naas and then Sallins. Is there a bridge that one can take for Sallins without having to go into Naas town? If so, is that the first or second bridge before Jct N7/M7/R445 (NE Naas)?

From Sallins I was going to head for Clane, then follow the signs for Dublin but taking the left for Maynooth, before Maynooth drop down on M4 and head towards Leixlip interchange.

What do people think ?

I had posted something similiar a few months ago but cannot find it (so sorry).

--laoisfan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Sounds straight-forward enough, or you could go into maynooth village and take a left and straight past tescos and keep going and it'll bring you straight into the Intel Roundabout in Leixlip. Though if your comfortable using the M4, that'll probably get you there quicker as maynooth village can be a right pain to get through sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

silas wrote:
    Sounds straight-forward enough, or you could go into maynooth village and take a left and straight past tescos and keep going and it'll bring you straight into the Intel Roundabout in Leixlip. Though if your comfortable using the M4, that'll probably get you there quicker as maynooth village can be a right pain to get through sometimes.

quick question though!!

which is the sallins bridge before the naas junction (Jct N7/M7/R445 (NE Naas)), heading towards Dublin now. There are 2 bridges before this jct, do you know which bridge it is?

thanks - laoisfan

It must be the bridge in Sallins that is really steep, the one after the pelican crossing (when coming from Naas). I could be wrong, here now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Starting out at Jct N7/M7/R445 (NE Naas),Kildare I was going to go up the ramp following the signs for Naas and then Sallins. Is there a bridge that one can take for Sallins without having to go into Naas town? If so, is that the first or second bridge before Jct N7/M7/R445 (NE Naas)?

You can come off the M7 at the junction where it becomes the N7, and turn onto the Monread Road, then head for Sallins

BuffyBot wrote:
    You can come off the M7 at the junction where it becomes the N7, and turn onto the Monread Road, then head for Sallins

Monread road ? Is that the road to the left at the Johnstown set of lights (facing towards Dublin) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

laoisfan wrote:

Monread road ? Is that the road to the left at the Johnstown set of lights (facing towards Dublin) ?
    The Monread Road, is the road between the M7 at the concrete ball and Sallins.

My suggestions:
    Come off at the rathdangan junction, thats the junction between Newbridge Junction and Naas Junction (concrete ball).
    Head for Rathdangan, take first Right, sign posted Sallins. This'll bring you into the village of Sallins just at the speed limit. This is too avoid the roadworks at the Nass interchange with the M7.

Or if the traffic wasn't too bad at Naas, ie. off peak hours. I'd head as far as the Johnstown Lights, head left towards Straffan, then head for Maynooth. It'll bring you straight to M4 Maynooth bypassing Clane and Sallins, and Clane can be one hell of a bottleneck at times.

Bogger77 wrote:
    ......and Clane can be one hell of a bottleneck at times.

well i be thinking of passing through clane sometime between 7:00-7:15am in the morning. would it be bad around this time ? what about evenings as well ?

thanks for all this info btw.

What part of leix, you heading from?

There's an effort of a relief road there now, but I'd avoid clane in the evenings, morning should be fine

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.theaa.ie/
    http://www.aaireland.ie/routes/ - Tweak if you have close addresses

Total Distance: 17.5 miles
    Total Time: 0 hr 27 min

Acc Dist Route Directions
    0.00 0.00 R407 Start out at Naas,Kildare
    Follow signs Sallins, Clane R407
    2.30 2.30 R407 Sallins
    In 1.1 miles forward
    5.40 3.10 R403 Clane
    Turn right R403 (signposted Dublin)
    9.50 4.10 R406 Junction with R406
    Turn left R406 (signposted Maynooth)
    12.60 3.10 M4 Junction with M4
    Turn right (signposted Dublin) to join Motorway M4
    15.10 2.50 R449 Celbridge Interchange
    Leave motorway (signposted Leixlip) At roundabout take 1st exit R449 In 0.5 mile at roundabout take 2nd exit
    16.10 1.00 R148 Junction with R148
    At roundabout take 2nd exit R148
    17.50 1.40 R148 Arrive at Leixlip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

laoisfan wrote:
    which is the sallins bridge before the naas junction (Jct N7/M7/R445 (NE Naas)), heading towards Dublin now. There are 2 bridges before this jct, do you know which bridge it is?

Not trying to be funny, but I assume by bridge, you mean exit from the motorway?

On the Motorway, coming from Laois (M7), take the second exit for Naas. You then loop around to the right, seeing the big monstosity that is that ball thing. You go right again (that's the Monread road other posters are talking about) and yet another right at the roundabout for Sallins. You do not go into Naas. Sallins is one way (the correct way), Naas is the other way.

You then go to Clane, aim for Celbridge, turn left at Barberstown Castle, this will bring you towards Maynooth. As you pass the Straffan Lodge Hotel, you will come to a roundabout, head for Maynooth, go over the bridge over the M4 motorway and take a right (down on to the M4 Motorway). Go on about 5 mins and take the first left off the motorway (the Leixlip/Celbridge exit). Left again, past two roundabouts and you are there.

This is the route Capt'n Midnight has suggested, just thought I would explain it more :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You could go Kill - Straffan - Maynooth, but avoid Maynooth Village, take the M4 to the next exit and it drops you to the gate at Intel.
    silas wrote:
    or you could go into maynooth village and take a left and straight past tescos
    You mean take a right (opposite of left ;))

thanks for all the info

am off next week so will do a test run and see how it goes.

i am coming from borris-in-ossory, laois so my plan was to do the following:

borris-in-ossory -> mountrath -> to portlaoise bypass.
    once on bypass continue on up to the 2nd naas turnoff and then for sallins, clane and m4 near maynooth as suggested.

my hours are 8:00am each morning until 4:30pm mon-thurs, 3:30pm fri.
    AA routeplanner estimates about 1hr 40 mins but it takes me into Ballybrittas, Monasterevin and Kildare. I reckon bypassing them and assuming taffic is moving well i could possibly do it in 1hr 20 mins. Would that be realistic time?

does anyone travel up/down to Intel regularly from Laois direction? If so, could they specify their route(s) and rough journey times?

again, thanks for all the info so far...much appreciated.

--laoisfan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I'd go with Victor's suggestion (ie Kill-Straffon-Maynooth and then down the M4). That's the way I always used when ever I was travelling from Nenagh to Maynooth. Got stuck in Clane too many times before switching to this route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'd go with Victor's suggestion (ie Kill-Straffon-Maynooth and then down the M4).

Just beware that a lot of the back roads are suffering from extra traffic..people will do anything to avoid the roadworks on the dual carriageway

victor wrote:
    You mean take a right (opposite of left)
    Yeah Sorry, got a bit confused there, misspelling sorry about that. Cant believe I didn't spot it after posting it yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

I travel very close to that journey every day, as do a number of my colleagues. The best way to go is:
    Take the Rathangan/Naas exit off the M7. Keep left
    About 1 mile down you come to a crossroads.Turn right
    About 1 mile down you come to a another crossroads.Turn left.
    Continue on straight through the narrow bridge and on through Carragh village.
    As you leave the village you will see a large church on you left.
    Take the next right (approx 1/2 mile further on from the church).
    Follow this road all the way into Clane
    you will come to a T junction in Clane. Take a right
    You will very quickly come to a rounabout. Take a left.
    Keep left on the next roundabout
    And take a right at the last one (you are now on the Clane-Celbridge Road)
    Continue on to Barberstown Castle and turn left there (towards Maynooth)
    Continue on to Maynooth. And take the Motoway (M4) exit towards Dublin.
    Take the next exit off the Motorway and head left. (Celbridge Interchange)
    Keep straight on the new dual carriageway.
    Go straight through one roundabout. and at the last roundabout head left.
    Intel is 100yds up on the Right

PM me if you need more info. Best of luck with the new job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bop1977

be aware that all the office staff get in for 8am and there is always a very long que coming off the M4. u might be better off coming in from maynooth or coming in from leixlip village

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

laoisfan wrote:
    am starting a new job in Intel, Leixlip in 2 weeks times.

Just curious, in what department will you be working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

Don't Go Through Maynooth Or through Leixlip. They are mad in the morning. I have being doing this journey for the last 2 years (for 8am). I have tried every concievable route.

Yes, Getting on the M4 is probably the biggest delay. There is another backroad as you enter Maynooth. I didn't want to direct LaoisFan that way as its a bad road, and its a little complicated. But here goes.

When you are coming into Maynooth. pass the Straffan court hotel and take the next right. Its a very narrow road. follow that road down for about 2 miles. (Be Careful! its a very narrow windey road.) You will pass SAP landscaping (a small factory) on your left. Take the next left. (This brings you over the motorway.) Continue on and keep left around the sharp bend. About 100yds after the bend take the next right. Follow this road for about 2 miles. You will come over a narrow bridge (Pike's bridge). Keep left after the bridge, and then position yourself to turn back right. (Its a very weird road layout)

When you turn right follow that road (Maynooth-Leixlip road) for about a mile. and Intel is on your left. (The entire journey from the M7 to Intel is 40 mins)

This entire journey may seem complicated but it avoids Kill/Nass/Clane and Sallins, and is the quickest way in for 8am.

BuffyBot wrote:

thanks for all the info guys. finished up my job on friday 20th last. have this week before i start in intel. decided to do a test run on monday morning last. left my house at 5:55am (i live near donaghmore (near rathdowney), laois and did the following:

donaghmore -> borris-in-ossory (N7)
    borris-in-ossory -> mountrath (N7)
    mountrath -> naas (junction before johnstown set of lights) (N7/M7).
    went up the ramp and took the monread road for sallins.
    from sallins, headed for clane, just before clane took the little ring road around it. headed for celbridge/dublin and took the left (barberstown castle) for maynooth. before maynooth dropped down onto the M4 motorway and took the exit for leixlip interchange. arrived outside intel about 7:15am. total 1hr 20mins...would have been less only i got stuck behind a truck on the M4.

so, not bad for a first attempt. mind you, traffic was light enough so i guess a few runs when i start properly next week will see on average how long it takes.

question: before i went up the ramp at naas (ramp with the GIANT ball on it) there was about a mile or mile-&-half tailback. now as i was going to be taking the left i decided to jump in the hardshoulder, indicator on, going about 50km per hour...........can a cop do you in that instance? i mean legally, ok they can, but in general????? i was going to be taking the left anyway, and was not tearing up the hardshoulder. anyone venture an opinion? thanks.

--laoisfan

• Advertisement

Yes, you can be done,

Avoid that, by coming of the M7 at the exit before the one you did, marked Rathdangan or Mondello. Then follow sign at roundabout there for Rathdangan (R409), take first Right (at a crossroads), sign posted Sallins, this is about 3/4 miles from where you left motorway, then keep on that road til u hit the edge of Sallins!

I go look for a shot of this from my old MS Autoroute [edit]can't get good map[/edit]

Advertisement