Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How old is a classic?

• 16-05-2005 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hi
    I am thinking about buying a second car and would like something for fun but what I don't know is what makes a car classic, does it need to be over 25 years or what?

Oh and do you need an NCT on them or whats the story there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

A classic can be brand new, it depends on the Car the beetle stoped production in south america only a short time back, its a classic, but there is no set rules to defining a classic they in the main are cars that
    -Where one off or short span production, McLaren F1 is an example here and that was a 90's car
    -A car that mobilised a nation or world, Fiat 500
    -A car that was years ahead of its time, Citroen DS

So it is more of a personal decision to whats a classic car. A classic can be brand new or the first car ever produced it all depends what you are after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭ClonmelMan

Sorry I should have made it a bit clearer, what I'm after is a car that will qualify for the classic €150 insurance policy with Irish Vintage Society

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Afraid I can't remember what the criteria for the IVS is.
    Would be at least 25 yrs I suspect though. But there are other insurers that will quote you classic policies on cars 20+ years. (See sticky thread at top).

To answer your other question, 30 years (from month of first registration) is the magic number for cheap Motor Tax, exemption from the NCT, and 0% VRT.

G'luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

I think that some insurers call it 25 others 20 and one calls them classic at 30. But their websites will tell you that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭ClonmelMan

My problem is that I rang my ins company to check the cost of insurance on a second car again I wanted to insure a sporty car but they said I had only one policy with No claims bonus ( 10 + years) so I would need a full new policy that would cost me 3 times my current insurance but they don't do it. they said the best way out of it was to insure my wife and go as a named driver, to do this I would need to take a new policy for her and she only has a provisonal licence (2nd car was going to be a 1.8L so thats out of the question) so I am thinking a classic car with cheap insurance.

Just looking for something for fun :)

Has anyone else insured 2 cars, can it be done?

• Advertisement

Try some different insurance companies. Sometimes you might get awarded a few years NCB for free just to get you to use them for your second car. First Ireland gave me three years for free - I just have to show I had a NCB that I was using already with another company.

G'luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

For IVS cheap insurance, the car has to be pre 1980 so 25 years.
    I rang up to check this for my Dad but found out that at 71 he's too old to get cover as they only insure people between 26 and 70.

For IVS cheap insurance, the car has to be pre 1980 so 25 years.
    I rang up to check this for my Dad but found out that at 71 he's too old to get cover as they only insure people between 26 and 70.
    So the car can be vintage, but not the driver... ;)

How ironic.

Advertisement