Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3: Official Unveiling

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Getting off topic for a minute, is anyone expecting any big surprises tonight? I think Sony are just going to play it safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I personally do not think the Cell processor is going to live up to all the hype.. I also think that in terms of raw power, the Xbox 360 and PS3 are going to be fairly even.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Sony better hurry up and release some pics and specs or else Tusky and jesus_thats_gre will end up sleeping with each other or something :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

well I expect atleast one real picture ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

This is fairly depressing to be honest.

I seen something mentioning a 4Ghz single Cell processor capable of 256 GigaFlops. Considering the Xbox 360 is pushing 1 TerraFlop, I am wouldnt be impressed at all.
    Sony have announced 10 TerraFlops for the PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

bizmark wrote:
    Sony better hurry up and release some pics and specs on else Tusky and jesus_thats_gre will end up sleeping with each other or something :p

lol

only if he got strawberry and kiwi jam..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

bizmark wrote:
    Sony better hurry up and release some pics and specs on else Tusky and jesus_thats_gre will end up sleeping with each other or something :p

We are cybering via PM as we speak. Hes mediocre at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Kaz Hirai has taken the stage, beginning his speech with "190 million PS2s sold. 2 billion software sales" Hirai then began speaking about PlayStation 3... It features the CELL processor as previously reported, and also features a Blu-Ray Disk drive, running at 6x. Backwards compatibility with both PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games has also just been confirmed. Hirai also stated that PlayStation 3 runs at twice the speed of Xbox 360. The PlayStation 3 console is capable of reaching 10 Terraflops of processing information.

from http://www.cgno.com/news_live.php?name=sony

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

that last one was fake Gonzo

• Advertisement

Sony have announced 10 TerraFlops for the PS3.

This was speculation as to what a rack of 8 or so Cell Processors could manage.. Sony have not actually released anything other than hype in relation to what the PS3 is capable off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

Kaz Hirai has taken the stage, beginning his speech with "190 million PS2s sold. 2 billion software sales" Hirai then began speaking about PlayStation 3... It features the CELL processor as previously reported, and also features a Blu-Ray Disk drive, running at 6x. Backwards compatibility with both PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games has also just been confirmed. Hirai also stated that PlayStation 3 runs at twice the speed of Xbox 360. The PlayStation 3 console is capable of reaching 10 Terraflops of processing information.
    http://www.cgno.com/news_live.php?name=sony

damn that was posted fast :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

I personally do not think the Cell processor is going to live up to all the hype.. I also think that in terms of raw power, the Xbox 360 and PS3 are going to be fairly even.

Well, I have a feeling that sony are doing something special. Distributed computing will probably change the world :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

dloob wrote:

from http://www.cgno.com/news_live.php?name=sony

twice the speed...

Oh...................................................... my god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

This was speculation as to what a rack of 8 or so Cell Processors could manage.. Sony have not actually released anything other than hype in relation to what the PS3 is capable off.
    No, I was just quoting the thing that dloob quoted 2 posts after me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I've just got an erection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

So 10 Terraflops is twice the speed of 1 Terraflop? Hmmm

Unless he's talking about clockspeeds, but no way is the PS3 running at 6GHz surely.

Mind you I'm still waiting for that realtime toy story on my PS2 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭8bi1ctzegfouva

It's just been confirmed that the PS3 will have a detachable hard drive, six USB ports, a memory stick, and seven bluetooth wireless controllers.

7 controllers?? wtf??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

steviec wrote:
    So 10 Terraflops is twice the speed of 1 Terraflop? Hmmm
    Unless he's talking about clockspeeds, but no way is the PS3 running at 6GHz surely

I was wondering about that myself

There is a shot of a slide from the presentation here
    http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000050043558/

It says the cell processer is running at 3.2Ghz.
    Doesn't say how many it has.

7 is an odd number of controllers, literally :)

But the more the merrier!

This is suddenly very interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

"It's just been confirmed that the PS3 will have a detachable hard drive, six USB ports, a memory stick slot, and seven bluetooth wireless controllers. "

Seven, what an odd number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

dloob wrote:
    Mind you I'm still waiting for that realtime toy story on my PS2 :D

lol i remember that, NURBS!!!

is that cgn site down?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

From the sony site forums

8784671701491003.JPG?0.268018245833802

Hold on, 7 bluetooth controllers?

Isn't bluetooth fairly crap in comparison to wifi? I seem to remember being told that in networking lectures in the distant past...

do you think it will come with 7? or the usual of just one, but have the ability to take 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

do you think it will come with 7? or the usual of just one, but have the ability to take 7?
    the machine will be a slut

• Advertisement

wonder why the php has wifi, but ps3 has bluetooth, maybe its a pile of ****...???

Advertisement