Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird NTL Broadband availability query.

• 16-05-2005 6:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Im about to move into an apartment complex that;

1. Cannot have broadband on telephone line as exchange hasnt been upgraded.
    2. Is outside the range of Irish broadband.
    3. NTL broadband is available in only a portion of the apartments. Specifically, apartments 114 to 244 (or something like that).

Ok number 1 & 2 I can accept but could anyone enlighten me as to what the deal is with number 3?!

Surely NTL isnt operating over the same lines as eircom. How come they have availability issues aswell? Any info you could give me on this is much appreciated.

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I don't know what to tell you, but if I was on your place, I'd go crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

You should find out exacty why you can't get it from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

CyberGhost wrote:
    I don't know what to tell you, but if I was on your place, I'd go crazy.
    I am!! Right now the idea of coming off a 6mb T2 to a 56k dial up is making me ill.

Infini wrote:
    You should find out exacty why you can't get it from them.
    Just to clarify, there is NTL cable television in every apartment.

And the only answer I can get from NTL is; "Im sorry sir we cannot tell you when it will be available, but you should get a leaflet in the door when it is."
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Surely NTL isnt operating over the same lines as eircom. How come they have availability issues aswell?
    Thankfully NTL and eircom have no common "lines". NTL bb service comes in over the coaxial cable that provides your TV service.
    FYI: Cable service is normally one way (tv signal to house). ntl have upgraded their network in some areas to permit two way data transfer (computer to internet and back).

I have no idea why ntl bb is only available in a subset of the apartment complex. (BTW, who told you this? ntl?).
    I'd say only ntl can tell you why this is the case and when it will be available in your section. Ask them: 1800-321-321.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you know someone in an apartment that can get NTL, then maybe you could ask them to get NTL, you pay for it and then share it to your PC using wireless (Wifi).

Or you could offer to go halves with your neighbour if they want to use it also.

BTW if you do decide to do this, get wifi gear with WPA security and use it, or you will be sharing your BB with everyone in the apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Sounds bizzare that they can give it to some appartments and not others.

Go with bk's idea, and see if you can do it that way.

Yes it is bizzare. I will try BK's idea if I can.

I rang the number daymobrew gave me and they really couldnt give me an answer. They suggested it might be because of the kind of cabling that was paid for, or the management not giving them enough time to set it up.

I will ring the "developments office" in the morning and if I get an answer ill put it up here straight away.

To anyone interested.....

I now have NTL Broadband!! Basically, a few hours after starting this thread two NTL representatives contacted me. They did everything they could to get me sorted with broadband and now within only a few days I finally have it.

I have never experienced such customer service as I have with NTL.

Great job guys. Thanks. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

what a lucky dude *drops tear*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

CyberGhost wrote:

It reminds me of Liverpool becoming Champions of Europe...At the start we though it never would happen but we were shown...yes, we were shown!! :)

Walk on...Walk on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

CyberGhost wrote:

Happy Days! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Philbert wrote:
    To anyone interested.....

I now have NTL Broadband!! Basically, a few hours after starting this thread two NTL representatives contacted me. They did everything they could to get me sorted with broadband and now within only a few days I finally have it.

I have never experienced such customer service as I have with NTL.

Great job guys. Thanks. :)

Just out of interest, where is your apartment ? As I'm moving in to an apartment soon on the outskirts of firhouse.

Advertisement