Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ClassicMerc1.jpg

ClassicMerc2.jpg

ClassicMerc3.jpg

Mike.

Fiat500-600.jpg

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

There's an Opel or Vauxhall Manta hatchback, in gold/beige colour for sale just beyond the 2 mile in in Midleton looks in good nick too, I didn't stop to get a price. Where did you see these cars Mike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Met a load of classic Jags on the road between Ballinasloe and Athlone before lunch today, no chance for photos unfortunately. Mainly UK cars, but I did spot one Dutch registration and one Swedish reg. number, XK 140 on a XK 140 naturally!

Mid afternoon I met another heading north through Headford, I guess the period sat-nav was playing up again! :D

invest4deepvalue.com

Junkyard those pix were taken near Killinick in south Wexford, the site is an equestrian yard, hubby likes to collect old Mercs I've posted a few others of his on this thread before.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

Junkyard those pix were taken near Killinick in south Wexford, the site is an equestrian yard, hubby likes to collect old Mercs I've posted a few others of his on this thread before.

Mike

.......ha ...small world ! I've been there, unknown to the owner, his nephew brought me there about 5 years ago. He brings stuff in from Italy, nice cars, that white W111 Coupe was in the shed when I was last there with a W123 Limo outdoors !

Do you know this guy Mike ??

He and his wife know my bosses daughters a bit as they are in the horse game. I've never got the chance for a decent chat unfortunatly.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

DB6, sorry for just the one poor picture!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

DB6... slobber....

Somehow a DB6 and Woodies seems wrong.

Mike.

• Advertisement

unless the reg cert for the DB6 says "Mr. Woodie"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That's Carrickmines right?

He must have popped into Halfords to price some 19" alloys. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Hi folks, first post in this thread. I spotted this car in Straffan near the K Club a couple of weeks back. I'm not so sure what it is exactly, but it was gorgeous and the driver was happy enough to push it on across the backroads towards the M7 (and then onto the M7!).

image000lk6.th.jpg

edit: excuse the terrible photo, I should not have been taken one in the first place :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭superboy

That looks like an early Jag XK coupe - sweet!!!!

Swiss plate no?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭andreas_220D

mike65 wrote:
    Swiss plate no?

yes, Zurich.

superboy wrote:
    That looks like an early Jag XK coupe - sweet!!!!

That's one of the ones I saw coming out of Galway a few days ago, guess it was some Jag owners club doing a tour, they all had Rally plates on at the time, but I didn't get to read them!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Do-more wrote:
    they all had Rally plates on at the time
    "Rally plates" - I'm waiting to be enlightened! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

He just means those signs on the cars giving details of the tour or whatever.
    You know, "Jaguar club UK, Classic tour of Ireland" or "East Glamorgan Goggomobil club world tour":D
    They are sometimes mounted on the bumper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Merrion

Lovely 93 BMW...

(And I think this the first time I've got the whole car in a photo :-) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hifive wrote:
    He just means those signs on the cars giving details of the tour or whatever.
    You know, "Jaguar club UK, Classic tour of Ireland" or "East Glamorgan Goggomobil club world tour":D
    They are sometimes mounted on the bumper.
    I see. Thanks Hifive. :)

Merrion wrote:
    Lovely 93 BMW...
    A 1993 car in a "classics" thread! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Spotted an early 80's grey Suzuki Alto in Dun Laoighre on Friday. Haven't seen one of that vintage in at least 10 years.

Came across this gathering by accident in New Ross Co. Wexford.

And These,

There were many more but unfortunately they were all leaving just as I arrived.
    Was it something I said?:confused:

How do you get the Pics to open in the thread, without having to click on them? O.K. I'm a Noob.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

To show them in the thread you have to upload them to the likes of imageshack, photobucket flikr etc

Ive used imageshack mainly, opened a flikr account recently to but not tried it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 V6MAT

nice pics.. ive already seen 3 cortinas this morning maybe more later.

Oh dear someone pimped that Mk2 Cortina.

attachment.php?attachmentid=41432&d=1180914016

I had no idea this was on, not that I'd have gone in my condition, I saw a vintage tractor rally on Friday heading out of Waterford going west, could'nt get a shot off.

Mike.

Sorry for my tardy response!

Hifive is correct in guessing I was talking about the likes of this

malts_logorts.gif

A quick trawl of the net suggests that the cars I saw were taking part in the XK Owners Club Deluxe Tour ‘The Cream of Irish’

I think "Rally Plates" is the correct term, it's certainly used on a number of sites when I went checking, however I do stand to be corrected. The anoraks in my wardrobe are pretty shabby these days! :D

invest4deepvalue.com

jozi wrote:
    To show them in the thread you have to upload them to the likes of imageshack, photobucket flikr etc

Ive used imageshack mainly, opened a flikr account recently to but not tried it yet.
    `

Jozi, thanks for that,

• Advertisement

According to Cartell, that 500SL that Hifive took only has a 3.5L engine! :p

Max_Damage wrote:
    According to Cartell, that 500SL that Hifive took only has a 3.5L engine! :p

Not another one. There seems to be a lot of that in SL circles. The shed I looked at in Rathfarnham http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055094327 was also badged as a 500 although in fairness it was advertised as a 350. Also I'm going to see a 450 in Lusk (Dublin) next Monday and wont be surprised if it actually turns out to be a re badged 350.
    I think the 350 was the only engine available up till about 1980 but there was a 450 in the states which was deemed necessary to overcome the anti smog gear that was required there.
    After 1980 the engine line up was changed. the old Iron block V8 was changed for an new all alloy one. the 350 became the 380 then the 420 and then the 500. There was a number of six's as well, a 280 and a 300. There was also a 560 V8 for the American market only, although the Euro 500 was the quickest model.

I think the 380 was the alloy block and gave better mpg.

Yeah I was suspicious of that 500SL too !

There was always a 450SL on offer from the start too but things changed in 1980. The 380SL was the one with the simplex timing chain system, instead of duplex, and it gave trouble. Most will have been converted to Duplex by now.

That 1980 380SL is a rare colour, Denis Mahoney's wife had a new 380SL in that colour in 1980 ! I wonder if its the same car, any idea of the reg. # ?

The later 300SL and the 500's are regarded as the best engines !

I was Wexford for the weekend, I would have travelled over ! :(

Seems to have been a busy w/e for classics. Shame about the rotten weather.

Pulled up behind this lot parked around the corner from me on Monday:

Pic one

Pic two

The "magenta" stag had a Gordon Bennett Rally plate on the front of it. Saw them again heading toward Dun Laoghaire that evening.

MercMad wrote:
    Yeah I was suspicious of that 500SL too !
    "There was always a 450SL on offer from the start too"
    "That 1980 380SL is a rare colour"
    "any idea of the reg. # ?"

Didn't know that about the 350/450.
    Do you know what the bhp figures for each were?
    The colour was pretty much as it looks in the pics, kinda copper/orange. It wouldn't have been my choice.
    The car was re reged as 80 D xxx (I think it was D) so it must have been imported.

Seems to have been a busy w/e for classics. Shame about the rotten weather.

Pulled up behind this lot parked around the corner from me on Monday:

Pic one

Ah, a collection after my own heart.
    On the subject of colour, could you be seen in a magenta (purple/pink) car?

Not sure about the BHP off the top of my head, but fairly sure the 350 is 200BHP and the 450 is 225BHP in Euro spec. The 380 and 500 probably only improved that marginally but the torque was better and the weight lower !

I'll find out though, plenty of books at home !

I actually have seen the 80D 380SL before !

Hifive wrote:
    On the subject of colour, could you be seen in a magenta (purple/pink) car?
    Not unless my missis was driving it - and then only with sunglasses and a trilby. :D

Hifive, my 350 had enough poke to pass anything and everything required on the autoroute up to Roscoff. I wouldn't be concerned about a few extra HP over a nice clean car. And think of the fuel when the damned Greens climb into bed with the government!

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:

Mike,
    Thanks for that info. It also confirms what mercmad thought, me thinks he knows his stuff!
    As Atheist pointed out, theres plenty of power in any of the V8 SL Mercs, what Rolls Royce would have deemed "adequate"
    Mike, as your local to me, if I buy the 450, you can take it for a spin.
    Now... I promise to stop hogging the "Today I saw a classic" thread and will behave in future:)

I passed through New Ross on Friday before lunch, there was only the one classic in the car park at the time, a fairly tidy looking Morris (?) don't see it in any of your photos Hifive. (I just caught it in the background of another photo I was taking for the number plate thread! )

dunbrody.jpg

Was up the far corner of the country today and saw this Singer Gazelle in Ballaghderreen.

Gazelle.jpg

Then there was a Triumph 2000 and a Mk2 Cortina for sale outside a business just outside Bundoran.

T2000.jpg

Cortina.jpg

I should have taken a photo of the sign, the business was called "S & M Valeting" I guess they do "cleaning with a kinky touch" :D

Then in Dunkineeley there was a Datsun 1200 and a rubber bumper Midget for sale.

Datsun.jpg

Midget.jpg

invest4deepvalue.com

Hifive wrote:
    Mike,
    Thanks for that info. It also confirms what mercmad thought, me thinks he knows his stuff!
    As Atheist pointed out, theres plenty of power in any of the V8 SL Mercs, what Rolls Royce would have deemed "adequate"
    Mike, as your local to me, if I buy the 450, you can take it for a spin.

Yay! (/brings two crash helmets! :D )

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Yay! (/brings two crash helmets! :D )

Mike.

Oh sh1t.:eek:

Do-more wrote:
    the business was called "S & M Valeting" I guess they do "cleaning with a kinky touch" :D
    Mmmm. Black leather chamois.

Mmmm. Black leather chamois.

Yeh, they could probably whip your car into shape! :D

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Spotted this Rolls Royce in Limerick today.

Rr.jpg
    Sorry about the photo quality only had a phone with me.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Finally had my camera with me today for the first time in ages, I managed to get a picture of that '87 Mazda 929 Estate I see quite often in Rathfarnham:

s2300092gw7.jpg

Got a (distant) front picture too...

s2300095kv7.jpg

• Advertisement

Spotted this Daimler Coupe in Mullingar today.

dam.jpg

Dam2.jpg

invest4deepvalue.com

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement