Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

junkyard wrote: »
    Some interesting ones from the Retromobile at the weekend.51_Small.jpg
    For anyone that's interested this truck is a Pacific M26 Dragon Wagon. They were used by the U.S. military in WWII as tank transporters and after the war a number of them were acquired by Wynn's Heavy Haulage. Minus their thirsty petrol engines and armour plating they were the prime movers for Wynns until the mid 60's when the Scammell Contractor became the truck of choice for heavy haulage.
    Wynns_04.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Hermy wrote: »
    An Aston Martin Lagonda today in Ely Place.
    A 1990 model according to Cartell.
    Aston_Martin_Lagonda_Small.jpg

Amazing! I don't think I've seen one on the road in the last 20 years

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

unkel wrote: »
    Definitely my first ever sighting of one.
    Only 645 manufactured according to Wikipedia.
    Bigger pic here if ye like.
    Aston_Martin_Lagonda_thumb_1.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

Hermy wrote: »
    Definitely my first ever sighting of one.
    Only 645 manufactured according to Wikipedia.
    Bigger pic here if ye like.
    Aston_Martin_Lagonda_thumb_1.jpg

I used to live in Luton in England (bit of a dodgy area) and there was one of these parked around the corner.. Didn't look like it was on the road at the time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

There were two of those Lagondas at the Mosney show last year, or maybe it was Trim.

Certainly an investment if you want to be different !

• Advertisement

MercMad wrote: »
    There were two of those Lagondas at the Mosney show last year, or maybe it was Trim.

Certainly an investment if you want to be different !

You'll have to buy an engineer and a mechanic to go with it though... I heard they were very very troublesome from the start...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Strolled past this in Monkstown this morning after dropping my own baby in for a checkup.

230209_Medium.jpg

Dades wrote: »
    Strolled past this in Monkstown this morning after dropping my own baby in for a checkup.

230209_Medium.jpg

Mmm and a vintage starlet too :-)

Would the be Monkstown in Cork?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

Did you notice the fancy Ford door locks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Not a very revealing picture but a pre '87 Laois registered Mercedes recovery truck spotted northbound on the R132 this morning.

It's quite rare to see pre '87 trucks in everyday use. Can anyone put a year on it?

MercedesBenz3073255CI.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Seen this on merrion road:
    dsc00084j.jpg
    dsc00082v.jpg
    dsc00001s.jpg
    Been meaning to take a pic of this for all you Volkswagen lovers, will get a front pic next time:
    dsc00002uqj.jpg
    Out of interest, what year is it? It's been parked there for as long as i can remember, don't think it has been moved recently.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

2cv wrote: »
    Would the be Monkstown in Cork?
    Nope - the Dublin (default) one! ;)

@ jozi - smashing +2 ! Good pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Not a very revealing picture but a pre '87 Laois registered Mercedes recovery truck spotted northbound on the R132 this morning.
    It's quite rare to see pre '87 trucks in everyday use. Can anyone put a year on it?
    Around 1983ish,maybe 84,certainly a rarity!

dsc00002uqj.jpg
    That passat is unusal these days too,its a november 85,YIC 994 was the last issued in carlow before the changeover in 87,incidentally theres a similar one in tralee 727ZX iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

there used to be one for sale ina garage in my village..a horrilbe pissy green type of colour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Redrocket

there used to be one for sale ina garage in my village..a horrilbe pissy green type of colour

there's that color again......... i still cant imagine it.. i even tried google images :P

Redrocket wrote: »
    there's that color again......... i still cant imagine it.. i even tried google images :P
    Rofl!!:D
    Is it something like this...?
    backfire-green3.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Around 1983ish,maybe 84,certainly a rarity!

dsc00002uqj.jpg
    That passat is unusal these days too,its a november 85,YIC 994 was the last issued in carlow before the changeover in 87,incidentally theres a similar one in tralee 727ZX iirc.

Brings back memories.
    Old Whosbetter? bought YIC 164 new in 1986.
    Fiat Foirino van.
    Passed my test in it!
    Must see if it's on cartell.
    Was pretty ropey when we we're finished with it though..

Rofl!!:D
    Is it something like this...?
    backfire-green3.JPG

Lads, just to end any confusion on this matter... This is piss green :-)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_o3TklBOxC5Y/SFTW4FCLrQI/AAAAAAAAABc/XszGKNmQlH8/s320/OpelAsconaside.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Took these pics half an hour ago, possibly could be classed as stalking!! Long time lurker in here, first post.

dsc00155d.jpg
    Love the duck tape holding the roof together :D

dsc00156d.jpg
    This ould lad owns it...
    dsc00157j.jpg
    It drives!!

aaaaaaand over to you carchaeologist :D year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Recent import too, I'm guessing!! Haha, your photos don't do it any favours anyway FearDark:P

• Advertisement

FearDark wrote: »
    aaaaaaand over to you carchaeologist :D year?
    Cant give you a year,except that its over 30 years old and its a Carlow registration.ZVs arent year specific.

Lads, just to end any confusion on this matter... This is piss green :-)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_o3TklBOxC5Y/SFTW4FCLrQI/AAAAAAAAABc/XszGKNmQlH8/s320/OpelAsconaside.jpg
    I was right!!
    OpelAsconaside.jpgbackfire-green3.JPG

:p:D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I was right!!
    OpelAsconaside.jpgbackfire-green3.JPG

:p:D:p

Wasn't their a guy who used to frequent here who had a 'piss green' Cavalier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Justjens

Max_Damage wrote: »

I hope he's not the sensitive type ;).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Limerick man, you ungrateful dyeing diseased dog :D
    Anyway, thats clearly baby-shite green!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

FearDark wrote: »
    Limerick man, you ungrateful dyeing diseased dog :D

Sorry, i've set my standards high of late since I invested a few bob in a camera rather that BOI haha:P

Max_Damage wrote: »

Well it was my first car :pac:

Cant give you a year,except that its over 30 years old and its a Carlow registration.ZVs arent year specific.

Difficult to tell, the only give away is the badges on the back. That type badge was replaced in 1982 with black metal ones. Other than that there's very little giving away the car's age. Well it's clearly a pre-79 :D:D (ZV and all..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Camarague

That grille was only on post-'76 Dyanes.

So it must be between 1976 and February 1979.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

Spotted this babe on the Clontarf ROAD

merc.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

Sweet car indeed.

I have seen it before, though it looks like it has faded a bit. What sort of condition did it look ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

280sl2.jpg

280sl.jpg

280 SL having a pitstop in Mullingar yesterday.

invest4deepvalue.com

280sl.jpg
    Always thought the roof looked a bit too tall on those cars when viewed from the side...

Thats a nice one though,great colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

There's a mk2 Granada and a Fiat X19 behind a house half way between Inch strand and Ballycotton and a white Dolomite on ZV plates outside a small garage near Inch strand. Saw two Mustangs, one blue with a black stripe in Cobh and a light blue metallic one in Castlemartyr, no photos I'm afraid my camera phones full.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...is a 93 Saab 9000 CSE (I think CSE...), in a field, today.......too new ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

I have not seen many DS's then on the way to Wicklow today (N11), I saw a silver one then 5 minutes later, I saw a black one coming in the opposite direction!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭mountain

Saw a nice pale blue cortina estate in clonakilty this morning,
    YCI 675, didnt get a chance for a photo, belong to anyone here?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ulick-magee

hi all,i am useless at guessing what cars are but i saw this in Bandon last week ,left hand drive obviously if it's an american import....

hi all,i am useless at guessing what cars are but i saw this in Bandon last week ,left hand drive obviously if it's an american import....
    Dodge charger

Nice car... Wish i could afford one....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Nice car... Wish i could afford one....

There is a garage in Mohill, Co. Leitrim that does car body repairs, they have just carried out a bare metal respray on a DS, looks stunning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Merrion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Did you wait to see if the driver climbed in the window? :D

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Merrion wrote: »

Citroen Ami. Was supposed to be the successor to the 2CV iirc. Were quite popular in France and surrounding countries

As posted on eircooled by coxy..The bare minimum to call it a car!!
    3304754702_eb9dae7850_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭8~)

Beetle based.
    Look at the sill height. He'd lose the bottom half on a speedbump.

Citroen Ami. Was supposed to be the successor to the 2CV iirc. Were quite popular in France and surrounding countries

Incorrect :D

The Ami was launched first as the Ami 6, later replaced by the Ami 8 and Ami Super. They were not supposed to replace the 2CV, but rather fill the gap in the range between the 2CV and the DS. The Ami 6 had many DS parts in it, like the roof (which explains the Anglia style rear window, purely cos the roof was too big), the steering wheel, many interior bits as well. Chassis and engine was similar to the 2CV though.

The replacement for the 2CV you're referring to was the Dyane, which obviously failed in its goal and was survived by the 2CV by many years. Interesting fact is that the Dyane was not designed to be a Citroen, but a Panhard. Citroen, who owned Panhard at the time, decided to kill the brand and take the Dyane in its range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

........ many interior bits as well.
    Interior Bits...what interior bits ??!! :p:p:p It's the nearest thing to sitting on a patio there is - except that it's moving....!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Interior Bits...what interior bits ??!! :p:p:p It's the nearest thing to sitting on a patio there is - except that it's moving....!

steering wheel, door handles, some buttons, ......
    i agree that situating it between the 2CV and the DS might have been a push, but hey it was France in the early 60s.. Not the only weird thing they did hey....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭mountain

nice cortina, in average condition in Innishannon, Cork this morning.

Original irish plates, looks grubby, like its used regularly.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement