Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

While on the subject of strange numbers on Golfs,there used to be a blue MK2 with the reg AIN2 which was originally a 1962 reg. Last time i saw it it was on its side in a scrappy though,and that was awhile ago too.There was a Galant with the reg 2AIN around at the same time.

AIN1 was a ford fiesta,another plate transfer.No idea what happened to that one though.

Onkle wrote: »
    02042009024.jpg

Absolutely mint. Outside the Opel Main Dealer in Clondalkin Village. Looked totally original
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Opel/Kadett/1.2-S-,O/200915192408133/advert
    Yours for 5grand...
    no-image-large.gif

no-image-large.gif

no-image-large.gif
    Wonder what the story behind it is? Tis fair clean!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭DaveCol

otis wrote: »
    GTI 2 was indeed on a Golf, a silver Mark 1 GTI which lay abandoned with a seized engine on the side of the street in Nenagh, Co Tipp up until about mid 1996.

Having tracked down the owner at the time I tried to buy it on numerous occasions only to be flatly refused each time. In the end I just gave up.

I often wonder what ever became of it.

I could be wrong, but was GTI 205 on a Peugeot 205 GTI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 iei044775

Not sure if these have been posted on this thread before but they are in a prominent place in Donegal Town for a while now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭SAABMAN

Begs the question.
    Is any mainstream car manufacturer producing cars in brown now? I don't mean "gold" or "beige", just plain brown.
    It was very common in the 70s and 80s.
    On the other hand, I remember there was a Ford bright orange colour then as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Opel/Kadett/1.2-S-,O/200915192408133/advert
    Yours for 5grand...
    no-image-large.gif

no-image-large.gif

no-image-large.gif

No idea. I was on my way to the pub out jogging when I spotted it outside an Opel main dealer. Looked mint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭SAABMAN

When did they stop making those tyres?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Camarague

SAABMAN wrote: »
    Begs the question.
    Is any mainstream car manufacturer producing cars in brown now? I don't mean "gold" or "beige", just plain brown.
    It was very common in the 70s and 80s.
    On the other hand, I remember there was a Ford bright orange colour then as well

Mercedes produces the new S-class in brown, slightly darker shade than these 12s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭Philush

saw this today,parked in the same spot for years, always thought it was a shame just to see it rotting away

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

Philush wrote: »
    saw this today,parked in the same spot for years, always thought it was a shame just to see it rotting away

Such a shame to see such a glorious, and rare original Irish car in that state. Where is it located? Would anyone here be interested in restoring it?

• Advertisement

its in cork, just outside the city,shame alright been there for years so i dunno what kinda of state its truely in, could be a case of the paint solely holding it together, im sure thered be some enthusiast out there tho with the money to do a job on it,slightly out of my league tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

What is it? Looks expensive, Rolls Royce?

i presume its an old rolls, cicra 1958? i dunno, im open to correction, dont no too much bout those cars. didnt take too good a look at it cos its kinda half in someones backyard so didnt want to be drawing attention to myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Its a Daimler Limousine. Dont know the proper name but still plenty of them out there being used for weddings. Huge car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

Its a Daimler Limousine. Dont know the proper name but still plenty of them out there being used for weddings. Huge car

DS420.

'70 Dublin reg.

Indeed it is..the banger boys love em
    IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Theres still a huge amount of them about,though irish ones are scarce,there was one in tralee up until a few years back reg IZX1.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DarenO

no-image-large.gif

The story behind it is, it was originally sold by Bolands and after a few owners and regular servicing done at Bolands they bought the car back a number of years ago, it was put into storage in Carlow and is now going into their showroom, only thing i didn't know was they'd put it up for sale.

Darren

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

Philush wrote: »
    its in cork, just outside the city,shame alright been there for years so i dunno what kinda of state its truely in, could be a case of the paint solely holding it together, im sure thered be some enthusiast out there tho with the money to do a job on it,slightly out of my league tho.

Where bouts in Cork? Down in the city for the week so might have a look!

tis around the blackpool area. gimmie pm if ya wanna see it, would prefer not to be giving out directions on the net, its not the easiest to steal, nor would i suggest anyone here would, but you no what i mean, im just that way enclined from the job!but yeah, if ya wanna see it pm me n we'll sort summat. if only twas an old v dub, 2 spanners and a can of wd40 n you can take em apart!haha

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Sorry no photo. Couldn't stop either as I wasn't in charge of the controls...

Saw a Volvo 66 Estate just south of Enniscorthy on Wednesday. :eek: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

saw a '68 Camero today on the Tivoli Dual carraigeway.
    Was lovely but strange thing was, it was RHD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

Spotted this on Wednesday just outside Cork City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Spotted the following oldies parked up at Toughers between Naas and Newbridge on Fri. afternoon

ClassicOldVehicles025.jpg
    ClassicOldVehicles026.jpg
    ClassicOldVehicles027.jpg
    ClassicOldVehicles028.jpg
    ClassicOldVehicles029.jpg
    ClassicOldVehicles030.jpg
    ClassicOldVehicles031.jpg
    ClassicOldVehicles032.jpg
    ClassicOldVehicles033.jpg
    ClassicOldVehicles034.jpg
    ClassicOldVehicles035.jpg
    ClassicOldVehicles036.jpg
    ClassicOldVehicles037.jpg
    ClassicOldVehicles038.jpg
    ClassicOldVehicles039.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I let a 74-KY-XXX Capri overtake me after Newlands Cross on the N7 heading out of town.

It was very orange. :D

iei044775 wrote: »
    Not sure if these have been posted on this thread before but they are in a prominent place in Donegal Town for a while now.

76808.jpg
    Good spot..didnt think there was any left!!

Gold star for the first to guess what this is...:D
    First one ive ever seen,and just as quirky as iv read about.
    Image953.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Just guessing but is a it a dolomite by pickford ? obviously a dolomite sprint under the disguise

biggus wrote: »
    Just guessing but is a it a dolomite by pickford ? obviously a dolomite sprint under the disguise
    Not buy pickford but nearly there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

Vanden Plas?

• Advertisement

Vanden Plas?
    Nope..there was only 38 of these made apparently.

Tickford !

Tickford !
    Nope..
    In February 1976, £9445 was the price of one of these- in comparison, a Dolomite Sprint cost £3283 and the Jaguar XJ5.3 cost £7496.

lagonda or aston martin dolomite by david brown ?

lagonda or aston martin dolomite by david brown ?
    Neither,twas by a small company..a guy called bob jankel set it up.

ok you win couldn't name it without the net ... by the panther guy

• Advertisement

ok you win couldn't name it without the net ... by the panther guy
    Thought it would be googled alright..half a star for you so!:)
    Its a Panther Rio.Twas very much like a mini silver shadow.

Panther Westwinds had been set-up by fashion designer Bob Jankel to produce expensive and bespoke cars for the customer that wanted something entirely different. His previous products included the (Jaguar-esque)J72 and (Ferrari-esque) FF, which were both very fast - because they were based on Jaguar underpinnings - and very expensive. This was obviously a lucrative market to be in when times were good, but following the 1973 energy crisis, demand for such profligate cars began to melt away like snow in spring.
    Ever one to produce an answer to a question no-one had asked, Jankel began working on a car that would appeal to the Rolls-Royce owner looking to trade down to something more economical, without resorting to purchasing anything so vulgar as a Mercedes-Benz, whilst losing nothing in terms of luxury or build quality. Casting around for suitable donor cars, Jankel hit upon the idea of building a car based on the Triumph dolomite, which thanks to its combination of advanced engines and upright driving position, would offer a unique blend of modern and traditional.
    The Panther Rio was the result, and was launched in September 1975. According to the original press release, "The Rio combines characteristics combined in no other single car - the very highest level of luxury, appointments and smooth quietness with superb handling, a 115mph maximum speed, 0-60mph acceleration in 8.7 seconds, the opulence of Connolly leather, deep pile carpeting and burr walnut in the finest limousine traditions with the fuel economy and manoeuvrability of a compact family saloon; Panther coachbuilt quality and safety engineering with total functionalism; hand-crafted exclusivity without ostentation." The Rio was offered in two forms, the 1850 version was the "base" model and the 2-Litre 16-valve version (Dolomite Sprint) called the Rio Especial.
    Panther was certainly upbeat about the car's chances and talked in terms of a pre-order of 100 cars from H.R.Owen. This would have been a sweet deal, which would have seen the Rio offered for sale amongst some very exclusive machinery indeed.
    However, the 100 car deal never materialised and the Rio sold in dribs and drabs, which would be expected for a car that no matter how luxurious and exclusive it was, remained little more materially than a restyled Triumph Dolomite. The price was also eye-watering: In February 1976, £9445 was the price for the Rio Especial, which was quite simply over the top - in comparison, a Dolomite Sprint cost £3283 and the Jaguar XJ5.3 cost £7496. What Car? drove the car - an ex-H.R.Owen demonstrator, no less - in 1980 and remarked that the craftsmaship was very evident when you looked at the interior of the car. The only downside was that the new thicker, fatter seats resulted in a more cramped interior than the car it was based on...
    The result was inevitable - Panther sold just 38 Rios, and learnt their lesson: their next small saloon, launched in 1980 for a more realistic £7500, was a plushly retrimmed and turbocharged Vauxhall Chevette HS, which dispensed with the Rio's bespoke aluminium bodywork in favour of a mild bodykit. Other than that, Jankel focused on what he knew best: retro-styled sports cars, such as the Vauxhall-based Lima, and upmarket exotica, such as the Panther Six.
    Ref; http://www.aronline.co.uk/index.htm?pantherriof.htm

Where's the one in your picture ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Vanden Plas?
    it does look like something that could have been, would probably have been a
    better buy than the Allegro. Incidentally Robert Jankel also designed the Hillman Hunter......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭okistag

Thought it would be googled alright..half a star for you so!:)
    Its a Panther Rio.Twas very much like a mini silver shadow.

Panther Westwinds had been set-up by fashion designer Bob Jankel to produce expensive and bespoke cars for the customer that wanted something entirely different. His previous products included the (Jaguar-esque)J72 and (Ferrari-esque) FF, which were both very fast - because they were based on Jaguar underpinnings - and very expensive. This was obviously a lucrative market to be in when times were good, but following the 1973 energy crisis, demand for such profligate cars began to melt away like snow in spring.
    Ever one to produce an answer to a question no-one had asked, Jankel began working on a car that would appeal to the Rolls-Royce owner looking to trade down to something more economical, without resorting to purchasing anything so vulgar as a Mercedes-Benz, whilst losing nothing in terms of luxury or build quality. Casting around for suitable donor cars, Jankel hit upon the idea of building a car based on the Triumph dolomite, which thanks to its combination of advanced engines and upright driving position, would offer a unique blend of modern and traditional.
    The Panther Rio was the result, and was launched in September 1975. According to the original press release, "The Rio combines characteristics combined in no other single car - the very highest level of luxury, appointments and smooth quietness with superb handling, a 115mph maximum speed, 0-60mph acceleration in 8.7 seconds, the opulence of Connolly leather, deep pile carpeting and burr walnut in the finest limousine traditions with the fuel economy and manoeuvrability of a compact family saloon; Panther coachbuilt quality and safety engineering with total functionalism; hand-crafted exclusivity without ostentation." The Rio was offered in two forms, the 1850 version was the "base" model and the 2-Litre 16-valve version (Dolomite Sprint) called the Rio Especial.
    Panther was certainly upbeat about the car's chances and talked in terms of a pre-order of 100 cars from H.R.Owen. This would have been a sweet deal, which would have seen the Rio offered for sale amongst some very exclusive machinery indeed.
    However, the 100 car deal never materialised and the Rio sold in dribs and drabs, which would be expected for a car that no matter how luxurious and exclusive it was, remained little more materially than a restyled Triumph Dolomite. The price was also eye-watering: In February 1976, £9445 was the price for the Rio Especial, which was quite simply over the top - in comparison, a Dolomite Sprint cost £3283 and the Jaguar XJ5.3 cost £7496. What Car? drove the car - an ex-H.R.Owen demonstrator, no less - in 1980 and remarked that the craftsmaship was very evident when you looked at the interior of the car. The only downside was that the new thicker, fatter seats resulted in a more cramped interior than the car it was based on...
    The result was inevitable - Panther sold just 38 Rios, and learnt their lesson: their next small saloon, launched in 1980 for a more realistic £7500, was a plushly retrimmed and turbocharged Vauxhall Chevette HS, which dispensed with the Rio's bespoke aluminium bodywork in favour of a mild bodykit. Other than that, Jankel focused on what he knew best: retro-styled sports cars, such as the Vauxhall-based Lima, and upmarket exotica, such as the Panther Six.
    Ref; http://www.aronline.co.uk/index.htm?pantherriof.htm

I saw one in Terenure show last year Black in colour will post a picture later.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Renotec

Good spot..didnt think there was any left!!

Missed these! I'm slipping. The beauty on the left looks like a TS because of the seats - but rims are wrong and the side panel trim could have been an add on. As for the one on the right I can't tell. Would love to see more pic's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

okistag wrote: »
    I saw one in Terenure show last year Black in colour will post a picture later.

Also saw A Panter Rio at the Mosney show last June. Sure it must have been the same car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Today I saw a sh1tload of classics and took lots of pictures :D

3433993557_eee73d6f2a.jpg

I'm not sure what a '00 Lambo was doing in the middle of all these but it sure did draw a crowd!

more here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Saw 4 x 4CV's in Colmar, France.

3435531130_9546253b0a.jpg

Gold star for the first to guess what this is...:D
    First one ive ever seen,and just as quirky as iv read about.
    Image953.jpg

Heres the one that was at Mosney / Terenure last year

carchaeologist the name was on tip of my tongue honestly, as I have lots of books on Triumph and other Triumph based vehicles lol but Noble kept coming to mind :rolleyes:

DSC_0253.jpg

DSC_0252.jpg

DSC_0251.jpg

I know it is not a classic yet, but I have not seen one of these in a while and used to own one back in 1988. Saw this one passing my house today. Super yoke

DSC_8745.jpg

A very good friend of mine is selling this beauty, she is a Rover P5 Coupe 3.5 V8 and is as good as the pictures suggest. Private pm me if you want contact details. He was over at my house and gave her a clean up.
    I dont have one of engine bay, but as good as the rest of the car.

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0078b.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,525 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Ballpark asking price?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

If it's as good as it looks with mileage under 100,000 it's worth around 3500 to 4000. I was offered an absolute minter three weeks ago in the UK with only 28k miles from new with full history and never restored for 4k sterling. There's another one on donedeal.ie asking 3500, more like 2000-2500 will buy it. Nice cars though but probably the heaviest on fuel i've ever had.

junkyard wrote: »
    If it's as good as it looks with mileage under 100,000 it's worth around 3500 to 4000. I was offered an absolute minter three weeks ago in the UK with only 28k miles from new with full history and never restored for 4k sterling. There's another one on donedeal.ie asking 3500, more like 2000-2500 will buy it. Nice cars though but probably the heaviest on fuel i've ever had.

Hi Junkyard, I dont know what he is looking for it to be honest scared to ask as I mightbe tempted my self. just not enough room.
    I do know there is a big difference between P5 / P5 Coupe the 3.0 lt and 3.5 V8.
    I do know one thing it's certainly not a 3-4 grand car and I would grab it myself if it was.

esel wrote: »
    ^ Ballpark asking price?

I really dont know is the answer if you pm me, i will give you his number etc and chat directly with him would be best.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement