Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

i wouldnt be a fan of putting modern engines in older cars like that it is like a woman with a boob job never looks or feels right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Dublin 4 seems to be the new place to see old cars that were once common. This morning I saw a particularly well looked after '91 Opel Vectra A parked outside the Mespil Hotel, a '91 Volvo 940 GLE saloon and an old KP 70 Starlet both parked on Pembroke Road amongst others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

MercedesBenz280SEZV24746.jpg

VWBeetle907BRI.jpg

MercedesBenz230CSI6870.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Paris - Some more cars I spotted. Missed out on a Chevrolet Impala convertible, Peugeot 204, ex-Paris Bus with rear entry, Metros, W-123 series (a few), Renault 5 mk1, 70s Saviem Lorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Not sure if this has been posted before. Spotted at the weekend.

and a few I saw today. Missed out on a Renault 4, 2 x 309s, and a Simca 1301.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

France is full of old cars, many of which are still in everyday use. Fair play to them I say for not 'keeping up with the Jones'', unlike it shallow twats that live in this country.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

Saw these two just outside Cork City earlier today.
    The first one was an immaculate 68 C reg Mini estate. She was in perfect condition and I got up close to it later that night when it was parked and there wasn't one spot of rust on it.
    Then, just down the road I saw this yoke at the lights on a trailer. I don't have a clue what it is but it was tiny.

and I forgot to include these 3, the first is LHD so extremely rare, included the 1998 car as it was a concept car but it differs from its publicity pictures so there may have been two built. If France is full of old cars, then Im afraid that Paris isnt..........:mad: I have yet to find a DS or Renault Dauphine..... and the 4th picture is motor-related, its the family tomb of the Panhard family and according to the map they created the Panhard et Lavassor company

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

A Merc in Phibsboro...

Mercedes_280_Medium.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

^ I spotted that Merc ages ago in a Lidl car park! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Seen this morning in Blackrock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

Hermy wrote: »
    A Merc in Phibsboro...

Mercedes_280_Medium.jpg

.............I saw an identical one yesterday on the old N1 at Donabate.Same colour original Dublin reg, but not sure if it was the same car !

Max_Damage wrote: »
    ^ I spotted that Merc ages ago in a Lidl car park! :D
    Yeah, but did ya take a pic?:rolleyes::p

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yeah, but the image got messed up on Photobucket for some reason.

• Advertisement

and here is a few more I saw

and this was a Bugatti show which was closed to the public, but I managed to take a few pics. Missing from the line up were postwar type 101 and the Type 31 Napoleon

more...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

There was a customer in where i work yesterday with a black over cream 1972 Mercedes W114 coupe, a converted to RHD US import fitted with european spec headlights and a W124 2.5 diesel, its his daily driver.

and more. I was surprised to see a load of Renault 4s in the last 2 days, about 40 in total, more than I have seen in the last 10 years. The Citroen H van is still in use as a delivery van. The DS was the only one I saw in the entire city :o , and the Bugatti collection numbered about 50, including some unrestored early single seater models. Finding 4 x Peugeot 104's in a week within 2 miles of each other was something.......:)

• Advertisement

Sure when I was in France last year, I managed to see two Austin Metro's within 10 minutes of each other. You'd be lucky to see one a year here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Camarague

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Sure when I was in France last year, I managed to see two Austin Metro's within 10 minutes of each other. You'd be lucky to see one a year here!

Lucky?

Two I spotted today...

This Jensen Healey was in Leinster Road...
    Picture_007_Medium.jpg
    What is a Jensen Healey?
    Is it a hybrid of the Jensen [Interceptor] and [Austin] Healey marques?

And the Volvo was spotted in North Strand...
    Picture_008_Medium.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

Two I spotted today...

Picture_007_Medium.jpg
    What is a Jensen Healey?

Picture_008_Medium.jpg

The Volvo would have been on its way to Fingal, as it was on display there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Was in Berlin for the marathon at the weekend and spotted the following all within a couple of streets around where I was staying in the Mitte district.....

The "H" suffix on some of the plates indictaes "historical" status for the car i.e. somewhat equivalent to our ZV classification

DSC_0827.jpg
    DSC_0826.jpg
    DSC_0780.jpg
    DSC_0779.jpg
    DSC_0778.jpg
    DSC_0777.jpg
    DSC_0762.jpg
    DSC_0761.jpg
    DSC_0825.jpg
    DSC_0824.jpg
    DSC_0823.jpg

Really like that Rekord.
    DSC_0778.jpg

I saw an old two seater heading for the ferry this evening.
    It's reg was HAV 444. Sorry I didn't get a pic.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Nice pics jrar! I was in Nijmegen in Holland last week,saw loads of nice old stuff driving around,made it by buisiness to go out early friday morning with my camera to take pics,not a thing to be seen,as soon as i go out later in the afternoon,i spot a few more..doh.Typical.
    At least the beer was good.:p

I like the Wartberg!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭manta mad

oohhh i like the reckord :)

speaking off ,,,,, where have all the reckords gone ?

cant find an irish one anywhere, only know off one in wexford !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

That S-Class is RHD - wonder where it's originally from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bostoncommon

the merc is a rhd. nice car..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

Two I spotted today...

What is a Jensen Healey?

The Jensen Healey was a fibreglass body with an underdeveloped Lotus engine whos unreliability contributed to Jensen's demise. The Interceptor was a steel bodied supercar with a Chrysler V8 so nothing in common between the two apart from manufacturer. The JH was named as such because Donald Healey was Jensen chairman at that time and his name had credibility. They're not a terrible car but have suffered from low values resulting in lots of bodged examples. A good one is probably a decent car enough now and rare enough to be different.

I saw that P1800 in Ringsend about a year ago. At that time it sounded like it needed its carbs adjusted but a nice car - great colour.

Saw a white Silver shadow Driving through Killarney around 5pm this eve on an OAI XXX plate,nice to see an irish shadow.

245 wrote: »
    The Jensen Healey was a fibreglass body with an underdeveloped Lotus engine whos unreliability contributed to Jensen's demise. The Interceptor was a steel bodied supercar with a Chrysler V8 so nothing in common between the two apart from manufacturer. .

The Jensen Healey had a steel body

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

Blue850 wrote: »
    The Jensen Healey had a steel body

I confused it with the CV8. So, unfortunately, its got tendency to rust in common with the Interceptor (and the Pressed Steel/Jensen built Volvo P1800)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Didn't get a pic but ZV9243 went past me earlier. Total turn on!

Vanden Plas Princess in Aherns garage in Castleisland this morning,apologies for crappy dust filled mobile camera pics..:o
    Princess.jpg

Image001.jpg

Reg says February 1965,car was in poor enough condition, it looked like it had been just been dragged from wherever it was parked..

As all the other cars they have had,this one has been not taxed for years too.

Those German cars are nice, but why are they all on Euro-plates? they are gross......

where are they getting all these Irish reg cars from? They had an Lincoln MkIV not so long ago...........:confused: There are also a few Irish reg Austin Princess Limousines around.

Heres a few I saw recently.

G Luxel wrote: »
    where are they getting all these Irish reg cars from? They had an Lincoln MkIV not so long ago..........
    A private collection apparantly,there was a rover P6,Lotus Eclat and a big Merc in the last 6 mths too.They all seem to have sold,though none of them were in particularly good shape.

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »
    Didn't get a pic but ZV9243 went past me earlier. Total turn on!
    nice car. import + only 1 Irish owner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

lovely with a dirty nissan diesel in it

Saw a brown Datsun 240 or 260Z today between Ballinasloe and Athlone, towing a a caravan! also a really nice silver Merc SLC *** NZE reg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

G Luxel wrote: »
    Those German cars are nice, but why are they all on Euro-plates? they are gross......

German classic cars dont carry old style registrations or plates, they are issued with modern style regs/plates....which are officially issued, so you cant fit old style plates even if you wanted too.

Silvera wrote: »
    German classic cars dont carry old style registrations or plates, they are issued with modern style regs/plates....which are officially issued, so you cant fit old style plates even if you wanted too.
    Vote no to lisbon....lol...

• Advertisement

Not sure if this one has been posted before...
    Picture_Medium_1.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

kev1.3s wrote: »
    lovely with a dirty nissan diesel in it
    out of an auld patrol..

Wouldn't be a first though, this one has a 6 litre TD boat engine
    1246362_2.jpg

http://www.petrol-head.com/ferrari/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Blue850 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be a first though, this one has a 6 litre TD boat engine
    1246362_2.jpg

http://www.petrol-head.com/ferrari/

Enzo must be turning in his grave :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I just saw (no pic) a modern looking Land Rover Defender on 70 D xxx plates. Presumably a new body on a 1970 chassis?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement