Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...wow, that 'spoiler' thing is cool :) - never used it before !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Blue850 wrote: »
    windscreen and wipers off a Midget

Hmmm, agree with that as a Midget has a flat screen and a MGB hasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Gee, how wrong was I!

OP, I reckon you caved in too early. I wanted to see what other weird suggestions were going to be made. It is however a good idea for a thread - ID the car from a picture of the engine bay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Is that a dynamo below the alternator then?

Slidey wrote: »
    Is that a dynamo below the alternator then?

Nope !

Here's the layout, afaik..........

It's an air pump, and air is taken in through the axial fan on the pump, through the yellow line, around the engine, over the exhaust manifold, where it's controlled by a diaphragm valve.

The diaphragm valve is operated by vacuum, fed from the distributor, via a series of convoluted piping, including a spark arrestor (!) This is the green line.

The crankcase breather is also fitted plumbed into the exhaust manifold.

What I think happens is, that at certain rpm, dictated by vacuum level, the diaphragm valve is opened, and allows the pumped air to be fed directly into the exhaust manifold.

What this does - and this is a real John Gormley idea - is that it dilutes the CO2 level in the exhaust pipe.............which makes the exhaust fumes at the back of the car.......

fake.....'clean' ! Just to pass a 'smog test' ! Love it ! All that engineering, to cure a symptom, as they couldn't build a 'lean burn' engine in the first place !

The car is full of other notable oddities, too. It has 2 front chassis rails, piggy-backed over the other (US crash spec).......side impact bars, with extra 'keepers' on the B pillar they sit into, when you close the doors........an extra silencer, after the 'normal' back one, plumbed to the opposite side of the car...........I'm sure there's more, but we'll see when it's back in daylight.........

And the great thing about why this car was unused originally, after coming back from Canada: when imported, there was no unleaded available in this country, and they couldn't drive it, because.....it has a catalytic convertor !!

OMG ! :D

P.S. Oh, and yes, you do have to remove the alternator to get at the front plug !!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

galwaytt wrote: »
    What this does - and this is a real John Gormley idea - is that it dilutes the CO2 level in the exhaust pipe.............which makes the exhaust fumes at the back of the car.......

fake.....'clean' ! Just to pass a 'smog test' ! Love it ! All that engineering, to cure a symptom, as they couldn't build a 'lean burn' engine in the first place !

That's mad! How did they get away with this? :D
    And I wonder how much power all this air pump gubbins takes away from the engine?

Those three wipers really put me off course - more madness from BL...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

I had a lot of that rubbish on my 79 Chevy. It's the california emmisions package ....it's in the shed now.
    My guess is the US spec Mini Moke built under licence by Hummer :) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

This is a vw beetle, as you all know, that was at my local community hall. It was a mother coming to a childs playgroup. Could not find out who owned it though:(The pic is not that good, as I only had my phone camera with me. Indicators looks a bit strange as does the colour scheme. The interior was a nasty beige colour too:rolleyes:Never seen it here before.

vw001.jpg

vw002.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

galwaytt wrote: »
    carcheologist actually got it early on, but talked himself out of it.......but Blue 850 is spot on.....well, it's a Canadian MGB, so close enough
    Damn,it all added up,except i was thrown by the lack of a grille just ahead of the screen,i was trying to find a pic to match it but failed. Certainly an unusual motor,can we have some pics of it without closeups!? :D
    european-mgb-mk2-wipers.JPG

What i wanna know is what does the MUMC parking sticker mean on the front screen on the nearside.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

shagman wrote: »
    I had a lot of that rubbish on my 79 Chevy. It's the california emmisions package ....it's in the shed now.
    My guess is the US spec Mini Moke built under licence by Hummer :) .

79 Chevy what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    79 Chevy what?

He has a Chevy Dayvan if I recall correctly.

Not a classic but it made me laugh!! Hardcore!!
    d4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

wouldnt be great on thespeed ramps i saw old modded civics with more ground clearance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

d4.jpg

there is a toyota hiace minibus with this bodykit on it in bray!

A '79 Chevy G30 van with a cobra motorhomes camper conversion to be precise. Dayvans just have seats / bed. Mines a legit campervan. But soon to be a 70's style custom van (NO not like the one above, the Japanese are on their own with that trend). New engine (rebuilt 350) going in over easter along with headers, sidepipes, teardrop moon windows,wheel arch flares over the existing A-team style western cyclone wheels, chin spoiler, bonnet scoop, running boards body work and then when thats all done paint. And the interior well thats another story.....
    See engine crane thread for some photos. There will be more.
    I'm working on putting windows in the engine cover at the moment. See this thread..
    http://www.vannin.com/threads/ubbthreads.php/topics/370402/1.html

kev1.3s wrote: »
    there is a toyota hiace minibus with this bodykit on it in bray!

Can you put me in touch with the owner? Not many custom van fans over here. There's a nice Chevy Astro in Bray too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭tc20

Can you put me in touch with the owner?

PM sent

What i wanna know is what does the MUMC parking sticker mean on the front screen on the nearside.:p

I was hoping some clever googling might get that: nothing to do with MUFC though ! Ha ! It's a parking disc for a hospital in Canada iirc......

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Can you put me in touch with the owner? Not many custom van fans over here. There's a nice Chevy Astro in Bray too.

This one........?

..'Jeans' Beetle, in the Athenry parade, last week, c/w Denim seats !

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Can you put me in touch with the owner? QUOTE]

That Hiace lives down the road from me.........its like the grey one above...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

108789.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭mountain

mazda in clonakilty today, looking a little "tired"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

d4.jpg

are you going to buy it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

DubMedic wrote: »
    108789.jpg

you would think that with a nice motor like that, the owner would at least put set of vintage style plates on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

A '79 Chevy G30 van with a cobra motorhomes camper conversion to be precise. Dayvans just have seats / bed. Mines a legit campervan. But soon to be a 70's style custom van (NO not like the one above, the Japanese are on their own with that trend). New engine (rebuilt 350) going in over easter along with headers, sidepipes, teardrop moon windows,wheel arch flares over the existing A-team style western cyclone wheels, chin spoiler, bonnet scoop, running boards body work and then when thats all done paint. And the interior well thats another story.....
    See engine crane thread for some photos. There will be more.
    I'm working on putting windows in the engine cover at the moment. See this thread..
    http://www.vannin.com/threads/ubbthreads.php/topics/370402/1.html

Any exterior pics of your own Shaggy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

CamperMan wrote: »
    you would think that with a nice motor like that, the owner would at least put set of vintage style plates on

How about an Irish one,
    6qjvah.jpg

^ Shes a beaut! Anyone know how many Shadows were originally sold here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭1948Wolseley

Irish plates make it seem classier, somehow. Gorgeous colour, too.

• Advertisement

Its amazing how some thing so expensive and well built as the Shadow can end up like this.

ROLLSROYCESILVERSHADOW.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

PanhardPL wrote: »
    How about an Irish one,
    6qjvah.jpg

Thats your own, isn't Panhard?? She looks absolutely spotless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭okistag

TCOC Technical evening and Sundy Meeting at Silver Tassie this morning, a couple of photos.
    DSC_3099.jpg
    DSC_3100.jpg
    DSC_3104.jpg
    DSC_3106.jpg
    DSC_3120.jpg
    DSC_3095.jpg
    DSC_3070.jpg
    DSC_3071.jpg
    DSC_3078.jpg
    DSC_3030.jpg

DSC_3033.jpg
    DSC_3036.jpg
    DSC_3039.jpg
    DSC_3063.jpg
    at gerry garage
    jackgerryleightecheve20.jpg
    jackgerryleightecheve21.jpg
    jackgerryleightecheve3.jpg
    jackgerryleightecheve38.jpg
    This young man is rebuilding this dolomite and nearly complete !!
    jackgerryleightecheve40.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Some photos from a road run in Loughrea today
    loughrea001.jpg

loughrea002.jpg

loughrea003.jpg

loughrea004.jpg

loughrea005.jpg

loughrea006.jpg

loughrea007.jpg

loughrea008.jpg

loughrea009.jpg

loughrea011.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

one more
    loughrea010.jpg

Some lovely motors there blue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭gfwd

This young man is rebuilding this dolomite and nearly complete !!
    jackgerryleightecheve40.jpg

He's done a great job on the replica of Ken Nolan. Looks just like the real thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Some real beauties there. Always had a hankering after a nice TR6 or maybe even a Stag as a second choice. Reminds me, I saw a nice white Stag today (Sunday) near Abbeyleix. Sweet.

sogood wrote: »
    Some real beauties there. Always had a hankering after a nice TR6 or maybe even a Stag as a second choice. Reminds me, I saw a nice white Stag today (Sunday) near Abbeyleix. Sweet.

could of been the white one in my photos from the meeting today the fellow drove up to the meeting from Cork!!

• Advertisement

gfwd wrote: »
    He's done a great job on the replica of Ken Nolan. Looks just like the real thing.

Yes I must admit, he did do a great job on ken. :) lol

Never seem to see a Triumph Acclaim at any of those shows! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

must get a pic of me mates car. He has some triumph thing that he rebuilt. Its lovely. 2 seater yoke. Ill find out the model later.

bd5a7a89bdf7a5e6cf7cef1799cc8f3.jpg

ad61ce040f715261bf9ff0be9ed29e0.jpg

The Euroband on the black plates looks a bit odd me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Max_Damage wrote: »
    The Euroband on the black plates looks a bit odd me thinks.
    Yeah - why would anyone do that? :confused:

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    No idea,i really like the styling on the rear end of those Mk1s though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭DaveCol

Anglia spotted on Georges St, Dun Laoghaire at lunchtime yesterday. Sounded nice too!

anglia.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

esel wrote: »

The fopnt is a bit suspect too...don't these look better?

htrxjp.jpg

£36 a pair these ones...the latest ones I got were only £31 (cant findpicture but they are the same.

• Advertisement

Where did you get those made Corky?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement