Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Ammo? - 22wmr

Options
  • 16-05-2005 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

I have a brno/cz 452-2e-zkm (.22 wmr) rifle and was wondering what to use in it

i think the ammo at my local dealer is winchester and he has standard 22wmr and the hmr (ballistic tip) ive been told that the hmr will travel a good bit further is this true and are there any down sides to using it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Erm......................
    Are you sure you're looking at the correct stuff :confused:

The only HMR I know of is Hornady Magnum Rimfire, which is .17 calibre, and completely unsuitable for your .22WMR chambered rifle.

Compare (images from http://ammoguide.com)-
    54g7fa
    54g7s1

About the only thing they have (almost) in common is the case length.

My apologies if there is such a thing as a .22HMR that will chamber and fire in a .22WMR rifle, but I've never heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

im guessing im wrong since im pretty new on the scene what i meant is the pointed ballistic tip (little red plasstic tip) as opossed to the standard rounded head bullet

Ah, fair enough, you had me wondering there :D

Possibly your dealer was showing you cartridges with Hornady bullets in them, like this:22241_rif_bul_22-40_VMAX_BT.jpg
    More info here.

They are 'better' than plain jane hollow points (faster, more stable in flight, better expansion, etc), but at a price! These things aren't cheap :eek:
    myself wrote:
    About the only thing they have (almost) in common is the case length.
    Actually, further research and a closer look at those diagrams reveal that the .17HMR is a necked down .22WMR, so it probably WOULD chamber and fire in a .22WMR. Accuracy would be a disaster though, and it wouldn't do your barrel and chamber any good either :D

yea they were something like that they're twice the price but its only €18 for 50rounds not the end of the world and if they're that much better i dont mind paying

just wondering are there any downsides to them the standard ones look like they'd do more damage

just wondering are there any downsides to them the standard ones look like they'd do more damage
    Apart from the price difference, I can't think of any downside to them.
    They're inherently more accurate, and pack a decent punch out to longer ranges than regular bullets.

If you can live with the few extra bob involved, I'd say go for it.

• Advertisement

Well my dad's tellin me otherwise and the gun dealer im getting the gun from in waterford doesnt think to much of them i dont think ill need the extra range that much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Bulls_Eye

I use the remington vmax and I find them good, I dont think they are an awful lot more accurate than the hollow points maybe a bit at longer range like a 130 yards but they are definately much better for shooting rabbits crows and magpies. They really tear them up much more than the hollow points. But on larger things like fox i find the 40g hollowpoints better.

ok thanks i think ill just stick with the standard bullets then

Advertisement