Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good news for ESAT costumers

• 16-05-2005 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I Have a smile on my face, i have just been on the phone to a csr Paula at BT and she informed me that you will not be charged for going over the cap on esat, in fact aslong as you dont basically take the Piss by going over the cap every month by a huge amount there will be no problem.

However if you do get repermanded for going over the cap you will not get charged the 3c rate, instead they disconnect your sevice untill the end of the month and even better they will contact you to inform you to slow down before they do that.

Am i the only one who has been told this and is this CSR Paula away with the fairies? Or is it for real, has anyone had any confirmation of this? Im upgrading to the 2mb service for 47 a month so maybe she was sweetening me up all the same.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I have never been told this, but I have very little contract with EsatBT phone monkeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

this is good news because ive been going a bit over the top the last couple of weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

Seems like these guys may have a heart afterall, especially when you consider the damage, 30euro per gigabyte would crippel anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

To paraphrase William Goldman: in Esat, nobody knows anything.

I've tried to get my billing sorted out too many times to trust what anybody on Esat's customer help says. I would strongly advise you not to go over your cap unless you don't mind a nasty surprise in the mail (assuming they haven't messed up YOUR billing too!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Wooo damn nice news.. I dl'ed 80gb last month so its damn good news :D

Thx 4 that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

So this is since they changed to BT, maybe they have been told to ease things a little on the customers incase they decide to move provider.

KJT. wooooh, what do you be downloading.

I usually dont dl much... but then every 2/3months I rediscover bittorrent lol.
    I got all the south part full dvds... so seasons 1-9 x 3discs each x 4.6gb = scary

lol 124.2Gb... and I didnt even get em all but just checked one day and was like ****... 80gb time to stop.

I've only dled 4Gb this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭flop

neon_glows wrote:
    Hello all,

I Have a smile on my face, i have just been on the phone to a csr Paula at BT and she informed me that you will not be charged for going over the cap on esat, in fact aslong as you dont basically take the Piss by going over the cap every month by a huge amount there will be no problem.

However if you do get repermanded for going over the cap you will not get charged the 3c rate, instead they disconnect your sevice untill the end of the month and even better they will contact you to inform you to slow down before they do that.

Am i the only one who has been told this and is this CSR Paula away with the fairies? Or is it for real, has anyone had any confirmation of this? Im upgrading to the 2mb service for 47 a month so maybe she was sweetening me up all the same.

With a service like this, why would anyone want to stay with the likes of UTV?

number is 1904 i think, can u guys go make some enquirys for us and see if the csr in esat was a way with the fairies when i rang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Hahahahahahaha,
    another load of Esat bullsh*t, They never know when to give up.
    Im not going to give you my whole story as its up on a few threads already but Esat phone monkeys know NOTHING. I wouldnt take it as a serious claim unless I had it on paper in front of me. Then id still be skeptical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Esat's policy has always been disconnecting rather than charging. If you go over your limit there's an autodisconnection on your account when the system refreshes, this then lifts on the first day of the next month.

You can keep track of your allowance through their download stats page, and that will even inform you when you're likely to go over your cap based on your download patterns for that month.

Their accounts department may not be the best, but I've had no problems with the service to date, and I've never been cut off, although I always stay close to the cap just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Does anyone understand the difference between news and rumours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 XY

This is on BT broadbands sign-up page...

From 1st August 2005, you will receive alert mails to let you know when you're near your allowance. If you need to, you can buy top-ups or set up an automatic top-up. Extra usage will cost £1.95 per 1 GB.

If you reach your monthly allowance before you buy a top-up, your speed will be reduced to 150K (this is still 3 times faster than dial-up). As soon as you arrange a top-up, your speed will revert back to your standard speed."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

do you have a link for that XY? i can only find the 'we reserve the right to charge for going over' stance on the web page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭irishshogun

XY wrote:
    This is on BT broadbands sign-up page...

From 1st August 2005, you will receive alert mails to let you know when you're near your allowance. If you need to, you can buy top-ups or set up an automatic top-up. Extra usage will cost £1.95 per 1 Gig "

Is this the uk version of thier package? I noticed you used a pound sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 XY

Apologies - I think that only applies to BT in the UK and not here... it seems much better than the 3c per meg so hopefully they introduce something similar here

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

kjt wrote:
    Wooo damn nice news.. I dl'ed 80gb last month so its damn good news :D

Thx 4 that

Of what? It baffles me how anyone can reach their cap each month.

What can you possibly be downloading to reach the cap?

linux distros of course, what else like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

he already said what he downloaded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

SwampThing wrote:

Music, TV Shows, Films, pr0n .....the list goes on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i used to download the tv shows with bittorrent, but the websites are gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

dont believe her stick to your caps. She may be right and it would be stupid to charge for going over the limit as many people would just change providers but can you take the risk ?!? could you afford 30 euro per gb ? In saying that if you go over by a few hundred megs or a gig or 2 i doubt they will do anything but downloading 80 or 120 gb im sure they will charge for that if you kept it up.

Wish it was true im at 20gb and still almost 2 weeks left in the month. Im going to have to pace myself better seems like the first week or two of the momnth ill download anything at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Sparky_S wrote:
    i used to download the tv shows with bittorrent, but the websites are gone
    no they aren't, you're just not looking in the right places!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I used to download one 700mb avi a day.

I still download 1 game a day, at about 300-2000mb each (Rips and isos etc)

Never once been mentioned that I've gone hugely over the caps. :)

SwampThing wrote:

Not the brightest tool ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭irishshogun

kjt wrote:
    Not the brightest tool ;)

Wouldn't that be 'not the brightest bulb' or not 'the sharpest tool' mixin up your metaphors there!! Ah! just Fu**in with ya!! I'm sure you're sound as a sausage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

I hope thats true, i just seen i am at 29gb already yikes! i hope they don't charge me this month

Advertisement