Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Porcelain Veneers

• 16-05-2005 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

One of my front teeth is slightly crooked and i'm looking at getting porcelain veneers to spruce my teeth up a bit.

Does any know any good cosmetic dentists where I can get these done?

Would it be cheaper to go to England to get these? I have found some excellent cosmetic dentists over there.

Any one with any information is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Why are you asking if it is cheaper in England when you have already checked this out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

When did I mention it was cheaper in England? I stated I had found some excellent cosmetic dentists over there. Excellence does not warrant cheapness, rather than facilites in this case :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

The last time I watched a program containing people getting veneers they look good but it's fairly horrible what they do to you own teeth, they grind em all away into points over which the veneers go. Then they also only last for some 15 years which is a long time but what if in 15 years you don't have the money to replace em?

Personally I'd stick with my own any day after seeing that program.

EDIT: But then I'm not a dentist so what do I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 maxwellwell

i got one of my teeth done. it was expesive but well worth it. go for it! the best thing is unlike crowns etc, veneers actually look like real teeth plus they are really strong too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

i got one of my teeth done. it was expesive but well worth it. go for it! the best thing is unlike crowns etc, veneers actually look like real teeth plus they are really strong too.

Veneer go on the front only of the tooth....crowns cover the entire tooth apart from that they can be made of the same stuff infact crowns can often look much better than veneers as you can change the shape more...mask out dark colours beneath better and a greater thickness of ceramic allows better transmission of light and development of a natural colour.
    Dont get cheep veneers....only the really good one look good and natural. Cosmetic dentistry is not a regestered speciality of dentistry! anyone can call themselfves a cosmetic dentist and often do so after a veneer and sking seminar in the alps. A prosthodontist is the best bet for a consistantly excellent result. They have a proper postgraduate masters in all forms of dental prosthesis. Look in the golden pages there are a good few in ireland. The price will reflect the results you will get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

from what I hear the dentists up north (ie over the border) are cheaper and just as good (if not better) as in the south of Ireland - might be worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

from what I hear the dentists up north (ie over the border) are cheaper and just as good (if not better) as in the south of Ireland - might be worth checking out.

I my experiance its the same anywhere in the world...US..UK..Ireland...the standard varies from practioneer to practioneer you get some great clinicians everywhere but also some cowboys.north south anywhere...check it out throughly. Its your teeth and you should research it before you make a decision. For some reason the people on the boards here seem to think that dentistry is somehow substandard in ireland? The training here is some of the best in europe! The national health system in the UK however does turn some good practioneers into cowboys so watch out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

I dont think anyway thinks that dentists in Irealand are sub-standard - but as with most things in Ireland, they are expensive and sometime you can get the same service somewhere else for a fraction of the cost.
    For something as drastic as you are going for, alot of research is needed and I would go for known quality and expensive over unknown quality and cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

here seem to think that dentistry is somehow substandard in ireland?

i think thats due to many dentists practicing out of houses, its just an appearance and doesnt reflect on the work of course but it appears unprofessional to some people. also ridiculously low capital allowances of 12.5% per annum here mean dentists are reluctant to upgrade equipment.(40% first year write off in the UK,and upto 100% in year 1 in times past on high tech stuff like digital panoramics and cerec machines etc) of course this doesnt reflect on the work at all, its just an appearance to the patient who is trying to compare like with like.

Advertisement