Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can consoles go next?

Options
  • 16-05-2005 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭

It's a simple question - however, I can't think of a simple answer. Sure, there are a few technical answers: "better graphics" "more engrossing games". However, it seems as though with internet gaming finally integrated into consoles, as well a movies, music and now video-conferencing, is there anywhere else for the PS3, XBox 360, Revolution etc to go?

The only "step forward" I've seen so far are 'wireless controllers' and, in reality, that's a small leap really so... is there anywhere left to go?

What could improve gaming for the better? Have Nintendo been correct with their strategy as, now that the technology aspect has virtually been explored to the extent that graphical improvements are insignificant, is it truly all about the games?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Well there's always the Matrix.
    Game --> Console --> Large needle on a wire --> Brain

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

NoelRock wrote:
    What could improve gaming for the better? Have Nintendo been correct with their strategy as, now that the technology aspect has virtually been explored to the extent that graphical improvements are insignificant, is it truly all about the games?

I think people's disapointment with x360 screenies is a testiment to this stance by Nintendo, the graphical capabilities of machines took a huge leap in relative terms (look at the advances it's made since the SNES in realism, even the N64/PS1 era). I think this leap is about to slow significantly, or has already, it will probably be another console generation before another huge leap is plausible (not just in hardware terms but also in convenience for developers who must spend unreal amounts of time in order to make a truely realistically detailed game). This generation is mainly going to catch up with PC, and maybe out do it somewhat for the first year or so. The three machines are probably all going to be more than capable of handling amazing games but sadly there isn't enough imagination or time to make them, and also many of the great ideas of modern gaming have been explored. Look at the GTA series as a perfect example of the development of gaming. It went from a crappy looking 2d game to a polished 2d game to a spectacular 3D game.. and since then all they could do was make the game bigger, offer more weapons/cars/clothes. If GTA for the ps3/x360 is just a game twice the size of San Andreas with more weapons people are going to start to get annoyed.
    So gaming has to move somewhere else. I figure for this metaphor, GTA could go online... it could also offer completely customisable game play... using cameras to change faces, downloadable content and maps made by players (finally, GTA Dublin!).
    Other than that I just see the consoles become media centres, home to mp3 collections, webchats, photo albums, dvd movies and perhaps even net browsing as well as gaming. What new breed of games will come along, who knows? If I did I'd be pitching them to developers and not telling you crum-bums! I just see games pushing themselves into customisability more, as mentioned above. I think open-end games like RPG's will also get bigger (not RPG's, just games that offer more freedom). This will encourage replayability and promise that each person will play the game they want to and that each persons experience will be different.
    Other than that... I dunno. The x360 doesn't seem to be breaking too many boundries, besides Allard saying what I said above (people taking the games/machines out of the creators hands). Having your music/photos on file and connecting some usb devices is nothing new to anyone with a pc and a slightly technical head.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Apart from becomming Home entertainment media centres, personally, I see consoles, with their new-found internet connectivity, entering the MMORPG arena. Its the one genre that consoles have not been able to really venture into - but with consoles now becoming netcentric by design it is only a matter of time until MMORPGs are the main sellers across all platforms - these games have everything flogen seemed to mention - high customisability. MMORPGs tycpically are not heavily network dependant (running WoW at 400ms lag has a much less noticeable effect than CS:Source) meaning games will be stable even if the connection becomes laggy - reducing the need for your average console gamer to worry about pings and other technical issues.
    MMORPGs being subscription based are a godsend for developers - Blizzard in my opinion must be cleaning up with WoW and thats before China gets up and running with it. With this in mind coupled with always-on high speed internet access becoming commonplace, MMORPGs are the way to go.

As for other avenues, I heard talk about Xbox vs PC internet games - although wouldn't that be a toboo amongst hardcore PC gamers - "i'm not playing with that cheap-ass who can't afford a PC" :D

But yea, I agree consoles and their developers are beginning to flog a dead horse in terms of gaming advancements. Lets see what Nintendo plan to do for 'Revolution'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Games quite simply, those specs from Msft and Sony suggest Ultimate home entertainment machine, i want to play games just bloody games.

1 player, 2 player, online, fun games with simple addictiveness.

If i want stunning immersiveness i turn on the pc, if i want community interaction again its the pc. My Dvd player plays movies, my amp plays music and movie soundtracks, all is well under the telly i dont need another machine to do somfin i have a machine that already does the thing the new machine wants to do.

Revolution has stunned me, others are simply stunning pieces of equipment but Rev gives me all the reasons i still play games back to me.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

^ what he said :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

KdjaC wrote:
    Revolution has stunned me, others are simply stunning pieces of equipment but Rev gives me all the reasons i still play games back to me.

Em how? They showed barely anything about it

KdjaC wrote:
    Games quite simply, those specs from Msft and Sony suggest Ultimate home entertainment machine, i want to play games just bloody games.

1 player, 2 player, online, fun games with simple addictiveness.

If i want stunning immersiveness i turn on the pc, if i want community interaction again its the pc. My Dvd player plays movies, my amp plays music and movie soundtracks, all is well under the telly i dont need another machine to do somfin i have a machine that already does the thing the new machine wants to do.

kdjac

Yeah, it's nice to have a few things bundled into one (less wires!) but as has been the mantra of Ninty, the more you put into something the more each individual feature suffers.
    The revolution has always been the thing I was most interested in for E3, the screenies and the downloadable games have instantly made me even more interested, but still no revolution. Saying that, if there was one company out of the three that I'd trust to deliver on its hype, it would be Nintendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Em I don't know if you've looked at any game screenies but if you think the graphical improvements are insignificant then your blind. This is the biggest leap since consoles went from 16-bit to 32-bit and a massive improvement from last gen stuff. I don't think it was Nintendo's strategy. I think Nintendo just didn't have the money to make the likes of the ps3 or x-box tech and then take the risk of selling each unit at a loss of a few hundred. The big corps are taking over whether we like it or not. The revolution so far is the least impressive on any front and if you think otherwise your simply a fanboy. Kdjac, not everyone has a high end pc or can afford one for that matter. The consoles will also have a massive variety of games that you don't see on pc's. If you don't like the extra features on Sony and microsofts consoles you don't have to use them. Making that a negative point because your pc can do it is just stupid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

BloodBath wrote:
    Em I don't know if you've looked at any game screenies but if you think the graphical improvements are insignificant then your blind. This is the biggest leap since consoles went from 16-bit to 32-bit and a massive improvement from last gen stuff.

Well everything looks a hell of a lot nicer on the new systems. However I haven't seen one game on any of the new consoles that couldn't be done on the previous generation. The innovations are just nicer graphics. 16-bit to 32-bit was a much bigger leap. It gave real 3D environments to play in that ran smoothly and were quite detailed. the current generation brought accessible on-line play and huge playing areas. The new consoles are doing nothing different.

I think I know what KdjaC sees in the revolution. It's giving him games to play and enjoy instead of a load of marketing BS. Nintendo have the right idea about making games and machines for gamers. It's unfortunate joe public won't see it that way. Given the choice of rotten faeces wrapped in gold foil or sushi and they will go for the shiniest.

Seriosuly how? The other consoles offer a lot more yet it's put down as a negaitve by Nintendo fanboys. I am genuinely unbiassed in this and far from Joe public. I know a lot about hardware and software. I never said the innovations were anything more than graphical. The same will apply to Nintendo when they start rolling out the countless sequels to their franchises. Just because you don't want all the extra features doesn't mean the next guy won't. Like I said earlier, if you don't like it, don't use it. At least you have the choice. I'm not saying the revolution will be a bad machine either. So far it's the most unimpressive though. I'm sure there will be a lot of games on it I will want to play though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

the game of life is next.

Bored with your own life?
    strap yourself in (pay a small monthly fee) and feel the g's.

you need never venture to the real world or go on a holiday again when the power of your mind can take you anwhere.

wait, this isnt total recal.

Have it already m8.

10679919891067991989Life-Cover.gif

BloodBath wrote:
    Em I don't know if you've looked at any game screenies but if you think the graphical improvements are insignificant then your blind. This is the biggest leap since consoles went from 16-bit to 32-bit and a massive improvement from last gen stuff. I don't think it was Nintendo's strategy. I think Nintendo just didn't have the money to make the likes of the ps3 or x-box tech and then take the risk of selling each unit at a loss of a few hundred. The big corps are taking over whether we like it or not. The revolution so far is the least impressive on any front and if you think otherwise your simply a fanboy. Kdjac, not everyone has a high end pc or can afford one for that matter. The consoles will also have a massive variety of games that you don't see on pc's. If you don't like the extra features on Sony and microsofts consoles you don't have to use them. Making that a negative point because your pc can do it is just stupid.

well, they're much more detailed and neater than the current generation, but compare halo 2 to the shots of killzone and it's not as big a leap as snes to n64... not by a longshot. It looks much, much nicer but not to any groundbreaking degree. Also, these shots are nothing the PC hasn't been seeing recently, or they're not far off it anyway. Forget about price (and what you can/cant afford) I'm talking about originality.
    As has been said by retro, and as was one of my points, tidying up the graphics and making them a bit more realistic isn't what a new generation should be about, more of the same, but nicer! I want something new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Its wrecking my head the way all you nintendo-heads are going about "giving us games to play," does it ever occur to you that some people (me included) like seeing a new Fifa/Tekken/GTA/GT on the PS/Xbox every year? I'm personnaly excited about the Xbox360/PS3 lineup.

I accept that nintendo systems generally have their own genre of games, and thats cool, i like mario/zelda and all that myself, aswell as Medal of Honour etc, but for god sake stop banging on about it.

The PS3 and Xbox360 need to be more powerful then the nintendo system because of the games and people that play on it. You dont need 2.18 teraflops to make mario look good, so they dont bother. Thats why they havent started to hype the specs!
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    Nintendo have the right idea about making games and machines for gamers.

Speak for yourself. What might be right for you, isn't right for every gamer. So you shouldnt assume it is. My favourite console this gen is Xbox, because it plays excellently, the games suit my taste and i like the controller. Your probably the opposite, and prefer nintendo. Just because i favour one over the other, doesnt mean im any less of an informed "gamer."
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    the current generation brought accessible on-line play and huge playing areas. The new consoles are doing nothing different.

Okay, so you wont buy them then, if they dont offer anything extra?

Great home entertainment features, hard disks, breath-taking graphics, ability for developers to create much better AI, greater environments and better connectivity....

I'm with Bloodbath on this one, counting "extra features" against the consoles is cutting off your nose despite your face. Use them, dont use them, you still get to play games!

The only thing i'm worried about, is losing the wireless pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

bush wrote:
    Em how? They showed barely anything about it

And it looks like a toilet seat. Not very impressive.

I'm not to sure where consoles will go in the future, if they go anywhere. The pc could takeover completly. Bill Gates say he see's computers as the centre of the home in the future, so consoles could be irradicated replaced entirely be the versitility of computers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I admit to not being blown away by the revolution and that the PS3 and xbox 360 are far more impressive. However I want to see something new that hasn't been done before and justifies the existance of the new hardware. The Mega Drive had the large super fast scrolling levels in Sonic. The Snes brought pseudo 3D and rotation effects with mode 7. The playstation gave us the gorgeous smooth real time 3D playing areas of ridge racer. The N64 gave us analogue control and the free roaming 3D environments of Mario 64. GTA3 on the playstation 2 came the closest to creating a living breathing city to play in.

All I have seen from this generation is generic racing sim 3, generic 3D platformer 4, and simon says FPS games. i probably will enjoy a lot of these games but there is nothing here to get really excited about. I'm holding out for nintendo to get me excited by working their magic and giving me something to get really excited about.
    Okay, so you wont buy them then, if they dont offer anything extra?

Nope, I'll more than likely own them all. I'm just not blown away by any of the consoles.

You have some valid points but I see it differently. Every game shown could be done on the current generation of machines with downgraded graphics. However we are being charged the price of a new console and, if those thieving, churn it out in six months no matter how bad it is, bastards EA are to be believed, 75 euros a pop to play these games. I want justification for my purchase.

well, they're much more detailed and neater than the current generation, but compare halo 2 to the shots of killzone and it's not as big a leap as snes to n64... not by a longshot. It looks much, much nicer but not to any groundbreaking degree. Also, these shots are nothing the PC hasn't been seeing recently, or they're not far off it anyway. Forget about price (and what you can/cant afford) I'm talking about originality.

Ok you show me a pc game that comes close to this Don't say HL2 because it's not even close. That's also far far beyond the likes of halo 2. Originality? So your looking forward to super mario 28, mariokart 5, metroid 8, mario party 6, zelda 12. Nothing original there m8. Not saying it's bad but it's the same on every format. It's very hard to come up with a good original game these days.
    I admit to not being blown away by the revolution and that the PS3 and xbox 360 are far more impressive. However I want to see something new that hasn't been done before and justifies the existance of the new hardware. The Mega Drive had the large super fast scrolling levels in Sonic. The Snes brought pseudo 3D and rotation effects with mode 7. The playstation gave us the gorgeous smooth real time 3D playing areas of ridge racer. The N64 gave us analogue control and the free roaming 3D environments of Mario 64. GTA3 on the playstation 2 came the closest to creating a living breathing city to play in.

All I have seen from this generation is generic racing sim 3, generic 3D platformer 4, and simon says FPS games. i probably will enjoy a lot of these games but there is nothing here to get really excited about. I'm holding out for nintendo to get me excited by working their magic and giving me something to get really excited about.

We all want hat but I don't think we're going to get it until they develop holograpic projections. Until then we will have to be happy with improvements in graphics, physics ect making games a lot more life like and engrossing. I don't see how Nintendo can offer anything the others can't tbh, apart from their own great games.

BloodBath wrote:
    We all want hat but I don't think we're going to get it until they develop holograpic projections. Until then we will have to be happy with improvements in graphics, physics ect making games a lot more life like and engrossing. I don't see how Nintendo can offer anything the others can't tbh, apart from their own great games.

How unfortunately true. It seems the handhelds now are the only true bastions of originality at the moment. At least we can expect a few Katamari Damacrys and Icos for the next generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Arabel wrote:
    And it looks like a toilet seat. Not very impressive.
    What sort of weird toilets are you using? ;)

BloodBath wrote:
    Ok you show me a pc game that comes close to this Don't say HL2 because it's not even close. That's also far far beyond the likes of halo 2. Originality? So your looking forward to super mario 28, mariokart 5, metroid 8, mario party 6, zelda 12. Nothing original there m8. Not saying it's bad but it's the same on every format. It's very hard to come up with a good original game these days.

I wouldn't say that a game has to be new to be original. A sequal can have some originality, case in point, GTA 3. sequal to GTA 2 and it offered something totally new. I have no problem with sequals once they're new games, and not just fifa 01, 02, 03, 04, 05 etc.

True, and that's one thing I'm watching out for. stuff besides graphics like physics and so on. I mentioned in another thread that killzone looks amazing, but the physics and fire effects look ropey.
    As far as what nintendo can offer, I've given up trying to guess. When all this revolution hype started i was trying to think what they could plausibly do that would really break the mould (besides a modern virtual boy!), then i started thinking what smaller ideas they may have to change things a bit... but it's not worth it. The revolution may just be better realism (whatever that means) and it may actually change the way we see gaming forever. it may just be hype. I'll just have to wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Q. Where can consoles go next?

A. Straight to The Moon Alice, TO THE MOON!

Q. Where can consoles go next?

A. Straight to The Moon Alice, TO THE MOON!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

I'm seeing double, four posts

Bit of 3am backup gimpage.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes better graphics is all nice and good, but for me, the next gen will all be about much better physics and AI and more immersive worlds.

I really got that impression while watching the PS3 demos, it wasn't just that the games looked so much better, it was how much was going on in them.

Just look at the PS3 Getaway demo, I wouldn't be surprised if it is pre-rendered, but this is what I want. Their were 100's of people on the streets of London, some reading the paper, some walking fast to get somewhere, some strolling, everyone doing their own thing. And it looked great, almost photorealistic. But it was the AI that really impressed me.

Or just look at the complicated physics going on in Motor Storm. Wow.

For innovativeness, I was very impressed by the Eyetoy tech demo with the two cups. What a great idea and it just goes to show some great new ways that we will be able to interact with the computer.

Also Eyedentity was a very intriguing demo. In case you didn't see it, the gamer was able to talk to the characters using a headset and the characters were able to respond with some clever AI. CAn you just imagine how this could be used in a squad based game, you could shout orders at your computer controlled team mates. Very cool.

This is what I expect from the next gen, that was why I was so impressed by the PS3 conference and so underwhelmed by the 360 conference. MS just didn't show off anything interesting and they didn't show anything that can't be done with the current Xbox. It was all about slightly better graphics, but nothing interesting with AI or physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

bk wrote:
    Or just look at the complicated physics going on in Motor Storm. Wow.
    Lol. That whole video was preset. No real time physics going on.

Advertisement