Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Folk Metal?

Options
  • 16-05-2005 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Anyone here like folk metal? Like Finntroll and Ensiferum? I have heard two by Ol' Finners and one by Ensiferum. Yes i know it sounds like someone is taking the piss, but they very good. Midhattens Widunder by Finntroll and Lai Lai Hai by Ensiferum are the songs.

What about the Irish bands Cruachan, Waylander and Mael Mordha? (how do you pronouce the first and last? i didnt do irish!)

Are they worth buying albums / EP's off? I may do so because I have heard great things about them

Anyone here fans of the bands?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Ensiferum are amazing the self titled first album is by far the better of the them, You should get the whole thing. well worth it IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

cruachan have a fair few samples on their site(cant remember the url however) , sound pretty cool to me.
    waylander & mael mordha are supposed to be class also, havent heard anything from them though

a band that i'd highly reccomend are SkyForger(http://www.skyforger.lv) they're not exclusively folk, they're latvian and play mostly pagan death/black metal. but they do play a fair bit of folk, they have a special folk-only album called 'sword-song' which i own and is very cool! which i purchased from sentinel records here in dublin

they have a fair few samples on their site too, so give them a listen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

stonehenge.jpg

John2 wrote:
    stonehenge.jpg

ROTFLMAO!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

I absolutely adore Waylander, Cruachán and Mael Mordha. They make me wish I did Irish dancing in school... I've never heard Finntroll. Would I like them?

(Oh and you pronounce Cruachán as Crew-a-cawn and Mael Mórdha as Mwaol-more-ha, hope that helps.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Im currently listening to Ensiferum here in the office. Have posted numerous times about how much I like them a really good group, if you like them then check out Turisas another finnish group and almost as good. Finntroll are really something else amazingly addictive group with some fantastic albums. Cruachan would be my favourite of the irish groups seen them live a few times now and they just get better and better. Pagan being the best album imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,719 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Finntroll are fúcking class! heard alot about ensiferum but not gotten around t o listening to them. Nightwish have some funky folk action going on too - fantastic band. might be playing nancy spains in cork soon (fingers crossed).

If you like finntroll may as well go back to basics to some of the enigma and majesty that is Jethro Tull!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 rootofallevil

Orden Ogan are also very good, not out and out Folk metal but its got elements of it nicely blended in. there's lots of good Sweden/Irish Folk metal flying around. The whole Swedish-Irish combination in Folk metal works a lot better than our nations last colaboration of Volvo's and Guinness.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Finntroll = awesome
    I have Midnattens Werdunder and Jaktens Tid and theyre such amazing albums.
    Try Kalmah theyre pretty cool aswell.
    As for Cruachan, very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Ensiferum are a fantastic band, only have one album (Iron), but regardless, very good music. If you want a bit more meat behind it though go for some Wintersun, they only have one album currently (self titles), and the whole album is written by Jari Mäenpää (guitarist/vocalist for Ensiferum before leaving after recording Ensiferum's latest album), and its simply brilliant. Finntroll are also great to listen to, hard to take them seriously at times when they have songs like Rov, which is downright odd, but regardless, brilliant band.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

Check out Moonsorrow, pretty good folk metal from either Finland or Sweden...can't remember which...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

John2 wrote:
    stonehenge.jpg

HA HA HA!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Really like the irish folk bands.
    Waylanders first album was excellent, but wasn't too keen after that.
    Mael Mordha & Cruachan are both really good too - can't wait to see Mael Mordha playing with Green Carnation - should be a great gig..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Spoderman

Just picked up that Wintersun album last week. Pretty darn good.

Advertisement