Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

repeats similar to paper?

• 16-05-2005 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Are the repeats similar to the summer paper or way different?>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Course? Subject?

Check out www.ucd.ie/stuweb for all the past papers for the last 6/7 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Similar, and usually easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

they mark the repeats harder tho FACT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

tintinr35 wrote:

Eh, that's just plain wrong. Trust me, I'm a veteran of repeats :( and they actually mark easier IMO, or at least as easy as the Summer exams.

Jesus, if they'd marked it harder I'd never have got into 2nd yr. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

tintinr35 wrote:

How can you say that? Are you a lecturer?
    Most lecturers tend to make them pretty much the same as far as I know. They don't wanna see you fail either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

RachG wrote:
    How can you say that? Are you a lecturer?
    Most lecturers tend to make them pretty much the same as far as I know. They don't wanna see you fail either!

I would say it would vary on how amny people are doing the repeats. If one course had a huge failure rate in the Summer they are only going to mark easy in order to meet targets. On the other hand if there was a high pass rate in the summer they could mark harder. In my case for this August, I failed Sociology definitley and since the department make it bloody obvious they want half of us to f**k off and die for next year, I know they are going to mark bloody tough so I'm piss worried about failing the year.

Zane makes a good point. He could be spot on with that appraisal.

Lemme see...
    Politics = big class, massive failure rate. Yeah, they'll mark easier (yaaay)
    History = big class, possible large pass rate. Oh cr*p. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

SebtheBum wrote:
    Zane makes a good point. He could be spot on with that appraisal.

Lemme see...
    Politics = big class, massive failure rate. Yeah, they'll mark easier (yaaay)
    History = big class, possible large pass rate. Oh cr*p. :D

I'm the man for appraisals! (eh WTF are appraisallelds?)

Sociology: 550 people.... they want 225 hopefully dead
    Geography: 275 people... will cut to about 150 I'd say, I should pass as I am Geography
    Information Studies: they would pass people who didn't even show up for the exams as everyone finds the subject so flipping dull

I'm the man for appraisals! (eh WTF are appraisallelds?)

evaluation, estimation, assessment, rating, review, perception.

Clearer now?

• Advertisement

no im not a lecturer but my aunt lecturers in Arts and they are told obviously not ofically but they are told to be harder on repeats, uve had an extra two months to study from the time the results come out so u are expected to do better, that is why there is such a high volume of people repeating years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

tintinr35 wrote:
    That generally depends on the lecturer, cos some of them just don't like repeats, don't agree that ppl should get a 2nd chance (very few thankfully) - if you've got someone who is in anyway human they won't put any suprises on the paper and will mark it fairly. But there's always one or two...(Goddamn Dr Black with his Goddamn 2004 repeat paper, Grrrrr)

tintinr35 wrote:
    that is why there is such a high volume of people repeating years

Eh... Again, wrong. There isn't. The amount of people repeating years in UCD is no higher then anywhere else, and you certainly can't attribute people repeating a year purely due to "harder" Autumn Repeats - let us not forget that these are students who failed the first time around. They hardly failed again because somebody marked them even harder :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Geography has been known to give the EXACT same paper, yet to meet anyone who has had to repeat let alone fal repeats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

tintinr35 wrote:
    no im not a lecturer but my aunt lecturers in Arts and they are told obviously not ofically but they are told to be harder on repeats, uve had an extra two months to study from the time the results come out so u are expected to do better, that is why there is such a high volume of people repeating years

Well my father's a lecturer in UCD and he's never said that. They just want everyone to pass. Is better for everyone.

well ok!! im not getting into it but for example
    110ppl sat autumn repeat in 1st politics 2003
    85% failed this is up on the notice board in the politics department dunno how many that is u do the maths
    some departments with a complex(politics, sociology, economics, irish) etc all have patterns of high failure of autumn repeats in the last 4 years, and lots of these ppl go on to repeat the year so it is pretty obvious that somthing needs to change radically in the arts department in particular. :mad:
    in responce to superman i know 3 2nd year geography repeats!!!

Advertisement