Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IrishBroadband Speeds gone to hell lately?

• 16-05-2005 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Mine certainly are.

I'm on the RTE transmitter. Especially annoying since I got the damned thing mainly for college, and now in the middle of my finals it takes me two damned minutes to download a PDF! Which I do a LOT! Grrr... :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

yes i have definitly noticed this, i am also on RTE mast. Any reason for this?? are they limiting downloading?? as i notice on their site they now say there is a 30gig a month download cap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Are you on breeze or ripwave?

R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 R Ramirez

Mine certainly are.

I'm on the RTE transmitter. Especially annoying since I got the damned thing mainly for college, and now in the middle of my finals it takes me two damned minutes to download a PDF! Which I do a LOT! Grrr... :mad
    :

I was with Irishbroadband for 6 months (November 03 to May 04). I was on the transmitter in James Gate. My connection was slower than a dial up from day one.. I'm not one to go complaining without checking out the issue first so I performed a alot of tests.. I re-installed my OS, got more RAM, tested it on my wok laptop.. I even carried my mates machine (which he had just built about 3 weeks before and was a savage oul machine) round from his house to mine and tried his machine on my connection.. Nothing made a difference.

I eventually called them up and I had on of there guys run some tests.. He was scratching his head so he sent a 'technician' out on Christmas Eve.. I wasn't there to meet him but there was some to let him in. He was gone about 5 minutes later and he called me and told me he had 'fixed' the issue.
    As it was Christmas I didnt go near my machine till 3 days after Christmas.. It was exactly the same as it was before the 'technician' came out.

I rarely use my computer and left it for some months until I got tired of it and had some words with them.. The came out and took it away and cancelled my contract without term fees.. I am with Netsource now and they are absolutely brilliant.. Not one issue so far.

I was far too pateint with Irishbroadband. They are, giving my experience, terrible. I'd steer well clear of them

irlrobins wrote:
    Are you on breeze or ripwave?

R

im on breeze and have been for about 6-9 months, never had a problem ever before, so i am soory to see them have issues now as i am a loyal customer, i hope it will be fixed soon, i want to upgrade to the 2 meg buisness line anyway, but i doont know wether they will let me, being a normal home-user and all

im on breeze and have been for about 6-9 months, never had a problem ever before, so i am soory to see them have issues now as i am a loyal customer, i hope it will be fixed soon, i want to upgrade to the 2 meg buisness line anyway, but i doont know wether they will let me, being a normal home-user and all

Netsource upgraded my line from 512k to 2mb for no extra charge about 5 weeks ago. Think it was something to do with Smart Telecom offering that service for same price or less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I'm on the Ballymun mast.

Speeds are all over the place for me too.

IBB had me limited to 100k/sec for the last few weeks.

This morning I was getting speeds of around 230k a second
    and now they are maxing out at 30ksec.

Will be giving them a call (again) if this keeps up for too long.

Shiny wrote:

Will be giving them a call (again) if this keeps up for too long.

mine seem to just be really low ALL the time for about a week. Is the upgrade to 2 meg confirmed or just rumours??

Will be giving them a call (again) if this keeps up for too long

I wouldnt leave it too long.. However, as it is wireless your bound experience some interuption with service.. Much like a mobile phone. At least your getting some service.. I wasnt getting anything near 30k.. IBB obviously do provide good service to some customers but they dont provide to them all and thats what lets them down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

FWA is much unlike a mobile phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Shaney Seanie

i just got IBB a few weeks ago, couldnt get any of the phoneline or NTL broadband. it seemed to be fine so far but has really slowed down terribly today and yesterday. i tried that http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed/ thing today (never used it before) and got 19kbs this morning, right now its 215 which seems great! can i expect this sort of slowdown regularly? how accurate a representation is the speed test? and does anyone know for sire what the deal is with this 30gig download limit? is everyone getting that now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭statto

I am on 3 rock and speeds are all over the place. One minute 1 meg plus the next it's below 100 kpbs. In particular my upload speed is dreadful - never above download and struggle to make past 400 kpbs. I am on an upgraded 1 meg breeze connection.

Is there a automated speed testing utility out there that logs the test results - I want to build a profile of my speed. Have done a quick google but found nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

damn, just ordered IBB for my parents. Hope I don't have the probs you guys are having.

R

i rang IBB, they will upgrade all the lines to 2meg soon, so i ordered the buisness 2meg line which will be upgraded to 3meg soon and its the same price as what i pay now. NICE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

I'm on the Ballymun mast and there was a serious outage last night about 2.45am - I know because myself and a friend were installing Gentoo on a new pc and were downloading the source at the time. The connection returned at 3.55am for about 2 minutes and disappeared again. For over an hour prior to the outage the connection was being limited to 48~51kb/s which is 512k speeds.

Bannor wrote:
    I'm on the Ballymun mast and there was a serious outage last night about 2.45am - I know because myself and a friend were installing Gentoo on a new pc and were downloading the source at the time. The connection returned at 3.55am for about 2 minutes and disappeared again. For over an hour prior to the outage the connection was being limited to 48~51kb/s which is 512k speeds.

aparently it is because of the upgrades happening, i will give them a few weeks to sort that, if it is still the same in 2-3 weeks i will consider going to ntl or something, problem is i REALLY need the high upload speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Im on the Atrium in D15 and ive been getting bad pings since Sunday night. I kept getting kicked off our BFV server for high pings , if you ping over 150 for more than 1 min youre kicked. My download speeds are back at the 25k/25k. IM with IBB 6 months and this seems like a regular thing every 6-8 weeks they go belly up. Last time it was 2 months before it was fixed.

How long for this one. We have a Clan match for friday night I may have to cancel it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 G|N|T

I'm off RTE:

Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=57
    Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=57
    Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=57

127k/bytes sec downloads

Doesnt seem all of us are suffering :D

G|N|T wrote:
    I'm off RTE:

Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=57
    Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=57

127k/bytes sec downloads

Doesnt seem all of us are suffering :D

thats like my usual pings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Yup, looks like they've either turned on traffic limiting (again) or they're doing work and traffic is temporarily gone to ****. I'm maxing out at about 60kB/sec on my 2meg line. Tis very annoying, i was hoping to get something downloaded by 6, but looks like its not going to happen any time soon :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I think i have an LOS issue at the minute with tree in bloom. But i'm worried about this 30Gig a month cap. Can they apply it retrospectively to people as i've signed up for a no-cap contract?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I was having the same issue as you Multant rang a few times they tried to blame my router apparently they are gettin more bandwidth so speeds shouldnt drop as much during the day. Mine is grand now today though 160k downloads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

mine are bad since Sunday. Somthing tells me this is going to be one of these mad long IBB threads till they eventually pay it some notice.

just did a broadband speed test, 40k-50k downloads (512k connection speeds) :mad:

Mine has gone crap now again 500kbits 512k speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

I'm on the RTE transmitter.

hi, yeah i'm off the RTE transmitter too, mine went really bad a few weeks ago, but I spotted this thread last month:
    Any issues with IBB Breeze Access please post here. Help is always at hand

PMed The Wise man and he arranged for someone to sort it out, been with IBB over 2 years now so was still on the original kit, they upgraded it and upped the connection speed... been behaving itself better ever since

might be worth dropping him a PM too...

19kbs ha this is a joke, they said that its within the ratio and prob due to heavy downloaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭enigma_b17

i am sad to say it......but

ibb is the single worst isp i have ever had, and that is including dialup.

From having talked to support they say that the connection is fine, yet dloads are no greater then 20k/s. Still they say its fine and the problem is because of contention.

Ill be leavin em at the end of the summer for the only reason that no1 else covers my area yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

enigma_b17 wrote:
    i am sad to say it......but

ibb is the single worst isp i have ever had, and that is including dialup.

From having talked to support they say that the connection is fine, yet dloads are no greater then 20k/s. Still they say its fine and the problem is because of contention.

Ill be leavin em at the end of the summer for the only reason that no1 else covers my area yet.

Latency has been bad since SUday too for me !!

I'm off Ballycoolin !

(state your mast plz, IBB do read Boards.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭enigma_b17

well this has been an ongoing problem for about 2 months now.

when i had the 1 meg i rarely got anywhere near 50k/s and now im on 2 meg I dont get over 20-30. Ive tried it at day and at night, and im just at the end of my string

im on three rock by the by, 2mb breeze (so im told anyway, if u ask me ive been shafted down onto a dialup one)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

And it goes on ! 12 month contract almost up ! think I'll be moving ! who needs good uploads when you pings are soooooo pooooooooorrr!!!

Even if they mailed and said, we are doing considerable works and dont expect a consistant service for a few weeks we can bare with it but a rollercoaster of sppeds is unaceptable !

The irony is that I have NTL and IBB, I live in D15 and both dont work right ! some people on boards cant even get one BB provider!

NTL is oversubscrided in the area and the connection is at 25 %
    IBB is "good" at weekends, however I've spend on average an additonal €50 on telephone calls each month to sort out !

Advertisement