Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what do you think is the real population of Cork City?

• 16-05-2005 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

I see all these figures of around 150,000, but that was back in the 70's! What do you think it is today with all the jobs available, etc.

I say around 500,000 including the suburbs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

123,000 for the city and 430,000 for munster in 2002 i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Wasnt there a thread on this ages ago. Remember the disscussion being about the city boundaries and if it was correct it was close to 200,000. Cant remember now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

123,062 for the city, 447,829 for the county in 2002 . The "city" is very limited by its official boundaries. As far as I know, none of Douglas, Rochestown, Glanmire, Ballincollig, Blarney, Carrigaline, Carrigtohill are included in this figure, but it all depends where you want to draw the line. Douglas surely should be considered part of the city, as you can walk from there to the city centre without ever leaving a built-up area. But Carrigaline? Or Blarney? I think if you added all the places listed above and everywhere in between you'd be up to about 230,000.
    Interestingly, the population of the "city" has been in decline for a long time (maybe the trend was slightly bucked in the last census), I'm guessing due to younger people moving out to the places listed above, leaving 'empty nesters' behind in the city.
    Limerick is in a similar situation wrt boundaries. A lot of the population of Greater Limerick actually live in Clare. In the 2002 census the population of Limerick city is 11,000 less than that of Galway city. However I think that is probably misleading as Galway has significantly extended its boundaries but Limerick hasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

there is a census next year afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

indeed there is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭7mountpleasant

population of Cork City and its environs is 254000. (cork area development plan)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 kevinroche

It depends what kind of Cork people you´re talking about. There´s only a small number of real Cork people. ie People who give a damn about Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

kevinroche wrote:
    It depends what kind of Cork people you´re talking about. There´s only a small number of real Cork people. ie People who give a damn about Cork.

I was doubtful about this, then he showed me some anecdotal evidence.

Now I'm a believer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Cork needs to be more inclusive about what it counts as Cork City as it doesn't get taken as seriously as it should.

Dublin has no problem using the "Greater Dublin Area" terminology. Cork needs to start doing the same!

The Greater Cork Area or the Cork Metro Area is just shy of 1/3rd of a Million people sounds a hell of a lot more important than Cork City has 160,000 people.

If you look at it this way, the 021 area which is pretty much the Greater Cork area, actually did run out of 6-digit phone numbers. That would indicate a pretty big population.

If we underplay our population it just makes the city less attractive to investors and get taken less seriously when it comes to funding for arts/culture projects etc.

Even if the Corpo and County Council have a bit of a boundry dispute, they should declare a "Cork Metropolitan Area" that covers all of the suburban stuff as they need to get their act together (litterally) on things like Public Transport etc etc..

Cork City (the area controlled by Cork City Council) is actually very non-residential. The bulk of the city's population live in the suburbs, which fall under the county council mostly.

In Dublin, because the county's physically so small. It's very easy to just get a population of County Dublin and call it "the Greater Dublin Area"
    Cork, being such a sprawling county, makes doing that a little more difficult unless we draw up a "Cork Metropolitan Area"

Don't forget that Dublin City's official population is only 495,781
    (2002 census)
    County Dublin : 1,122,821

Cork City: 123,062
    County Cork: 447,829
    (obviously there are more genuninely rural areas in that too though, although, there are parts of County Dublin that are most definitely not the city either)

Drop your local TDs a letter or an email pointing out that you think it would be a really good idea to get the CSO to have a Cork Metropolitan area figure too. Not just Cork City / County.

Might actually happen!!

Bizmark: You're under estimating Munster's population a tad:
    According to the CSO it's 1,100,614

Leinster: 2,105,579
    Munster: 1,100,614
    Connacht: 464,296
    Ulster (part of): 246,714
    State: 3,917,203

(At 2002)

Principal Agglomerations
    1 Dublin LEI 495,781
    2 Cork MUN 123,062
    3 Galway CON 65,832
    4 Tallaght LEI 62,799
    5 Limerick MUN 54,023
    6 Blanchardstown LEI 50,193
    7 Waterford MUN 44,594
    8 Clondalkin LEI 42,829
    9 Lucan LEI 33,272

So, officially (according to the EU anyway) Limerick's actually our 5th city.. and Galway could soon be overtaken by Tallaght!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

yor iformation is like trying to fit a candle on a cake that is bigger than it.
    limerick has a popo of 90,000 and limericks is the 3 city of ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Solair wrote:
    ...So, officially (according to the EU anyway) Limerick's actually our 5th city...

Since when did Tallaght become a city???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

see in the echo yesterday the first rumblings of a dispute between the county and city councils over extension of city boundaries, hopefully and surely it wont reach the same pathetic level of dispute thats happening in limerick at the mo with 4 councils,then again it seems silly gaa rivalries play as much a part up there.

Advertisement