Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am thinking of switching to NTL from Eircom.

• 16-05-2005 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

I have seen their new 3MB connection, with 300kbs upload, and I am really impressed to say the least, and it is only €45.00 a month before VAT, so it should be the same as Eircom's price for 2MB down/128 up.

I have a couple of questions though:

Is this only a limited time offer, will the price from the 3mb line eventually go up?

Does the service work well with Xbox live?

Do you get good regular speeds?

I read under terms and condition that "If you are not currently an ntl TV customer additional subscription charges may apply. I am a Sky Digital customer, does this mean i'll have to pay more than €45 yoyo's a month for NTL broadband max?

I may well get the service if there is no cons, I have been with Eircom more than 12 months after all. Though there is IBB aswell, so i'm staying open-minded.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Is NTL available in Cork City?
    Anyway to answer your questions:

The price for the 3Mb/300k service is currently €50 - it is being reduced to €45 on June 1st.
    It is not a limited offer - except that it should be faster/cheaper in the future .
    Regular speeds - historiclly yes, though the current upgrades have given up/down speeds; but I fully expect these to stabilise shortly.

XBox live - it's supported (look here ) - but check on the X-Box forum

afaik you have to subscribe to the ntl Basic TV package to receive broadband - but iirc they are currently giving this free for 12 months. Best to phone NTL to clarify.

hth,
    causal

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

CorkMan wrote:
    I have seen their new 3MB connection, with 300kbs upload, and I am really impressed to say the least, and it is only €45.00 a month before VAT, so it should be the same as Eircom's price for 2MB down/128 up.

Actually Eircoms product costs €54 per month.
    Is this only a limited time offer, will the price from the 3mb line eventually go up?

No it is not a limited offer, that is not to say that they couldn't rise the price in the future, but that is the same for Eircom and every other BB company. I certainly wouldn't expect them to raise the price.

BTW it also includes free install, free modem and first three months free.
    Does the service work well with Xbox live?

Yes, but I haven't tried it as I don't have an Xbox.
    Do you get good regular speeds?

Yes, I'm on 3m/300k and it seems to be perfect.
    I read under terms and condition that "If you are not currently an ntl TV customer additional subscription charges may apply. I am a Sky Digital customer, does this mean i'll have to pay more than €45 yoyo's a month for NTL broadband max?

You need to get their analogue TV service, I think it costs €19 per month, however they currently give you it free for 12 months when you sign up for BB.
    I may well get the service if there is no cons, I have been with Eircom more than 12 months after all. Though there is IBB aswell, so i'm staying open-minded.

I moved from Netsource (DSL) to NTL and I couldn't be happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

If you can move to NTL from Eircom DO IT! You won't regret it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Sorry to burst your bubble CorkMan, but NTL is'nt available in Cork, only Chorus

jbkenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Lexmark.Printer

Don't burn valuable brain cells thinking about it! DO IT!!! :D

NTL > €ircon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Infini wrote:
    If you can move to NTL from Eircom DO IT! You won't regret it.

Well if you live in D15 where NTL is a shambles stay put until its sorted !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

hahah you are thinking of switching?

Switch I tells ya switch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

CorkMan wrote:

I have a couple of questions though:

QUOTE]

It's actually €45 a month INCLUDING VAT!!! Yes the speeds are what they claim. See this post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=254594&page=4&pp=20

It is what it claims.....but you have to be on the NTL network. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I just changed from Eircom to NTl 3meg the other day. Trust me, you will not regret it.

Advertisement