Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MP3 player with tuner

Options
  • 17-05-2005 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if people can give me some feedback

I am currently thinking of purchasing a Sony NW-507 1Gb with Tuner. I like it because it is teeny tiny, can store a sufficient amount of music and has a radio (yes, this is a feature I want :) ) It's retailing at somewhere around €200.

I have also been looking at the iRiver iFP-899 - 1GB with Tuner. I like it for the same reasons I like the Sony one. It's retailing at somewhere around €125.

I'm just stumped as to which is the better buy. The Sony is more expensive but is it worth it? Also I've heard the Sony compared to the iPod shuffle but do I have some control over the shuffle feature?

All questions I am hoping ye can help me find answers to.

Thanks for reading,
    A.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

where did you find the iriver for that price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 quando

Go for the iRiver, they're great, not as 'pretty' as the iPod but personally find the features are better and it's easier to use. I've bought 2 so far, the H140 for myslef a year ago and the H10 for my sister. Also a mate in work just got the H320 and no complaints so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

What? get the Zen Micro (about 220 ) i have one and its got a radio 5 gigs and is tiny, ive ahd no problems with it yet !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Getting the Sony means you have to use their own software for transferring files to the device. It's called Sonic stage and apparantly it isn't very good. (Whatever that means! :p ) I don't know for certain but reports I've seen suggest that music is automatically drm-ed.

The Zen and possibly iRiver (Don't know for sure) use drag n' drop and you don't need any particular software on your pc for transferring files.

This might be important for you.

cheerio
    Howard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

where did you find the iriver for that price?

Apparently in my imagination :-) It's actually available on amazon for 119.00GBP so tis closer to the 200 mark. I might be quoting the 512 price. hmm.

A Zen Micro, that hasn't come up on my searches. Where can it be purchased? 220 may be going just that ickle bit over my budget though.

A.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Not to throw a spanner in the works but I would hold out for this little beauty -

http://reviews.cnet.com/Cowon_iAudio_U2_1GB_Platinum_Black/4505-6490_7-31129769-2.html?tag=glance

Should be available in Ireland in about 6 weeks at around 200 euro. Not cheap but worth it.

Felixdhc, I'll take a look at that as well.

Found some good reviews for the Creative MuVo Micro N200 1GB as well. It's coming in at €150ish from amazon.

I am heading over to the States in a short while. Would I be better off leaving my purchase till over there? Would the prices be that much different over there? I know the euro is strong against the dollar but I'm not sure if I'd be better off buying over here.

Thanks for all yeer advice and help so far.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

He's right about the iAudio stuff, their new range just released has something to fit every budget, Just ordered a X5L myself.

I'd wait till you get to the states, we get ripped off over here on electronics, there can be up over €100 difference on the same product.

The only thing is decide what you want before heading over and see if you can find it for sale there, their prices are cheaper but at a cost of not getting some of the newest releases as soon as us.

Hey all,

Back again, haven't made a purchase.

The IRiver has been getting very bad reviews on amazon so I don't think I'll be buying it. http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002DCJRW/ref=br_lf_ce_7/202-2290027-1404625

Anyone else have the creative zen micro? This player seems to be let down by battery life.

Anyone have an iAudio? This looks the bizz but I would still like to hear back from those who have purchased one.

Thanks,
    A.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

b3t4 wrote:
    Anyone have an iAudio? This looks the bizz but I would still like to hear back from those who have purchased one.
    Lots of info about the iaudio gear over at iaudiophile.net forums.
    There's another thread going here about the iAudio X5 and it's been reviewed here. There still a bit new and a few haven't even been released here yet so people with them are a little thin on the ground as of yet, but that numbers growing.

• Advertisement

Thanks pauln, I had seen the thread about the X5, it's a little bit out of my price range but looks awfully nice. Tis very easy to tempt me to spend too much money :-) It's available at $299.99 equiv to circa €240 from amazon.com.

The IAudio G3 has been getting great reviews (what I like to see) and I might go with that one.

Thanks for helping me narrow down my options. I've been wanting to get a mp3player for quite some time and have kept putting it off.

A.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

If you are going to hold out for iAudio and buy it here it will be at least three weeks if not more before they are available. The models coming in are the iAudio 5 (256mb, 512MB, 1GB), U2 (256MB, 512MB, 1GB), G3 (256MB, 512MB, 1GB) and the X5 in all sizes except the 60GB which is a few more weeks away. The PMP with a 4" TFT is coming too but dont know price or date yet. If you can speak French here are some details and images!

http://www.generationmp3.com/index.php/2005/03/13/460-cebit-2005-presentation-du-a2-futur-pmp-diaudio

Advertisement