Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 details

Options
  • 17-05-2005 7:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭

Cause reading through 23 pages of idle chatter is painful. I thought I should start a clean PS3 thread. :D

ps3.jpg

ME0000570926_2.jpg

ps3-2.jpg

pad.jpg

#

CPU:
    - PowerPC-base core @3.2GHz
    - 1 VMX vector unit per core
    - 512KB L2 cache
    - 7 x SPE @3.2GHz
    - 7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
    - 7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE (1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy)
    - total floating point performance 218 GFLOPS
    #

GPU:
    - RSX @550MHz
    - 1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
    - Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
    - Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines
    #

Sound: Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-base processing)
    #

Memory:
    - 256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
    - 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz
    #

System Bandwidth:
    - Main RAM: 25.6GB/s
    - VRAM: 22.4GB/s
    - RSX: 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
    - SB: 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)
    #

System Floating Point Performance: 2 TFLOPS
    #

Storage:
    - HDD: Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1
    - I/O: USB 2.0, Front x 4, Rear x 2
    - Memory Stick: standard/Duo, PRO x 1
    - SD: standard/mini x 1
    - CompactFlash: (Type I, II) x 1
    #

Communication:
    - Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
    - Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11 b/g
    - Bluetooth: Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)
    #

Controller:
    - Bluetooth (up to 7)
    - USB2.0 (wired)
    - Wi-Fi (PSP)
    - Network (over IP)
    #

AV Output:
    - Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
    - HDMI: HDMI out x 2
    - Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
    - Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1
    #

Disc media:
    - CD: PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)
    - DVD: PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, PLAYSTATION 3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
    - Blu-ray Disc: PLAYSTATION 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

Killzone:
    sspreviewkillzone027iq.jpg

Formula 1:
    sspreviewf1013ez.jpg

Some actual pictures of the unit:

1116292002.80721.jpg

1116292153.12774.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Good post, first i've seen of the ps3 now! Good job.

And jesus, that Killzone screenie looks fucking unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The joypad looks hideous - like a really poorly thought out third party jobbie. Can't say I find the game line-up too inspiring either. Killzone 2, F1 2006, FIFA 2006, Metal Gear Solid 4, Devil May Cry 4, Tekken 6 and Gran Turismo 5? I hope Sony have some fresher ideas up their sleeves.

The joypad looks hideous - like a really poorly thought out third party jobbie. Can't say I find the game line-up too inspiring either. Killzone 2, F1 2006, FIFA 2006, Metal Gear Solid 4, Devil May Cry 4, Tekken 6 and Gran Turismo 5? I hope Sony have some fresher ideas up their sleeves.

If that Killzone plays as good as it looks, then originality is going on the backburner for the launch titles and rightly so!

After the initial WOW factor, the more original and fresh games will seep through in large numbers.

But for now, all we want to see is the Raw power this baby can deliever!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Couple more shots of it. Its very ugly imo, worse than the new xbox, the controller really looks terrible.

PS3%20-%20front%20with%20PS3%20logo.jpg
    PS3%20-%20vertical%20front.jpg

PS3%20-%20vertical%20top%20.jpg

PS3controller.jpg

PS3%20-%20horizontal%20front.jpg

PS3%20-%20vertical%20back.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

OMFG :eek:
    Watch the killzone trailer

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1668

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It certainly looks the part - if they've learned from the mistakes of Killzone they could have something special on their hands. Don't suppose there's any word on when we'll see the PS3 here? I can't see it before next summer given Sony's recent history.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It still looks like a radiator and the joypad is hideous.

Put those screenies are gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

was gonna hold back from any ps3 thread that popped up but ffs > that console looks **** tbqh.

360 is sexier.

....not even gonna comment on the controller.

as for the screens > how many games can claim to look as good as the screens of them??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I think it looks pretty nice. I always thought the PS2 was as ugly as sin.

It looks kind of like a fridge from one of the angles it is at in those photos.

Not too sure about the pad, I'd have to hold it I guess... it just looks a bit too slippy. But I'm glad they've finally come up with a new controller, although it probably wasn't by choice.

Terrible line up of games. I can't see anything on the PS3 interesting me for some time... I didn't bother getting a PS2 until about 2 years in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

That killzone trailer is cool - but is it pre-rendered or actual ingame I wonder...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Joypad is ridiculous.Killzone trailer looks mighty fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Ciaran500 wrote:
    OMFG :eek:
    Watch the killzone trailer

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1668

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Killzone really takes a few biscuits with that... quite the gritty drama.

I cant believe nobody hasnt posted this...

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/finalfantasyvii/media.html

...Just a tech demo but worthy of some consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Dr.Feelgood

Has there been any date marked for release?

This year at all?

I think the machine looks good.

What will microsoft have to say about this XBOX 2??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

killzone 2 looks WOW! but it seems very MOHAA linear scripted dullness in gameplay...

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

Has there been any date marked for release?

This year at all?

I think the machine looks good.

They said spring 2006 it's being released so i'm guessing around end of 2006 before it's here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Joypad certainly doesn't look up to much.
    Wondering what sort of price they will go for?
    It will be usual story
    "PS3 sold out" everywhere as they try to corner the market
    and then start the "panic buying" again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

its ugly tbh and the controller is worse. the white and black versions look a bit better but not much.

someone said that they need to have somethin better up their sleeves other than f106 fifa06 and other newer updates but thats what sells to the retarded public. theyre onto another winner id say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

omg thats the end of Xbox 360 for me, what a beautiful machine and the specs amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

i serously doubt either the xbox360 or the ps3 will meet those specs. they are putting out a max spec. the question is what the standard will be. we all know what happened with ps2.

• Advertisement

Gizzard wrote:
    omg thats the end of Xbox 360 for me, what a beautiful machine and the specs amazing

I've simply given up on the capabilities of machines now, seeing as PC's are always far ahead and will soon be outstripping the next gen consoles, no point getting in a twist over visuals.

I will probably wait awhile to see the launch titles and soon to be released after launch titles and then decide whether to choose Ps3 or Xbox360.

I've a feeling, althought the Ps3 looks amazing, that I'll be sticking to 360 for PD:Z, Hopefully another Halo, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

looks like a sandwich toaster, not pretty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

evad_lhorg wrote:
    i serously doubt either the xbox360 or the ps3 will meet those specs. they are putting out a max spec. the question is what the standard will be. we all know what happened with ps2.

er have you seen the Kill Kone 2 trailer (assuming its not a cut scene), totally amazing, damn you SOny now Im counting the days till PS3

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

When you look at the specs I wonder what the final price will be? A cell processor probably costing at least a couple of hundred per unit. The gpu is next gen Nvidia stuff which would retail on a pc for about 500-600e. That 256mb of ram at 3.2ghz would be quite pricey as well. Another 256mb at 700mhz. Blue-ray disc drive, HD, blue tooth, wifi and all the other bits and pieces. That's some serious hardware. Even if it retails at about 400-500e they will still be making a loss on it i'd say. Ah well they will make it all back on the games.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

BloodBath wrote:
    When you look at the specs I wonder what the final price will be? A cell processor probably costing at least a couple of hundred per unit. The gpu is next gen Nvidia stuff which would retail on a pc for about 500-600e. That 256mb of ram at 3.2ghz would be quite pricey as well. Another 256mb at 700mhz. Blue-ray disc drive, HD, blue tooth, wifi and all the other bits and pieces. That's some serious hardware. Even if it retails at about 400-500e they will still be making a loss on it i'd say. Ah well they will make it all back on the games.

BloodBath

As you said they usually sell the console at a loss. To be honest I wouldn't be suprised if the next gen games had a rrp of €70/75

With the power of the hardware increasing they will have to increase the size of development teams to keep up. That, inflation and people willing to pay for the newest thing on the market will drive prices up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

ps3grill.jpg

Kill zone looks amazing, if they made something that looks that good at the start of the console, can you imagine what sick graphics there will be when the developers master it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The F1 game looks absolutly incredible, the way it moves and all the little details make it look almost exactly like the real thing. I can't see how they could it make it look more real without it actually being real. I can see myself getting a PS3 just for that alone. Well that and the next version of GTA of course ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I think the design of the console is OK, nothing fantastic, but it will do.
    The controller, will be interesting, I would like to try it before I pass judgement (The longer handles are just what I want).

Overall though, the PS3 is ahead for me atm. The games they put up at E3 so far have been much better than the 360's offerings. Of course, this is all after just one day of marketing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I have to point out that there was almost no actual gameplay footage in these trailers.

the Killzone trailer looked amazing, but i have my doubts as to it being gameplay. the DMC4 trailer was a joke,
    Gran Turismo looks like GT4, with very nice backrounds.
    Fight Night 3 was good enough fmv
    Tekken was fmv
    Killing Day looks good, but unreal 3.0 is far better looking, imo.

the only thing that actually really interested me, was Final Aantasy XII, and thats on the PS2.

oh, and the FFVII trailer was funking brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Yeah, I hate it when they try to pass of FMV as in-game. They always do it at E3 too which is annoying. The MotorStorm video was good. Everything the 360 showcased has been done before though.

Advertisement