Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 details

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Killzone looked like gameplay. And I haven't seen the fight night footage but all the reports suggest it was gameplay. There's no reason not to believe it, the specs are right.

Devil May Cry and Tekken weren't very much alright.

While it's easy to just be cynical and dismiss everything, all the first hand reports from games websites have had nothing but great things to say about what they saw, just see eurogamer.net for some very interesting opinions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I cant see Fight Night 3 having been anything other then an intro, but i could be wrong.

and Killzone looked to much like a pre designed set piece. it was too smooth. if it is gameplay, there's no way it was a human player, more likely a computer run demo. but i still say its an intro.

also, all the trailers are on www.gametrailers.com (but its very very slow at the moment)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I know I'm in the minority here but I think the Playstation 3 design looks verrry nice, definetly a step up from the PS2. Only thing is the lettering across the top, screams "Spiderman 2". It's also just not very good...

On the other hand the controller looks hideous, however I guess I'll have to test drive it first. Microsoft definetly win in this department imo, 360 controller looks much nicer.

Haven't gotten the chance to look at any games from both companies but so far Sony have impressed me more than Microsoft tbh. Although not gameplay footage, those shots from the Formula 1 demo left me stunned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

im sure itll be great,
    does look like a george formean grill tho ;)

why are they stuill putting the digital pad in the main thumb spot instead of a stick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

the two clips I've seen looked wayyy to much like FMV for me to be impressed tbh.

killzone up to the FP view was playing like a fmv and the motorcross thing was the same.

overall, a big 'meh' for the ps3 tbh.

looks bigger than the original xbox...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Seems like the killzone footage is just fmv, done by some scottish animation house. Still not confirmed tho, but even still, the unreal 3 footage shown on ps2 was just as impressive, and, in real time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Although not gameplay footage, those shots from the Formula 1 demo left me stunned.
    If you've just seen the screen-shots there's a video clip at the bottom of this page (showcase 1).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

whos thinks that a remake of ff7 would make them buy a ps3?

would defo tip the balance in the ps3 favour for me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not me. Sakaguchi has left and is making games for xbox360 and Square Enix haven't made a decent great game since he left.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Not me. Sakaguchi has left and is making games for xbox360 and Square Enix haven't made a decent great game since he left.

kingdom hearts?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

killzone looks really nice, but Its hard to tell if its a cut scene. if the first person bit isnt a cut scene, then wow... but I'm sceptical because it didn't have the traditional on-screen displays... anyway.
    One thing, the fire effects, explosions and physics (especially of the ship getting blown up at the start) look a bit ropey... I hope they're all still in development because it could hinder a slick looking game.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Chalk wrote:
    why are they stuill putting the digital pad in the main thumb spot instead of a stick?

I honestly thought they'd seize the chance to finally make the anlogue sticks comfortable to use now - unless they don't want to conform to the enemy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I seem to remember the last killzone looking nice too, until you played it and watched as your super soldier gets herded down one bland corridor of textures after another.
    As for the line up, same ol same ol really, nothing surprising or original, and othing without its equivalent on the Xbox360.
    Not much between them, make it easier for EA to sell identical games for both then.
    Heres holding out for the new Nintendo, what we need is some new concepts, in game design and the consoles to facilitate this new gaming era, not just rehashes and refinements of existing IPs and genres.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

AYe, its all going to boil down to the games. The Xbox always had the techno card to play over the PS2 and now that card is gone for MS so its really all about game quality. And while first shots and vids are all good indicators of the technology they have no bearing on how good the game actually is. Only when we have both consoles in various living rooms around the world will we begin to be able to make educated choices - although there will always be sony fanboys and MS fanboys, ok, maybe not MS, Xbox fanboys and the more intelligent variety imo, Ninty Fanboys. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

madrab wrote:
    kingdom hearts?

He was there for most of kingdom hearts and wrote the story (i think).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

screw killzone lookin great it will be just a cack as the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Looks decent enough imho, though a battered rusty toaster would be a leap forward from the PS2 design...
    Spec.s well as said earlier we'll wait and see what the final production model is like. The PS2 had a few phenomenal spec. areas when it was announced and then showed to be hampered by some rather silly bottlenecks (just like the Xbox is hampered by it'sa shared 64mb of memory). One thing did grab me though in the Next Gen. (currently) vapourware specifications: The PS3 has a nice beefy 3.2Ghz PPC core....the Xbox 360 should have 3 of those....Anyway we'll see how it all pans out when they ship.
    Not so impressed by the Killzone2 shots either. I mean they look lovely but current high end PC hardware/game engines are pretty similar. Next gen should look...well...NEXT gen.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Theres no pleasing some people. A lot of the videos and screens are very much next gen and there is nothing currently available on the pc to match it graphically. I don't know what screens you have been looking at.

BloodBath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

the unreal 3.0 engine perhaps?

the next unreal tournament?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

_CreeD_ wrote:
    I mean they look lovely but current high end PC hardware/game engines are pretty similar. Next gen should look...well...NEXT gen.....

Tbh I know what you mean. Nothing Ive seen so far Id class as bad, but at the same time, nothing has wowed me yet. Same as you I thought high end pc gaming when looking at most of the vids.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

BloodBath wrote:
    Theres no pleasing some people. A lot of the videos and screens are very much next gen and there is nothing currently available on the pc to match it graphically. I don't know what screens you have been looking at.

BloodBath

As I've said already bloodbath, these graphics aren't as far ahead of the pack as some people expected, and calling them next gen is a bit much when the current gen of PC's can match them or is just behind them.
    I honestly think graphical capabilities have hit the roof for now, and when I look for a next gen console I wont go for the one with the best graphics I'll go for the one with the best overall realism and most importantly the most original ideas in gaming.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yup, graphics on all the new formats are going to be all sparkly and for the end user anyway there will be no real discernable difference, the developer may have other opinions however.
    Really your choice is two, Xbox/PS3 seem to be aiming for the same consumers with the same games and attempts to colonise the whole multi-media world, single box under your tv kinda thing, so they are freely interchangable as far as I am concerned, same games on each, styles, genres etc. There maybe a hamdful of killer apps on each to differentiate the two but that is all.
    Nintendo could well be the differnet one, aiming for great gaming content instead of concentrating on hitting all of the various extended fuctionality buttons. Lets hope when we eventually see the controller we get an idea of the future of video gaming, like we did when we saw the N64 pad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭goin'_to_the_PS

has a price been set yet

_CreeD_ wrote:
    The PS3 has a nice beefy 3.2Ghz PPC core....the Xbox 360 should have 3 of those.....
    I really wish people would stop saying things like that, the PPC-based core is only a minor part of the cell processor.

Cell Architecture Explained

a final fantasy remake (and i mean a direct copy, with better quality music, and no crap changes) would make me get a ps3 sooner then i plan too.

and stevenmu, you say you wish people would stop saying that the 360's three processors will still be better then the ps3 cell processor. well i wish sony would stop saying that the ps3 is way better then current pc's, since the cpu in a pc is definatly not the most important thing for good looking games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

fairly long time until it will be here. Might stick with the pc for a while.

Kiith wrote:
    and stevenmu, you say you wish people would stop saying that the 360's three processors will still be better then the ps3 cell processor. well i wish sony would stop saying that the ps3 is way better then current pc's, since the cpu in a pc is definatly not the most important thing for good looking games.
    I'm not saying that one will be better than the other, I'm just pointing out that while the Xbox360 is based on 3 PPC cores, the cell processor is something completely different. While it does have a PPC based core, that seems to act more as a controller for the rest of the processing units than a processing unit in its own right. For some reason though, people seem to keep insisting that their achitectures are pretty much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

ya, you have a good point stevenmu. i just find a lot of what sony/microsoft are saying to be too good to believe. i can see both consoles being great, but not as amazingly fantastically super-duper-uber as they say its gonna be.

but i like the joypad...im just not gonna tell you why ;)

• Advertisement

one or 2 attachments to the joypad and it may be a bit "rampent" & might resemble a rabit

:p

Advertisement