Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing WWII decommisioned Thompson?

Options
  • 17-05-2005 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

Hi like the forum on shooting. I have down some target shooting abroad(kind of).

But I have a question.
    What are the legal requirements for bringing a decommisioned WWII Thompson machine gun into the country from France?

I want to mount it on my wall over a used target sheet I brought home from Texas after letting off 100 rounds into it with a Thompson.

Cheers,
    Al.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Well, I've seen a guy display his deactivated WW2 era MG-34 (or MG-42?) and Bren machine guns here in Ireland, so I suppose its possible.

I'm sure someone who has detailed knowledge of the legal hoops to be jumped through to acquire such a thing will come along shortly, but the 'Thompson gun' has as coloured a history here as the 'Armalite', so I'd be afraid that more subjective criteria than just the letter of the law may be brought to bear on your endeavours. :(

Check out the lyrics of Off To Dublin In The Green to see what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Hi Al

deactivated firearms are covered in the fiearms and offencive weapons act. you can have them but by right your local super has to know you have it and grant you a permit. He can attach what ever rules and regs he likes as to storage and can revoke the permit at any time.

I was trying to collect de-acts for awhile, but the DOJ didnt want to really know about the import end of things. I was told that if you could not get a licence for it here, then i could not be taken into the country :mad:

They also wanted anything i wanted to import to be sent for ballistic testing :o how ever they were going to do that ? barrels have an iron welded the lenght of the barrel!!!

I do know alot of people who just ordered them and got them in the post without any problems. but i would not like to go that way and risk loseing my firearms certs or upsetting my local super ;)

Just out of interest, where in france were you getting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

thanks for the info. Not sure if I'll bother now. seems like too much grief.

There are army surplus shops all over Normandy. When I was over there last year doing the bunker tour of france I saw some in St. Marie Eglise. ranging from 400 to 600 euros. But I think it would look cool mounted.

Advertisement