Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pick-up game

Options
  • 17-05-2005 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

If anyone's around this evening, look out for some pick-up games on Parnell street. Thinking about heading down this evening, especially if the weather keeps up like this!

The courts are on the West side of Parnell Street (I think?) just past where it meets Gardiner Street (i.e. the opposite side to the ILAC centre)

Phil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Let us know what the games are like, standards and if they are welcoming to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

Was down from around 7.15 to about 8.45 this evening.

Games were good, friendly guys down there. Couple of good players, couple of OK players, noone terrible, most guys had a decent skill level, noone truly exceptional or anything, so it was easy to join in.

The rings and backboards down there are really harsh though, so it was hard to judge who was a decent shooter. In fairness, they couldn't really have them any other way, otherwise they wouldn't last very long.

The games were completely unstructured, noone playing D, but in fairness how many times you seen guys playing properly on an outside court. There's a lot of skangers around the area, playing soccer and that, but they seem used to people playing ball there and the warden guy who locks up even let us play a little bit longer to finish our game.

All in all, it was good fun, I'll be going down again if the weather keeps up!

Phil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Just curious,I heard there's some nice courts down around amien st.,is this true?? I heard there was a tournament there last summer.

I might pop down to them courts that you were at,where you playing 3v3 or what???

They were playing 3v3 when I went down, a couple of extra players were around and we went 5v5 and then back to 4v4 full court.

There wasn't anyone there under 20/21 either, just a word of warning to anyone who's a bit younger. There's always a greater risk of injury playing with stronger guys when you're younger, so be careful if you do go down!

Went down again this evening, was good fun, will probably go down Saturday as well.

I'll post here Friday evening/night if anyone's interested in coming along

Phil.

• Advertisement

Let us know what time your going down at & i might get a few ofthe lads from eanna to come down.

Probably too late now, but most likely gonna be down Parnell St/Gardiner St about 11 tomorrow. Everyone welcome of course!

Was down there from 1-3, was ok,courts are a bit small for 5v5 & the rings are impossible to shoot on.Still had a good laugh though.

Rings are an absolute pain in the arse, and the backboards are a bit funny as well. I was down from 11 until it started lashing rain and never bothered heading back in after that, cause the weather looked a bit dicey! Was there many down there?

Yeah was about 20-30 people there,majority was asian,some eastern europeans & a team of locals that knew each other.

• Advertisement

D'oh, should have stayed around! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

ive been goin down there for ages now... and used to be down in mt. joy square before it was ruined....

u can get a mixed bag of players down there... a lot of them dress a good game but couldnt hit water fallin off a boat.

the best thing is to get in with a few decent players and try hold the cort for as long as possible.

if the weather gets better ill try to be down a few nights a week and at weekends.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

whoever is going down there some evening, post in advance and Im sure you'll get a few people from boards down.. Id pop over if there were gonna be a few around..

Looking for summer ball by the way, if anyone knows of any competitions or
    tournaments going?

Tox

Anyone want to get a boards.ie posse down there on Sunday evening weather permitting? I haven't played in too fúcking long.

Where is it exactly around Parnell St?

It's at the corner of Cathal Brugha St. & Gardiner St.

See a reasonably decent map here:

http://brassy.net/images/gardiner_street_courts.gif

The Red is roughly where the courts are, and the blue square is where you enter the park. I call them Parnell street courts, but they're actually on the corner of Cathal Brugha street and Gardiner street.

The old adidas streetball courts are around the corner. I've got a poker night so not sure how hairy I'll be on Sunday, but I'd be well up for a game if it's not raining too bad. If the weather is bad, or if the ground is really wet, I'm afraid you won't see me down there. The courts can get slippy there when it's wet and the backboards are bad enough without water on them :)

Phil.

if the weather holds up i might pop down there today after work.... will prob head down there for about 6.30-7ish if anyone fancys it.

Yeah might go down myself at about 7. I'll see how the weather is doing.

Can't make it this evening, but what about 4 or 5 on Sunday?

I'm going to try and make it for Sunday evening if I can. You'll get to see how crap I really am :(
    5pm on Sunday?

• Advertisement

Was anyone there? Played from about 5 until most people were leaving the court, was a bit of a laugh.

coundnt make it but im gonna try get down this week... weather permitting.

going to go down tomorrow

going to go down tomorrow

Played today, from about 5 until after 8. Absolutely awesome day, was some ok games down there, lot of bitching and moaning!

Phil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭hardwoodhero

I used to go down there for a few weeks with Phil Taylor and play. It can be good but there is constant fighting bitching and moaning that ruins games. Players hack you and then call a foul when they dont even touch you. Some of the guys are decent but there can be some assholes there.

We ended up in a big fight there one day and we never went back.

There has to be somewhere else we can play in Dublin. If you give a venue ill organise some of the guys from my site to go and we can get a decent game going minus the bull****.

I used to go down there for a few weeks with Phil Taylor and play. It can be good but there is constant fighting bitching and moaning that ruins games. Players hack you and then call a foul when they dont even touch you. Some of the guys are decent but there can be some assholes there.

We ended up in a big fight there one day and we never went back.

yah there can be a lot of b1tchin alright but you come to expect that when u get such a mixed bag of players..

the thing is to try and get 3 decent teams and rotate it.. but that can be difficult...

sayin that i think ill prob head down there after work... bust out a few flagrants... and cause a fuss.

There has to be at least one decent court in dublin where we can have some games?

was down there lastnight... was OK... nicely quiet... played for an hour or so with some of he asians (not the brutal ones) then went into the hall round the corner for another bit.

What hall is down there Belvedere college?

• Advertisement

nah its a small hall beside the gardiner street courts... i cant think of the name of it... its not big tho... we only ever play 4v4 but its good and its generally invitation only as it would get messy otherwise.

Advertisement