Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballincollig

Options
  • 17-05-2005 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Is anybody on here from Ballincollig?

I lived all my school years there from 1975-1988 and moved out then when we sold our house.

I enjoyed my time there apart for 3-4 years where the local scum bags from Castle Park tried to use me as a punch bag..finally got my own back on one or 2 of them.

Was wondering what it was like to live there now?

I've driven through once or twice in the last few years and I've heard from friends who still have family there that the place has expanded a lot.

I went to the Boys National School and the Community School.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Haven't lived there, but was with a girl from there for 2 years, and my aunt lives there.

The place has a serious scumbag problem atm. Alot of young and violent idiots at night.

Pretty place during the day though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

nesf wrote:
    Haven't lived there, but was with a girl from there for 2 years, and my aunt lives there.

The place has a serious scumbag problem atm. Alot of young and violent idiots at night.

Pretty place during the day though :)
    Once I hit 15 which was about 18yrs ago, I couldn't go from one end of the town to the other without some knacker looking for a fight....most of them congregated around the entrance to Castle Park or near the Community Hall which was unfortunate cos I lived in Muskerry Estate and most of the time was heading towards the Powder Mills or Rosewood.
    What was the girls name? Maybe I know her or her family?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭tirl

Its just as bad at the moment, real drug problem growing again and it's the younger crowd coming up are now the sbags and I'm talking about as young as 11 or 12

• Registered Users Posts: 31,715 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Theres a serious boy racer thing going on there now too..<shudder>
    Lived there till i was 2, have friends who live their though and aren't too fond of the place. Lot of scum apparantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

As a native I can honestly say that these statements are OTT. Yes there are "scumbags" but you just have to learn how to tame them :D (I worked in a shop next to castle park)

"I've driven through once or twice in the last few years and I've heard from friends who still have family there that the place has expanded a lot."

Alot isnt the word for it, it use be a small village now its a large town and still growing.

"it's the younger crowd coming up are now the sbags and I'm talking about as young as 11 or 12" . I blame eminem, snoop dogy dogy dog e.t.c e.t.c.

White hoodies, puffy jackets, nike air max, cap falling off thier head <- really annoying, plastic bag full of cans, earings. Pint of milk in their hand in the morning, can of cider in the eveing.

"Theres a serious boy racer thing going on there now too" arent they everywhere.

Its not as bad as people make out :)
    I've lived there happily for 20 years.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say the statements are OTT. I have also lived there happily all my life and there is a drug culture starting now among the very young teenagers

If there is a drug culture, violent idiots at night, a boy racer thing, knackers, scumbags e.t.c e.t.c then why is everyone moving here?

^whitey^ wrote:
    If there is a drug culture, violent idiots at night, a boy racer thing, knackers, scumbags e.t.c e.t.c then why is everyone moving here?

Ehm.

Thats like me saying this rock keeps tiger's away.

Explain you say?

Well do you see any tigers?

Ah you would like to purchase my rock. Excellent.

nesf wrote:
    Haven't lived there ... The place has a serious scumbag problem atm. Alot of young and violent idiots at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

ah it's not all bad out here. maybe cos i went to school went most of the new scumbags older brothers. as for the car nuts they're grand, hell i'm one of em i suppose but not that you'd guess from the outside of the car, engine all the way, bodykits don't add bhp. there's drugs to be had if you want em i suppose but thats just like anywhere else

• Advertisement

I spent 2 years where I was there twice or more a week and I talk to my aunt who has lived there for 15 years.

I also have not lived in South Hill in Limerick, but I know it's not exactly a nice place to live.

If you do not think that Ballincollig has developed quite a thug scene over the past 7 or 8 years, then you are blind to the truth.

I'm not saying that the place is a concrete jungle of crime and drug abuse, but it does have quite a large anti-social and violent element to it at night. As I said already, it's a lovely place during the day, just take a walk through it at night and you'll see what I mean.

nesf wrote:
    I also have not lived in South Hill in Limerick, but I know it's not exactly a nice place to live.
    Fair point, but we all see the problems with limerick every week on the news. Gangs from limerick dont go in and out of court for no reason.
    nesf wrote:
    If you do not think that Ballincollig has developed quite a thug scene over the past 7 or 8 years, then you are blind to the truth.

There has always been knackers around the place, not just the past seven - eight years, I dont know how you came to that conclusion. Im just saying its not as bad as its made out to be, as I said, I've lived here all my life quite happily.
    nesf wrote:
    ...just take a walk through it at night and you'll see what I mean..

Eh again, I live here. Have often walked/cycled home from work between 12 and 4 in the morning. Never had a bit of trouble.

^whitey^ wrote:
    Fair point, but we all see the problems with limerick every week on the news. Gangs from limerick dont go in and out of court for no reason.

Agreed. South hill is in a totally different league.

^whitey^ wrote:
    There has always been knackers around the place, not just the past seven - eight years, I dont know how you came to that conclusion. Im just saying its not as bad as its made out to be, as I said, I've lived here all my life quite happily.

My veiws are based on what I've been told both by my ex, her parents and my aunt. They all agree that it has worsened in recent years. It isn't crazy bad, but it definitely has worsened.

Or maybe another way of looking at it is, the trouble now is coming from residents rather than "people visiting the area".

^whitey^ wrote:
    Eh again, I live here. Have often walked/cycled home from work between 12 and 4 in the morning. Never had a bit of trouble.

I didn't say you'd have trouble. I said that you'd see it. It isn't mindless violence with every second person being mugged, I know, I never had trouble there. But I've seen a lot of fighting and antisocial behaviour there at night, and in my eyes it has gotten worse over the years. But that is a matter of point of view.

Ballincollig is not a crazy dangerous concrete jungle as i've already said. But it does have problems that have worsened in recent years. I do think they are blown out of proportion sometimes but they exist nonetheless.

nesf wrote:
    I do think they are blown out of proportion sometimes.

Thank you :D

^whitey^ wrote:
    Thank you :D

No problem ;)

Just out of curiosity, where do the people who say they live/lived there actually live? When I was there, there was only about 10 main estates (Coolroe Heights, Inishmore, Inniscarra Heights, Muskerry Est, Castle Park, Rosewood, and a few more I can't think of.)
    The one between Muskerry & the primary school was built sometime in the early 80's.
    The one at the back of Muskerry (Legoland we used to call it was built around same time)
    We moved into Muskerry Estate in 1975 and our street was only just finishing.
    For the first 10yrs, the shop in Muskerry Est was owned by Aidan Kelleher. You will know him now as he owns the newsagents on the Nth Main St called Kellehers.

What is the estate down behind the Powder Mill inn? I believe its no longer called the Powder Mill Inn anymore either?

Where did you go to school?

If you went to the boys Primary, who was the Principal when you were there?
    Sean Cronin was ours but after he retired, Jack Hegarty was next and I think Hickey was his deputy. Donal Conway was my teacher for 5th & 6th class.
    I went to the Community school and Gillian Donnelly was our year master at the time. Dan Murray was the Principal and Slowey the vice but I think Slowey is now the Principal. Kinsella was one of the top teachers in teh community school but he left in the early 80's to be the principal of the new school at the time nearer the village centre.
    I played in the primary school football team and we won the cork city championships in 1983 and played the final in Pairc Ui Chaoimh. Highlight of my school year and scoring a goal in the last 20secs from a pass from Paidi O'Mahoneys older brother. Paidi warmed the bench that day. Paidi was 2 yrs younger than me and I had the pleasure of playing under age football with him on a number of occasions. You could tell at that young age he was going to play for the county team as he was playing with us 2 yrs his senior.
    Oh yeah, and your local councillor Marky O'Keefe played that day also. I started school with him back in 1975 and we went through 13 yrs in the same class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Ninja Turtle

Live in Parknamore myself. It used to be an estate on the edge of the town, but with Greenfields/Classes Lake etc. it's getting more and more central. (Inishmore is the true legoland btw :P)

The Powder Mill Inn? Are you referring to the West Park? Its on the main street right, next to Colaiste Choilm (The secondary school that Kinsella is the principal of)? If thats the place, the estate behind it is Leesdale.

Didn't go to the boys primary or BCS (which they knocked, and built again. Its meant to be class), so I wouldn't have a clue about either of them tbh.

Live in Parknamore myself. It used to be an estate on the edge of the town, but with Greenfields/Classes Lake etc. it's getting more and more central. (Inishmore is the true legoland btw :P)

The Powder Mill Inn? Are you referring to the West Park? Its on the main street right, next to Colaiste Choilm (The secondary school that Kinsella is the principal of)? If thats the place, the estate behind it is Leesdale.

Didn't go to the boys primary or BCS (which they knocked, and built again. Its meant to be class), so I wouldn't have a clue about either of them tbh.
    Ya, thats the place alright. Beside the Colaiste Choilm. Leesdale is the estate I was looking for.
    One of my mates lived there and I went out with a girl from down the back there for a while.

You should arrange to re-visit BCS, it is now all done up, no more of those prefabs, it is now state of the art, really high spec, and the best of equipment etc. A lot of the old teachers are still there! Mr Slowey retired last year due to ill health Kath Lowney is now Principle with Mr Kennelly as Vice.

Ballincollig hasn't got any more problems than any other town in the Country.

tirl wrote:
    You should arrange to re-visit BCS, it is now all done up, no more of those prefabs, it is now state of the art, really high spec, and the best of equipment etc. A lot of the old teachers are still there! Mr Slowey retired last year due to ill health Kath Lowney is now Principle with Mr Kennelly as Vice.

Ballincollig hasn't got any more problems than any other town in the Country.
    There were no prefabs at BCS when I was there...but the whole school looked like a prefab with all those mad colours for the 6 different segments.
    Is it still built on a circular structure?

Kennelly was the Career Guidance Teacher when I was there.

I don't remember Kath Lowney though in my time.

What happened to Slowey? Did he still have his whistle?

• Advertisement

yeah looked like prefabs, i didn't go there as it wasn't built until I was in 2nd year. Mr Slowey was ill for a while, but hung in there until the new school was built and opened. It doesn't look at all like the old one, real state of the art now. I have a child in 1st year and he loves it although they are very very strict.

I think Ms Lowney came form elsewhere. Have a look at www.ratemyteacher.com BCS is there with all the old teachers still in situ Allcock etc etc and that mad French teacher.

tirl wrote:
    yeah looked like prefabs, i didn't go there as it wasn't built until I was in 2nd year. Mr Slowey was ill for a while, but hung in there until the new school was built and opened. It doesn't look at all like the old one, real state of the art now. I have a child in 1st year and he loves it although they are very very strict.

I think Ms Lowney came form elsewhere. Have a look at www.ratemyteacher.com BCS is there with all the old teachers still in situ Allcock etc etc and that mad French teacher.
    Allcock was the metal work teacher...I did woodwork although he was sound.
    Johnny Holland was a pure idiot.
    John Buttimer was a trainee when I was there. We gave him a lot of stick as he started with a pony tail. He gave out more detecntions in his first year than the whole school.
    Can't believe Ionain Ui Mhurchu is still there...she must be about 60 now. I hated her.
    I had Avril Owens for English...along with Gillian Donnelly, there were the 2 strictist teachers I came across.
    Dermot Lucey was the class to go to if you wanted to catch some Z's

Dermot Lucey is year head for 1st years now, seems okay as far as I can see

Johnny Holland is retiring this year, lots of young teachers there now and a lot of them on power trips, would hate to be back at school to be honest.

tirl wrote:
    Dermot Lucey is year head for 1st years now, seems okay as far as I can see

Johnny Holland is retiring this year, lots of young teachers there now and a lot of them on power trips, would hate to be back at school to be honest.
    They must all get their chance every now and again to be year head. Lucey was head back in 1987 for 1st years I think.

We gave 'murp' a really hard time (Johnny Holland)....we had him for building construction. He wasn't that bad, but he was a bit of the old school.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 rubberneck

ah yes..the good oul days..
    Dony Conway playing his recorder..before eugene cosgrove took it one day for the laugh and a tune..and got caught..a belt across the arse was his reward!
    remember sitting on conways knee for little chats.. also a memory..hmm now seems a bit more 'dodgy'!!?? (..michael jacksons prosecuter may get a call! )
    Castleparks finest:Noel O' Regan and his exploits were also an interesting diversion!
    "sir..i didn't do nuttin..sir!"..detention and a visit by his mad mother followed!

As for BCS..sloweys 'get in a line' order following the whistle and then a trawl thru the bushes beside the gym like a tracker hunting out errant smokers.."give me your journel!"

ever dodged up the short cut for a ciggie or to 'go on the hop' for the day?

i could go on..and probably will..again soon!

now living in oz..better weather although came back recently and agree with most posts above..is it maturity and awareness or just that the place really has gone to the dogs!

knocking the wall thru the village is a mistake! : (

later 'colligites

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Roche

I moved in 98 - had my run in's with Castle Park and parts of Inishmore too. I went to BCS too and I hear the whole town has multiplied. It would be trippy to go back and see my old house. I hated BCS because thre was a serious lack of 90 degree angles! Teachers like Owens and A.O'Sullivan perpetually screamed at me - if I saw them now!! Failed Owens French class and then I later went to live,work,and study in France. Half day wednesday's were pretty cool. Had my share of report cards too usually from Buttimer's Irish class. He would flirt with the girls and pretend he was a rocker!! Long live Woody - liked her class the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 kashi

I was in first year in 1987 and Dermot Lucey was my year head. He was ok, and I never got caught for being in trouble!

Yes Ballincollig has gotten rough, but in fairness, if you go looking for trouble you'll find it. I worked there for years, and rarely got any trouble. Although some of the young kids drove me crazy, but they never scared me.

My brother lived in Leytonstone in London, which is one of the roughest parts of London, and he said it's gotten rough! I think it looks worse than it is really though. There are still some really nice people in Ballincollig. The w*nkers are everywhere, not just Ballincollig!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 rubberneck

the place always reminded me of a halting site! now its a empty field, completely demolished..

i was in the same year.. Lucey and his obsession with short hair and conforming shoes.. the Third Reich was more lenient!

Still..happy days upsetting Ma Walsh, Mrs Lennon and Ann-Marie Daly!

Brid, Ciaran, Eanna, Fiachra and Grainne?...i think!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 kashi

I was in Eanna.........what class were you in rubberneck? We had the dime bar days.......and I think there was a sunglasses day too!! How we didn't drive the teachers to distraction is beyond me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Ballincollig isnt half as bad as it was when i was growing up there.

But now you have this crowd called the CPG's (Castle Park Gang) I couldn't believe it when my little sister told me .. rotfl ..

I live in the city but visit the parents every so often, I did get hassle one night walking down to the pub, but it was a quick f*ck off when they realised we weren't having any of it they moved off pretty quick.

Its alright like, but i wouldnt live there for love nor money

Advertisement