Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballincollig

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

Great memories reading through this. I left the place in '92 (Was in 1st year in '89-'90....Italia 90!). Returned regularly until about '96 and then life took over and never had a chance to go back properly. Not sure how it's changed now, but it was a great place to live back in those days. Of course there were a few troublemakers around. But every town had them. And chance are, they were in your class or something in Primary school and they left you alone. Sure, it's unrecognisable now. I was in Rang Aoife at the time. Very much borderline Brid though. In fact, if I stayed longer, I am sure I would have been in put in Brid! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Digging up old threads FTW!

Ballincollig is an example of urban sprawl.

1.take one long road, add lots and lots of housing developments both public and private, unplanned of course

2. ensure nothing else is built vis a vis community facilities for a long time, or at the very least make sure they are inadequate for a growing suburb

3. eventually the state and infrastructure will catch up, re: Ballincollig bypass and forthcoming local bus service, but only after lots of complaining and congestion (and diverting sources from elsewhere)

4. build a shopping centre, the true coming of age development all burbs have to have

5. et viola! you have a fully functioning new burb, with it comes all associated benefits of Burb living, good/bad areas, inadequate policing, awful planning, inadequate social infrastructure and anonymity that greets any visitors

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

rubberneck wrote: »
    ah yes..the good oul days..
    Dony Conway playing his recorder..before eugene cosgrove took it one day for the laugh and a tune..and got caught..a belt across the arse was his reward!
    remember sitting on conways knee for little chats.. also a memory..hmm now seems a bit more 'dodgy'!!?? (..michael jacksons prosecuter may get a call! )
    Castleparks finest:Noel O' Regan and his exploits were also an interesting diversion!
    "sir..i didn't do nuttin..sir!"..detention and a visit by his mad mother followed!

As for BCS..sloweys 'get in a line' order following the whistle and then a trawl thru the bushes beside the gym like a tracker hunting out errant smokers.."give me your journel!"

ever dodged up the short cut for a ciggie or to 'go on the hop' for the day?

later 'colligites
    Class rubberneck.. I remeber Noel O'Regan. You were 2 years behind me then. Johnny his older brother was in my year when he showed up. Feck, how many Regans were there
    Mary & Martin were in the year ahead of me but I'd say Martin was held back a few years judging by the fact he had a beard in 3rd year
    Conway was fond of the top of the class chats alright

kashi wrote: »
    I was in Eanna.........what class were you in rubberneck? We had the dime bar days.......and I think there was a sunglasses day too!! How we didn't drive the teachers to distraction is beyond me!

I think I was in Brid

I thought it was Time bars and sausage rolls in the cafeteria?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 owen275

Lex, you were in my year in BCS and I lived in Muskerry Est. I lived on Maple Lawn how about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

I gotta say I enjoyed reading this thread :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 dob1234

BCS has good staff and mostly good students with the odd few rough ones (but thats in every school)
    some old teachers are still there, Ni Mhurchu, Waterman, Buttimer, Owens, A'O Sullivan, JOC, Nally and AM Daly to name a few, I left 5 years ago and I have good memories of the place

Ballincollig is note as bad as people say, there is 1 or 2 rough areas but 90& of the town is v.good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

an 8 year old thread, with the last post (prior to today) being over 3 years ago :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Corks answer to Tallaght or Blanchardstown.Former village that has now grown into a huge suburb with little or no planning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I grew up there, remember the oriel when it was d'oriel. Was at scoil eoin and BCS ( Danker was the principal in 1st year, Slowey for the rest of my time there).
    There were worse places to grow up, used to cycle through the regional park a lot, head down to the castle and close enough to town.
    Been gone nearly 7 years now, but head back often enough to see the family. I barely recognize the place with the new development in the Main Street and the houses all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 23 rubberneck

You sound like someone i used to know...;)

I did mostly the same thing. Cycled everywhere on the trusty mountain bike and hung out in the castle after making my way thru the dump at the front.

Now gone overseas for over 11 years and was just back last month for 2 weeks yet again. Place no longer feels like the Ballincollig I grew up in.

Walked into the old BOI bank on the main street to find it a thrift shop!:P

Roundabout below at where the L&N used to be gone and turned into a nightmare set of lights which take an age to change.

Place feels soulless, another generic urban centre...

The link right thru to tunnel from EMC is a great addition though. I actually got lost heading out to Ovens Bar for lunch one day though, with the new configuration. You know you've been gone a while when something like that happens in your home town :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Was in same class as some of the posters here. Scoil Eoin from 79 to87. BCS till 92. I was bred born and reared in muskerry. Was said to be the biggest estate in the village for years. Anyone remember getting the fruity smell frm Topps when going to school in the morning? Finally left in 2003 just as things were changing big time. I pass through the place from time to time. It's still busy despite what some people say about ring roads and by passes outside towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jason healy

Hey anyone here know me. Lived in innishmore untill 88 b4 moving to England. .went to the boys school and bcs. When i first moved there innishmore had only th 44 houses on the right and apart from the bcs all the rest was just a big field. Topps was there of course right outside my bedroom window!!! Would be great to hear from anyone who remembers me. Can remember the place as a village back then but over the years dont recognise the place much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Hey anyone here know me. Lived in innishmore untill 88 b4 moving to England. .went to the boys school and bcs. When i first moved there innishmore had only th 44 houses on the right and apart from the bcs all the rest was just a big field. Topps was there of course right outside my bedroom window!!! Would be great to hear from anyone who remembers me. Can remember the place as a village back then but over the years dont recognise the place much.

Is that you Jason? alot has changed in Ballincollig since. John Spilliance sums it up nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 codonovan64

I came to live in Ballincollig in 1975. I went to the boys school when I first arrived. Can anyone remember the teachers names?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 theirish

Mr Daly . Ms McSweeney . Mr o Shea .

Any more lads

Let's keep this thread moving

theirish wrote: »
    Mr Daly . Ms McSweeney . Mr o Shea .

Any more lads

Teachers in Boys national school by any chance?

Teachers in Boys national school by any chance?

Mr Hickey (since jailed as a pedo)

Mr Kelly ("Killer Kelly", a right mean b@stard!)

Mr Hegarty (became principal after Cronin retired)

Mr Conway (tall af and had him for 5th and 6th. Sound character imo)

All Scoil Eoin teachers.

Mr Hickey (since jailed as a pedo)

Mr Kelly ("Killer Kelly", a right mean b@stard!)

Mr Hegarty (became principal after Cronin retired)

Mr Conway (tall af and had him for 5th and 6th. Sound character imo)

All Scoil Eoin teachers.

My teachers from infants up(79-87)were
    Infants Mrs O Leary
    Snr Infants Mr Hegarty (dark curly hair and beard)
    1st Ms Murray became Mrs Martin red hair and wore a foam surgical collar.
    2nd Mr Daly his first class in scoil eoin
    3rd Mr o Connell
    4th Mr o Shea
    5th&6th Mr Conway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Scoil Eoin
    From about 82 onwards
    J Infants Ms oNeill (cranky)
    S Infants Ms Appleby
    1st Ms Cronin (principles daughter)
    2nd Ms o Neill (different O'Neill)
    3rd same as above
    4th leo hickey
    5th Mr Daly

My teachers from infants up(79-87)were
    Infants Mrs O Leary
    Snr Infants Mr Hegarty (dark curly hair and beard)
    1st Ms Murray became Mrs Martin red hair and wore a foam surgical collar.
    2nd Mr Daly his first class in scoil eoin
    3rd Mr o Connell
    4th Mr o Shea
    5th&6th Mr Conway.

Crazy, we were in same classes all the way up! Who is that? I have a good memory on most in my classes. Pm me.

I went on to BCS and Brid in first year. Half the primary classes went to Collaiste Colm on the other side of the village.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

theirish wrote: »
    Ms McSweeney
    Any more lads

I had her in second class, absolute bitch use to beat us black and blue and the principal knew about it and never did anything about it.

I had her in second class, absolute bitch use to beat us black and blue and the principal knew about it and never did anything about it.

My father went to primary school in Timoleague and I have some recollection of him saying that she was teaching there when he was there. Yrs seem a bit off though. Then again I could be waffling. What sort of age would she be back in the 80s? She would catch kids by the ear and give a good twist and a yank. Another old school cxxx for sure.

My father went to primary school in Timoleague and I have some recollection of him saying that she was teaching there when he was there. Yrs seem a bit off though. Then again I could be waffling. What sort of age would she be back in the 80s? She would catch kids by the ear and give a good twist and a yank. Another old school cxxx for sure.

She used to have a tape recorder to march the class in after lunch break. A right domineering type. Remember the big earrings.

Principal Cronin taught my mother in Waterford and used to beat her and all the siblings. He knew our history so used to taunt myself and the brother when we would line up at the shop for stationary. A real masochistic type. Glad to see him retire and Hega take over.

O Connell hit me once in third class with a metal ruler across the knuckles for no real reason, my dad stormed over the next day and took him outside the class and basically made him **** his pants when confronted, like any true bully and made him apologize to me and realize that I wasn't one to be ****ed with. He was nice as pie to me the rest of the year. Thanks Dad!

Meanwhile this scumbag finally got his comeuppance years too late:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/retired-teacher-leo-hickey-jailed-for-sexual-abuse-my-life-stopped-when-i-went-into-this-classroom-788953.html

https://www.southernstar.ie/news/victim-wants-to-know-who-let-leo-hickey-abuse-again-4140423

Always remember him with the tin whistle and obsession with Irish music.

A distraction the pupils used in class was to get him talking about the good oul 'as gaeilge' days and he'd ramble on for hours.

Does anyone recall an incident in O Sheas class 4th class involving an older pupil causing a head injury to a chap in our class. He spent nearly 3 days persecuting him. Made him kneel down and keeping his head in the bin. Lifting him up and suspending him from the coat hooks. Bringing in other teachers and making a spectacle of him. Looking back now that was well out of order. There was a bad streak in O Shea too. He had a "sawn off" pool cue that you could get a belt of.
    He had some small electric kettle that he would boil to make tea just before break times. Driving a pig lorry during the holidays as well.

Does anyone recall an incident in O Sheas class 4th class involving an older pupil causing a head injury to a chap in our class. He spent nearly 3 days persecuting him. Made him kneel down and keeping his head in the bin. Lifting him up and suspending him from the coat hooks. Bringing in other teachers and making a spectacle of him. Looking back now that was well out of order. There was a bad streak in O Shea too. He had a "sawn off" pool cue that you could get a belt of.
    He had some small electric kettle that he would boil to make tea just before break times. Driving a pig lorry during the holidays as well.

I remember once he flung a chair at Ian Brolly and cut his lip. O Shea knew he ****ed up and was suddenly trying hard to make it up to him. He was always snorting and coughing up **** into old hankies too. A real rough character, god knows how many got teaching qualifications back then...

I did learn all the counties and rivers of Ireland in his class, I'll give him that ;)

I remember once he flung a chair at Ian Brolly and cut his lip. O Shea knew he ****ed up and was suddenly trying hard to make it up to him. He was always snorting and coughing up **** into old hankies too. A real rough character, god knows how many got teaching qualifications back then...

I did learn all the counties and rivers of Ireland in his class, I'll give him that ;)

Making myself and a few others stand up at the front of the class when we were practising music as we we so bad. Singing Amhran na bFiann and him with his ear in my face listening. Jesus.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hega knew about as well, parents coming up to him every morning complaining, my own mother was up and down there few times a week, one morning she says "Don't you ever bring your mother up here again" auld witch wish I had reported her.
    Meanwhile this scumbag finally got his comeuppance years too late:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/retired-teacher-leo-hickey-jailed-for-sexual-abuse-my-life-stopped-when-i-went-into-this-classroom-788953.html

https://www.southernstar.ie/news/victim-wants-to-know-who-let-leo-hickey-abuse-again-4140423

Always remember him with the tin whistle and obsession with Irish music.

A distraction the pupils used in class was to get him talking about the good oul 'as gaeilge' days and he'd ramble on for hours.

That scumbag was still there when I was there, again hega knew what was going on and did nothing about it, Kelly who taught 4th class was another gob ****e of a teacher, I remember he did something to some fella's son that was in his class and his father came up and gave a belt into the face and the guards were called, around 93 or 94 I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Please be aware that your comments are public and can be considered libellous/slander.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Hega knew about as well, parents coming up to him every morning complaining, my own mother was up and down there few times a week, one morning she says "Don't you ever bring your mother up here again" auld witch wish I had reported her.

That scumbag was still there when I was there, again hega knew what was going on and did nothing about it, Kelly who taught 4th class was another gob ****e of a teacher, I remember he did something to some fella's son that was in his class and his father came up and gave a belt into the face and the guards were called, around 93 or 94 I think.

If I remember correctly, the father of the child held him in the class room after 3pm and gave him a few smacks.

No harm..

There were some pricks back then, lucky I didn't have any of them.. I did however have leo for a year, nothing happened to me, but I was asked by a Garda if anything had happened to me.

Lucky for me, I was an unattractive child.

Advertisement