Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First shot of the Nintendo revolution

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Pictures not working....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

cant see it cos of web filtering at work.
    can you host it on boards or eircom or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

This should solve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

bah,
    thats not a great pic,
    any specs yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

2 or three times more powerful than the cube..??!!...oh crap they've lost already!!

WHERE'S THE REVOLUTION?!!
    (it's been put down by sony government forces...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

I feel sad inside, with the new capabilities of the competition has Nintendo jumped for another audience?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Why does massive processing power make a console a winner or loser. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Why does massive processing power make a console a winner or loser. :rolleyes:
    It seems that SONY and Microsoft are taking out all the stops to make realism a big thing this time around and if thats the new bandwagon then Nintendo might fall behind, sure Nintendo have a lot of ingenuity behind their name and that and many other factors made me buy a Gamecube.

Id love to see how this pans out, but for now im on the fence, Splinters Ahoy!

It can download older games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

Revolution will be "two-to-three times more powerful than GameCube," according to Nintendo, which also acknowledges that the next-generation race isn't solely about new technologies. By contrast, Microsoft's Xbox 360 console is 13-15 times more powerful than the first, according to the publisher. And Sony says it's PlayStation 3 is roughly 35 times more powerful than PlayStation 2.

Remember tech sheets about how PS2 could pull off 77 million polys per second and the Gamecube only 12m? Rembember the actuall visual difference between the games on each console? Nintendo is never one to toot it's own horn in the graphics department, but has always been up there at the top every generation, I really wouldn't start to get worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Hmmm seems like Nintendo are pretty screwed tbh. It's up against 2 monsters of machines and it's only 3-4 times more powerful than the cube compared to the ps3 being 35 times more powerful than a ps2. They more than likely won't have great 3rd party support either. Oh oh unless the revolution has something amazing up it's sleeve and actually warrants the revolution name then it looks like Nintendo are in trouble.

BloodBath

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

BloodBath wrote:
    Hmmm seems like Nintendo are pretty screwed tbh. It's up against 2 monsters of machines and it's only 3-4 times more powerful than the cube compared to the ps3 being 35 times more powerful than a ps2. They more than likely won't have great 3rd party support either. Oh oh unless the revolution has something amazing up it's sleeve and actually warrants the revolution name then it looks like Nintendo are in trouble.

Well 35 times more powerful is an absolute joke. It's just more Sony marketing bull****. the 3-4 times more powerful is far more realistic and from the screenshots I'd say the PS3 is about the same as well. As some one mentioned about Sony talking ridiculous numbers for polygons while nintendo was far more realistic during this generation. You only had to play the games to see the GC annihilated the PS2. I'd say that all 3 will be very evenly matched with the PS3 the more powerful (but again this could be Sony bull****ting about the Cell).

I'd say it's not far off the mark tbh. From the specs I wouldn't be surprised. The gpu is as powerful as 2 6800 ultras. 256mb of ram at an amazing 3.2ghz and another 256 at 700mhz. Then the cell on top of this. Fair enough sony do tend to bull**** a bit when it comes to marketing but it actually seems like they have the specs to back it up this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

On the subject of The thread title, thats about as uninspiring and boring a picture as anyone could possibly release.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Indeed. The Cell sounds like it could be this generation's Emotion Engine.

I seriously doubt it with the amount of money ibm, sony and toshiba have pumped into it. Intel and amd may have some competition.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Looks pretty enough. I really don't get people moaning about the machine's specs given it will be a long time before developers have the skills to get with the full power of the PS2 or, more importantly, the money required to develop these games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Yeah, I think Sony have the goods to back up thier mouth this time (Still they talk a lot of crap at times), they may fall slightly short, but it won't be as disastrous as the emotion engine.

On-Topic: That picture of the Revolution, and the Revolution itself, look quite, well.... UNrevolutionary. I hope that picture was leaked, otherwise Nintendo got off on the wrong foot IMO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

So whats so revolutionary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Lets all calm down a seoncd, no actual tech specs have been released for revolution, all this '2-3 times as powerful as a GC' is just banter. Wait until youve got solid evidence of what it can do before you make a decision. But so far, imo, Sony are waaay out in front.

Revolution will be "two-to-three times more powerful than GameCube," according to Nintendo, which also acknowledges that the next-generation race isn't solely about new technologies.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

New Hi-Res pics of it - MY GAWD IT'S TINY!!!

http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/615/615030/imgs_1.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

An Xbox Live-style online service is in the works, and it'll offer downloadable versions of almost all the games in Nintendo's back catalogue

Downloadable back catalogue sounds pretty good, if done properly of course. Do you think they could mean Gamecube games too?

And 2-3 times more powerful sounds pretty poor, remember that this will be the last next-gen console out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

That's incredibly small, definetly the nicest looking of the three imo. Looks like the Revolution name is confirmed aswell, wonder what the secret will be?

Press conference is in half an hour (4:30pm). Hopefully there'll be some new details then.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think it looks slick. I prefer it to the xbox...i think. I am so indecisive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

It looks far nicer than the 360 imo, but I'd still opt for the xBox. I wonder how all these new consoles will be priced?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I can't access ign for some reason :(

can someone please post the direct pictures?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a beautiful little console. I hope the downloadable back catalogue works like the chinese N64 variant they released a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

ok its tiny. thats good.
    but modern top of the range cpus and gpus typically run hot and need really good cooling so either:
    a) "Revolution" also applies to a new way Nintendo have come up with to keep its chips cool enough to fit into such a small device
    b) it doesnt need huge cooling (ala xbox360) cause its sucks tech wise and the cpu and gpu arent nearly as advanced as ps3 and xbox360

me thinks its b seeing as how they're saying its only 2-3 times more powerful that the cube...

Advertisement