Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request : Advice on buying projector for home cinema

Options
  • 17-05-2005 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭

Thinking of buying a projector for home cinema use. Can anybody offer any pointers about what to look for etc.
    I'm totally new to the projector scene, so even the most basic info would be great. I'm willing to spend around the 1,500 mark for a pretty decent one.
    Also - does the screen type make a big difference ? I'm looking for one that I can attach to the ceiling, that can roll upwards when not in use - are they expensive ?
    Thanks !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

I don't know if I can help much, don't have one but from what I hear the screens can make all the difference, some screens can cost more then some projectors.

The price of a replacement blub too might be something to watch, the last I looked they were running up around the €100's.

After that I'm not much use, someone here will know better. I'm interested in hearing more about what's out there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I got the Infocus X2 from Amazon. Around 800 Eurons, it has a max resolution of 800x600. Now, before you all tell me that's crap, believe me, it is far from crap. I am writing this using the laptop plugged into the projector. It was voted the best value projector in PCW magazine.

I cannot complain about DVD's or TV, both are amazing on it. And a word on the screen - I am using nothing more than a wall. And, it's brown. Everyone told me I was mad and that it wouldn't work, but it is fine. Granted, dark scenes can sometimes be a little hard to see during the day, but at night, with the lights out, you really can't beat it.

Make sure and check what inputs the projector has. Mine has the RCA (red,white and yellow), s-video and RGB. It also has a speaker, a remote control and a monitor out. I would highly recommend a projector with a remote, because if you mount it high on the ceiling, you don't want to be jumping/climbing up every time you need to adjust something.

Edit: forgot to mention Media Portal. If you are hooking your PC up to the projector, make sure and check out this piece of software (on sourceforge.net). It's free and it turns your PC into a Media Center (like Microsoft's Media Center version of Windows). It's incredible.

Advertisement