Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Britton Insurance

Options
  • 17-05-2005 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

Heres the deal. My insurance is up on 24th of June. I have 2 years NCB and am 26. I drive a 03 1.2 punto. I also have my Boyfriend down as a named driver on the car. He has one years driving exp. I have had my full licence for a year and he recently passed his test. The cheapest quote fully comp I can get is from Quinn and that is 728. I was with Quinn for the first year but decided to stay away as like many people on here I was very wary of their policy. I can get fully comp off Britton for 902 but if i do an ignition course I can get it for 535. Has anyone done the course with Britton and would you recommend it and how much did this course cost?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

The course isn't with Britton. Britton are a broker and that quote of 535 is from Hibernian, who want you to do the the ignition course. Haven't done it myself so can't give you details on what it's like. Prices should be listed on the hibernian website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭lilulila

thanks a million. Is there anyone out there who has done this course if i could get some feedback. Is it hard? Does it take all day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

It takes a full day - and theres no guarantee that you will pass. If you have to take a day off work - its not worth it - unless no other insurance quote is coming anywhere close. The course costs....cant remember - but as long as you show up as scheduled, they refund it to you. Basically, they take your credit card details - and only charge it if you dont show up.

Have you tried FBD insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I have done the course, it is a full day, at no cost. If you can drive safely you will pass. First half of the day is theory and watching video and discussing them.

The second half (after a free lunch) is:

20 minute drive - left up to your own devices.

The instructor then explains a few points about your driving, will ask you to make a reverse park and then he/she will drive for about 20mins commentating on their driving.

You then get another 20 mins of driving to show what you have learned and that is really what you are guaged on.

They are really looking for you anticipating hazards and situations way in advance and how you react to them

For people who deserve the cheaper insurance it is a simple test.

I havent tried fbd yet do they do online quotes? The ignition should stand to me then from now on for future quotes. Quinn direct offered me 728 but a bit hesitant to go with them as i did not like my initial policy with them. Felt undercovered really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I thought FBD only gave motor policies to people who already have other policies (farm, premises, etc) with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

FBD can quote anybody, I did have my first policy with them, they were cheaper than anybody else, but then I did the ignition and it reduced the premium from 1500 to about 500. Can't argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

Instead of the 1 day course there is also simply the test, it's takes about 45 mins & they usually meet you in city west, you should give that a go. You need to use their car though. It's fairly formal but if your not nervous you'll be fine, they just drive you around a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

i did the ignition 2 years ago, just after passing my driving test. I had no driving experience at this time, just lessons before the test. I got a 30% discount from hibernian for doing it.

I'd recommend doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

EH!

BE VERY AWARE..........they quote you a price.....then tell you that you can get it down a few hundred quid if u do the ignition course!

But what they dont tell you is that u have to get a Merit in the test to get it down to the lowest price and a Credit to get it somewhere half way! And if u just make the pass you pay for the quote they gave u first less the cost of the course!!!

Best way for cheap insurance is to do the Advanced Driving Course with the company that run the ignition course.....cant remember the exact name of the ppl that do it............but if u pass that - its quite tough - you get 70% of ur premium with Hibernian! (and i think most other insurers recognise it too)

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I havent tried fbd yet do they do online quotes?
    No - they're not setup for online quotes but you can get a quote from them on this number:

1850-617617
    I thought FBD only gave motor policies to people who already have other policies (farm, premises, etc) with them?
    No - they have gone mass market - they will take your money :)
    Since I returned to Ireland three years ago, every year I get the yellow pages out - and ring all the main insurance companies. Its worked out that FBD have been consistently the cheapest. The only exception was the first years policy where hibernian were 1200/year as opposed to FBDs 1300/year - but hibernians quote was based on passing the ignition test which I didnt even though the assessor said my driving was fine (figure that one out). Hibernian also tend to have a higher excess.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I sat the Hib Ignition last year. It's relatively simple, same as whippet described above. It costs €225 (at least that's what it cost at the time). You do get the money back unless you fail to turn up without enough notification, or if you pass, and go to another insurance company. In other words, you get refunded the money if you fail, or if you pass and take up a Hibernian policy.

Sounds fair enough. Thanks for the help. I have booked the test for next thursday and they have dropped the quote to 435 so fingers crossed i do well enough. ill defo turn up, at least to get my money back lol :D thanks a mill for your help and ill let ye know how i get on

Advertisement