Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's everyone doing for the Summer?

Options
  • 17-05-2005 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

Eh well I'm sarting work on Monday and have Sociology repeat exams in August....... exciting heh. Wooooo :confused:

If anyone else Summer sounds as boring as mine I give you a massive online hug out of sympathy*

*disclaimer: only if you are female as if I gave a bloke a massive hug it may ruin my street cred

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

*disclaimer: only if you are female as if I gave a bloke a massive hug it may ruin my street cred

Oh thank cr@p. :)

Anyway, Plan for the Summer (or Operation Progress):

1) Get job
    2) Get HCH to teach me to play guitar
    3) Study for Repeats (please god just Politics)
    4) Begin work on HCH's flick. Buff up for the part (I'm too weedy as it stands), work out choreography, stance (apparently this is where I'm not so good, according to him), grow beard to Kings-of-Leon's-drummer proportions.
    5) Sit repeats, pass (yaaay)
    6) Film flick
    7) After hectic Summer, quit job and go on 8 month holiday courtesy of parents in the lush surroundings of Belfield :D

How's that for a slice of fried gold? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

1) Work, work, work... (I'm in work right now so i really can't say it's that much of a b!tch, but I'm looking at only getting weekends and bank holidays off for the next 4 months)

2)Pollute my body and break my brain with all the drink and drugs I can get my hands on

3)Sit repeats or go to Spain (or possibly neither if other people have to sit repeats, or if we turn out to be too lazy to book a holiday, or if I can't get time off work... yeah, I'm almost certainly not going to Spain).

4)Go to Oxegen (see 2)

5) trhow a couple of parties (see 2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Well, my plan is to go inter-railing in August, but this depends clearly on my results and my friends results. Stupid repeats! We havent planned anything for it yet either so it probably wont end up happening, stupid unorganisedness! So I'll probably just be working for the summer in my really crappy job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Heading home to Limerick-cant wait at this stage!Its definaatly repeats for me cos i deffered some of my exams-seemed like a good idea at the time-now kicking myself for doing it!Am just gonna chill out,study and go to the odd gaa match-go on Limerick!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

i was gonna go inter-railing too but it fell through, but we're going to new-york for 5 days so it's not all bad :)
    have a month of work to put in before that though... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Working for the summer, and living on almost nothing to make sure I have enough money to pay my fees in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Working for the summer, and living on almost nothing to make sure I have enough money to pay my fees in September.
    Santa Barbara, California 4th June until 7th September.

Giggity Giggity...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

SebtheBum wrote:
    3) Study for Repeats (please god just Politics)

if u end up failing politics dont leave it till the last minute to start studying for the repeats in august as i did last year and as aresult have just finished repeating the year another thing that might put the ****s up ya to study is that last year 110people sat the repeat in autumn 85% failed!!!!!

Goin to new york this summer, as much as i hate those charity workers on the street thats what im doin $700 a week me thinks is pretty good for charity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 MalefarmerAnn

Eh well I'm sarting work on Monday and have Sociology repeat exams in August....... exciting heh. Wooooo :confused:

If anyone else Summer sounds as boring as mine I give you a massive online hug out of sympathy*

Mine is worse, I want to do medicine and my dad doesnt think i will get enough points, so i have to study all summer incase I have to repeat!

That's kinda crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

Irvine, California for at least until the repeats, then back out to California to complete my surfing/working experience.
    I am so glad I bought the insurance that flys me home incase I fail my exams and it only cost me 20 eurons.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Depends on whether or not I have to repeat or not. If not, the plan will be:

1. Get job.
    2. Sort out my outdated wardrobe.
    3. Get in good shape and join gym. I have the fitness levels of an 80 year old.
    4. Go out alot more often.
    5. Go on holiday in August (unless I'm doing repeats :( )
    6. I hope to do some studying if I have passed my exams so I can catch up with everyone else.

Don't laugh at that last point. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

erm

1. drink beer in the sunshine
    2. do drugs in the sunshine
    3. go to oxegen and do both of the above at the same time
    4. possibly work a little
    5. visit friend in germany, see 1 and 2 for more info
    6. visit friend in scotland. repeat 1 and 2
    7. go to see the pixies. repeat 1 and 2

im beginning to see a bit of a pattern.
    none of those actions are actually weather dependent tho, i do them rail hail or shine.
    had a rough year so im definitely just looking to relax and enjoy myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

the plan
    1) try get a job that i can quit in september and still get a reference
    2) go on holiday in june
    3)come back from holiday, rest of family goes on holidays i.e. free gaf
    4)get wasted , see 3 :D
    5)ruin zane's street cred by constantly hugging him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Where's everyone working? Well I won't be repeating this year - cos we don't have repeats! Here's my plan:

*Head off to Sicily with parents for a week
    *Come back get a job that pays me lots of money while requiring very little work (i.e. temping!)
    *Graduate in July with a degree of some sort - Hoping for a 2-1 but not sure what I'll get (Goddamn 20% of degree being from 3rd year rule :mad: )
    *8 friends, 2 tents, a lot of beer and a weekend at Oxygen :D
    *Meant to be going to Edinburugh at some stage
    *Also meant to be going to Croatia and Amsterdam at some stage at end of August
    *Also possibly going to Japan at some stage with Ninjutsu club at start of Sept

Actually all things considered I better have a really understanding employer! Anyway will do that during the Summer untill mid October, then heading off around the world next year with friends - can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

work till july 8th then go to south east asia on a drug fuelled quest to find myself, WOOHOO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

-Get a job for the summer.
    -Pay back parents (have €10,000 loan on a 'whenever you can' basis to cover my first two years of college). :(
    -Gym: Less cardio, more heavy lifting. Fix bodyfat % (stupid belly *grrrrr* :mad:).
    -Debauched holiday for one somewhere in the Canaries (probably).
    -Write program to catalogue my mp3 and movie collection (it's gargantuan! :eek: ).
    -Buy a Canon 350D, a 10-22mm and Sigma's 50-500mm lens (total: €3,000 ; result: 'aint going to happen) and a Pentax Optio WP (€300 :) , so probably).
    -Bake cookies, lots of cookies. :cool:
    -Read Bertrand Russell's "the history of western philosophy" (its been sitting on my bookshelf sneering at me for over a year now... :eek: ) and some Albert Camus too.
    -Work out how I could possibly need 5 computers and have the guts of a dozen more... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Vancouver from 8th june till 8th september! anything can happen,
    maybe learn to drive there so I can get away without waiting in the queues here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

* Work in the Computer Science department in an internship for the summer, should find out ina about a week if I've got it.
    * Help Larry poke Orca till she can't be poked no more to give loadsa new and funky services available for the next year. (And yes I'm talking about netsoc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Zane, you'll be fine with them ol krazy exams!

Plan
    -go back to work and beg for more hours
    -spend more time in the park with my friends, more picnics, more hip flasks
    -remind work that I'm going to Italy for a month, study, get drunk, do traveling
    -at the end go to rome for ickl while, meet up with few ppl, fly home, get drunk
    -come home, beg for job back, go to pub
    -go to more gigs,already got tom vek, and smog lined up...anyone got any beck tickets....anyone...?get drunk more
    -maybe depending on funding finally move out-yay!get more drunk
    -then go to galway or kilkenny or something for a massive session before uni starts again, drunk more get

As for repeats they don't exist and there's no such thing as exams....ever..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

tribulus wrote:
    the plan
    1) try get a job that i can quit in september and still get a reference
    2) go on holiday in june
    3)come back from holiday, rest of family goes on holidays i.e. free gaf
    4)get wasted , see 3 :D
    5)ruin zane's street cred by constantly hugging him :D

Eh Science Boy? You only crush me like a bug if you attempted to hug with those huge arms of yours! Raaaarrrrgghhhhhhh

Are you not having any indoor barbecues this summer Science Boy?

In all in anyways I've come up with my manifesto for the summer

1. not to get sacked from my job
    2 not to fail my repeat exams
    3. go to Oxegen and drink, do illegal substances and have some sex
    4. hang out at Oxegen with my mates G-rohl, Homme, Cornell and Flowers
    5. win a competition to go abroad (I have no money)
    6. drink alcohol evey day
    7. go to the gym to outdo tribulus in the musclemaniac department
    8. make my long awaited football comeback after 5 years out of the game with 6 successful seasons at Baldoyle United as the worlds greatest right footed left-back and pioneer of no-nonsense football
    9. think up of something to do for no.9
    10. meet Zane Lowe in person

Alana wrote:
    Zane, you'll be fine with them ol krazy exams!

11. evenmtually realise that Alana talks BS all the time

12. don't spell eventually as evenmtually ever again

'Zane fail English? That's un-possible!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Syth wrote:
    * Help Larry poke Orca till she can't be poked no more to give loadsa new and funky services available for the next year. (And yes I'm talking about netsoc).
    Don't poke her too much, she's working just fine for me right now...
    ('cept SCP logins have been acting up, but that might be my end)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

11. evenmtually realise that Alana talks BS all the time

Well excuse me mr!! It be the finest quality BS, no hefers need apply...only the real sh1t.

Meh at least I can spell :)

Orca? Sounds like place the cartoons on tg4 come from :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Alana wrote:
    Well excuse me mr!! It be the finest quality BS, no hefers need apply...only the real sh1t.

Meh at least I can spell :)

You spelt 'heifer' wrong. :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Ah so we have a netsoc admin on our hands here! (Expect lots of PM's when I switch to OpenBSD!!!) I'm feeling horribly detached from Orca at the minute :( - my BB is down at home, which is probably a good thing considering exams are coming! ;)

My plan for the summer:

1) Work on an internship in the elec department
    2) Go to Rome
    3) Get drunk :D
    4) Renew relations with the female species :cool:
    5) Visit a friend in sunderland (see 3/4)
    6) Visit a friend in nottingham (see 3/4)
    7) Possibly go to amsterdam (see 3/4)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Syth wrote:
    * Work in the Computer Science department in an internship for the summer, should find out ina about a week if I've got it.
    Fair play, but don't forget to go outside , you don't want to end up looking like those feeble pasty people I constantly see arround computer science. I could nearly say some of them are deficient in sunlight.
    BTW is there anyway you can use orca as a proxy to access a vnc (TightVNC) server at another location?
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

kasintahan wrote:
    Don't poke her too much, she's working just fine for me right now...
    ('cept SCP logins have been acting up, but that might be my end)
    Try using orca.ucd.ie instead of scp.netsoc.ucd.ie. That may not work if your default shell is flash (which unless you've changed it, it will be). You can change your shell from flash to ksh by logging in, pressing 'b' to go to the shell, and running 'chsh', if you know vi, you have to change the Shell: line to say Shell: /bin/ksh, if you don't know vi, then as soon as you type chsh, type
    jf:lDA/bin/ksh<esc>:wq<enter>

Then log out and scp should work. Note that <esc> and <enter> are the actual escape and enter keys. Hopefully that should work.

Outside? The big blue room? Phht!

Advertisement