Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discussing downloading. Some rules for some, different rules for others!!

Options
  • 17-05-2005 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Yesterday I tried to get a discussion going on the Films board about the new Star Wars flick, at no stage was the word "download" ever mentoned, I merely asked how one would go about getting it "in the post" from their "cousin"

Cheeky yes, but no mention of anything illegal. It was removed by Ixoy.

Now if you look at this thread on the Television board its all ok!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2759799#post2759799

Ixoys reply to the removal on the TV board was

Well I decided I didn't want to risk it on the Films board, not least because Episode III being d/led is likely to anger FOX far more than a couple of FG episodes and I was afraid the thread was getting too specific about how/where to do it. Anyway this is a Feedback issue, not for this thread.

Is it like this alot around here then? Some rules for some different rules for others?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Episode III is a brand new film and one of the biggest this year.

Depends on the mod I'm sure, but it also relies on your common sense as well as regards to older/newer stuff and their controversy etc.

Your thread was an absolute example of muppetry at its finest.

Ioxys quote sums it up exactly :
    Well I decided I didn't want to risk it on the Films board, not least because Episode III being d/led is likely to anger FOX far more than a couple of FG episodes and I was afraid the thread was getting too specific about how/where to do it. Anyway this is a Feedback issue, not for this thread.

getting too specific

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

its fair enough..
    asking how to get illegal carp isnt on...
    or at least should be left to the pms..

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You were asking where to illegaly download the Star Wars film and pretending that you were talking about getting it from your cousin in the post office.

Were you talking about how and where to download Star Wars illegaly?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Yesterday I merely asked how one would go about getting it "in the post" from their "cousin"

come on Dr Cox
    none of us in here came down in the last shower ya know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

its that time of the year again where bull**** fills the air!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Dr Cox's Ego

I phrased it that way because thats how it went unmoderated in the TV board on the Family Guy thread I linked to above. One rule for a highly rated TV show and another for a new film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

I phrased it that way because thats how it went unmoderated in the TV board on the Family Guy thread I linked to above. One rule for a highly rated TV show and another for a new film.

People were mearly mentioning that they got the program off their "cousin". .
    they were not discussing in the thread how to get it..
    which was over the line obviously.. as ixoy pointed out..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

One rule for a highly rated TV show and another for a new film.

it's simple really..
    two different forums
    with two different charters/mods

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

downloading is always gonna be a grey area,
    tv eps are less grey than movies tbh.

one thread saying "i got the new show", that when it evetually comes here, wont cost money to watch, or at least extra to watch,

and another threade for a movie thats just released asking "where can i get it" ,a movie will make millions of euro over the next few weeks,

tbh theres also a hell of lot more money in pirated movies than pirated tv hence the stricter policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

If ya want to see the movie just go to it on Friday. Boards ain't the place for this. If your really desperate try here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I phrased it that way because thats how it went unmoderated in the TV board on the Family Guy thread I linked to above.

Did you report the posts on those forums?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

From The_Corinthian, Chapter 4, Verse 12:

"And DeVore came down from the mountain and hence there was light. Thunder smote the ground with the angry wrath of a vengeful God. And lo, did DeVore spake and utter "Thou shalt not discuss the downloading of anything illegal you ****ing muppets". And lo there was silence and there rose from a crowd one who spake that "everyone is doing it! Why can't I talk about it?" and lo he was smote down with 12 strikes of divine lightning and there was peace again in the heavens."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Amen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

The truth is that us mods let stuff through on the toss of a coin. Then, when others see this and try to do similar we lock the threads &/ ban. It's a nice way of keeping everyone on their toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Well, if we lived in america, we could see tv shows for free anyway, so I agree, downloading movies is worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Blisterman wrote:
    Well, if we lived in america, we could see tv shows for free anyway, so I agree, downloading movies is worse.
    No. You would need:

(a) to buy a TV
    (b) buy electricity for the TV
    (c) pay a cable subscription (free to air TV in the USA is useless)
    (d) watch ad.s

Not quite "free".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Infini wrote:
    If ya want to see the movie just go to it on Friday.
    Yeah, tbh you'd probably enjoy it more on the big screen with nice THX surround sound... than some crappy washed out digi-cam capture with crap flat sound and rubbish compression.
    And you can make a day of it aswell, go to the cinema dressed as a jedi and re-enact scenes from other star wars films with the other fans.

May the force be with you... always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Umm in Dr Coxs defence there is a bitorrent link in ALL those family guy threads to download the episode.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2754131&postcount=11
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2724321&postcount=3

Kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

So the admins need to lay down a common policy, and be seen to punish mods who overlook it. Simple as that.

In most respects its fine to allow mods run their show the way they see it, but if its something that could effect boardsie as a whole (i.e. a legal matter), then the admins need to pull rank and lay down common rules.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

KdjaC wrote:
    Umm in Dr Coxs defence there is a bitorrent link in ALL those family guy threads to download the episode.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2754131&postcount=11
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2724321&postcount=3

Kdjac
    Snipped. Were they reported?

Maybe another mod needs to be added to that board.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Gordon wrote:
    You were asking where to illegaly download the Star Wars film and pretending that you were talking about getting it from your cousin in the post office.

Were you talking about how and where to download Star Wars illegaly?

Even assuming that there is a "cousin", where might this person have obtained a legal copy of the film in question a couple of days before its release? Whining muppetry at its finest from the OP if ya ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Gordon, can you close this thread please?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement