Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best sci-fi of last few years?

• 17-05-2005 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Farscape imho.

Best recent sci-fi? 81 votes

Battlestar
    0% 0 votes
    Farscape
    46% 38 votes
    Enterprise
    29% 24 votes
    other(name it pls)
    4% 4 votes
    Star Gate Atlantis
    13% 11 votes
    Firefly
    4% 4 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Edit that poll to include Stargate :). The franchise has nine seasons under its belt - think it deserves an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

dang ur right.dunno how i left it out.not sure how to edit poll tho...lol...n00blar to these boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I would have put down one of several written works that I've read and love, but hey, they're not in the poll. :p

So I picked Galactica, due entirely to there being no option for Firefly. Oh Kaylee, how you're hated by some. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

stargate pfftt... i'll add atlantis

Never saw Firefly myself.It was from Joss Whedon wasnt it but got cancelled after a few episodes?

I thought Farscape wud run away with this tbh.Surprising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

big stargate fan but have to go with Battlestar Galactica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Battlestar all the way.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

BSG it is!

.....and July can't come quick enough.

this is incredible.u guys have seen Farscape right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yep. Great series!

But you've seen Galactica, right?!? Its fantastic :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Farscape : 88 episodes + miniseries, big fantastic roller coaster thrill ride the whole way through
    Battlestar: 13 episodes. Grim. I enjoyed it alright, but it's certainly no Farscape yet.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Farscape for me... Battlestar is good but it's got a long way to go, as Stark put it so very well. :)

Voices of reason, thankfully ;)

BSG has a LOT of ground to make up b4 it can be rated above Farscape imho.

hehe

just after noticing the poll has been altered to include Atlantis.

cheeky mod ;)

if ya can think of ne other possible contenders throw em up too seeing as how i dont know how/cant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Futurama :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I liked Stargate Atlantis and The 4400.... Never got into Firefly or BSG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Daelus

Firefly is brilliant, but I voted for Farscape. Although I've only just started watching it, I'm just about to finish season 1 on DVD.
    It's great so far.

I missed Battlestar in it's original run so I haven't seen that yet. :(

Was The 4400 good.Didnt manage to catch it at all.Ads didnt see that promising not that u shud judge a book by its cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Don't know what constitutes recent; I'd like to be able to shoehorn Babylon 5 in there, but if not, Farscape would be the one for me from that list.

Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

The 4400 wasnt great now...but Id put Taken on that list even if it was only a mini series.

• Advertisement

Babylon 5 ended a few years ago, so I assume that's why it's not there - otherwise it's an inexcusable oversight :)

Voted for Farscape here. I love BSG but, come on, we've seen 13 episodes only - too early to really judge.

Don't know what constitutes recent; I'd like to be able to shoehorn Babylon 5 in there, but if not, Farscape would be the one for me from that list.

Gadget

Babylon 5 was incredible alrite.Jus thought it ended too long ago to include.

its remarkably close, very surprisng have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'd say Battlestar, I also liked Firefly a lot but BSG has the edge. I never really watched Farscape though, so I can't judge that. But BSG is the new B5, except I think it might end up being b-b-b-b-b-b-better. (I find it hard to say that, I loved B5 so very, very much).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Firefly for me. It was short but soooo sweet. I'd guess, depending on how serenity does, that we'll see it come back in about a year or so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

BSG, avoids the pitfalls of most sci-fi, whatever the medium by actually having characters with more than 1 dimension, well rounded tormented people, with ambitions, fears and flaws, everyone of them. It does not rely on special effects to fill in screen time, to bring along the fx freaks, yet the stuff they do use is some of the best stuff I have seen, with no exceptions.
    The show seems to have taken an old rather rubbish tv programme and turned into, well, art.
    On witht the next season, lets hope it doesn't go the way of all the other great american tv shows, like Nowhere Man, Odyssey 5, Millennium, American Gothic.

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    On witht the next season, lets hope it doesn't go the way of all the other great american tv shows, like Nowhere Man, Odyssey 5, Millennium, American Gothic.
    I assume by that you mean it doesn't get cancelled and gets to tell its story? Good enough selection there too. I'm acquiring "Millennium" and realizing (again) just how great a show it was and how criminal it was to cancel it. Very high production values and interesting arcs.

"Odyssey 5" is a different kettle of fishies. I thought the plots were actually pretty poor generally but made up for by some of the best characterisation that I've ever seen in sci-fi. You could watch the show for Paul Weller's wise-cracks alone.

"Nowhere Man" was quite interesting because we were never really sure what Hidden Agenda was all about, least until "Gemini" came along and completely flipped the tables at the end. I've just last week acquired the entire series, so I'll be giving it a rewatch.

"American Gothic" also had some real potential - really liked this show. Good strong characters - Buck with a B - and a great cliff hanger ending that never got resolved. Currently being posted slowly to me by my cousins since they've not released this show on DVD either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

I voted other, for Doctor Who

Ive been watching Odyssey 5 on TV3 now for the last while.Not sure that Ive made up my mid yet.I loved the first episode
    when the earth got destroyed and they died and wud hav thought it sheer genius if they had just left it there.

I think ill stick with it altho i take it didnt last too long?

• Advertisement

Also didnt include Taken bcos it was a miniseries.Should be pointed out that it was fantastic tho.

Advertisement