Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best sci-fi of last few years?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

poll is unfaif tbh! no stargate? popycock!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

poll is unfaif tbh! no stargate? popycock!
    Uh huh. The OP forgot to put it in and the biased mod refused to add SG1. He can hardly be arguing about it on quality grounds given he thinks Voyager is good :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Odyssey 5 was a fantastic series while it was on-very adult, to say the least. Its a pity it was cancelled. It also made me into a Manny Coto fan, and I hate the fact that all the series he works on seem to get binned. :(

I also met Tamara Craig Thomas a while back. She's one hot lady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

silly OP ;p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I'm a farscape man my-self. I liked it from when it first aired on BBC to when the Peace Keeper wars finished.

Always watched it, never missed an ep. I also both the DVD's as it came out... I'm a bit of a fan when it comes to it :)

I love Firefly and wish it had not been cancelled as it had a good rich story and universe. I cant wait till Serenity comes out. I hope they get to continue the season.

BSG I really like. But as its been said. It is young and has only had 13eps. I guess if they are keeping to the 13eps per season, then we will see how it is by the 3 season... if it gets or has one.

SG1, Is great and still going, cant wait for season 9
    SG:A Is good. But I want to see how season two go'es. I loved the city battle bits in the season ending.

I remember nowhere man from when it was on Sky. I've not heard or seen it in ages. Would love to get it and watch it again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

sutty wrote:
    BSG I really like. But as its been said. It is young and has only had 13eps. I guess if they are keeping to the 13eps per season, then we will see how it is by the 3 season... if it gets or has one.
    It's a full 22-episode season for Season Two. There's the danger of having a lot of filler material - would have prefered a shorter, higher quality season myself. Maybe it'll stretch over the full year but it's less likely.
    SG1, Is great and still going, cant wait for season 9
    SG:A Is good. But I want to see how season two go'es. I loved the city battle bits in the season ending.
    Aye, be interesting to see how SG:A season 2. SG-1 is going so long now that you can rely in it :) The big changes this season though could either rejuvenate it entirely or be like cyanide. It'll be a bloody interesting July 15th when all three return on the same night.
    I remember nowhere man from when it was on Sky. I've not heard or seen it in ages. Would love to get it and watch it again
    I've managed to acquire the entire series off of my cousins recently. Must actually watch it :p

ixoy wrote:
    I've managed to acquire the entire series off of my cousins recently. Must actually watch it :p

Interesting ;) I must get the Video's off you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Taken was awful...a rip off of dark skies which in turn was a rip off of the x files...doctor who is awful...special effects really to blame.

No where man only lasted one season,in general most US series that are axed after one season are done so before the are shown here so you can at least save yourself being ripped off by not watching it. John Doe was great but unfortunately it didn’t have the BBC backing it!

At least the scfi channel has saved some great scfi shows..ie star gate

Millennium was great to,I preferred it to the xfiles as when it was starting to get good was when the xfiles started to go down hill(blame chris carter) and Millennium went downhill in its 3rd season (when chris carter had more creative influence over it)

Why on earth can a man create such brilliance and then go and ruin it by replacing great story lines with unbelievable ones and killing of great characters ie Cancer man and krychek.

Best scfi on TV is Smallvile although not really classified in that category!

Space above and beyond was just as good as Battlestar galactica(more of a rip off of that than the original if u ask me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭LSLFAN

B5, no contest, no matter when it finished :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

TonyD79 wrote:
    Taken was awful...a rip off of dark skies which in turn was a rip off of the x files...doctor who is awful...special effects really to blame.

No where man only lasted one season,in general most US series that are axed after one season are done so before the are shown here so you can at least save yourself being ripped off by not watching it. John Doe was great but unfortunately it didn’t have the BBC backing it!

At least the scfi channel has saved some great scfi shows..ie star gate

Millennium was great to,I preferred it to the xfiles as when it was starting to get good was when the xfiles started to go down hill(blame chris carter) and Millennium went downhill in its 3rd season (when chris carter had more creative influence over it)

Why on earth can a man create such brilliance and then go and ruin it by replacing great story lines with unbelievable ones and killing of great characters ie Cancer man and krychek.

Best scfi on TV is Smallvile although not really classified in that category!

Space above and beyond was just as good as Battlestar galactica(more of a rip off of that than the original if u ask me)
    Ok, I was prepared to riposte most of your points until I saw this little gem
    TonyD79 wrote:
    Best scfi on TV is Smallvile

/me sighs loudly.

As for accusing several great programs of copying, well thats crazy. Dark Skies may have been a cash-in on the X-Files gravy train, but it was certainly no copy.

And how you can say Space:Above and Beyond is a copy of anything, is surely the first signs of madness?

• Advertisement

Ivan wrote:
    And how you can say Space:Above and Beyond is a copy of anything, is surely the first signs of madness?

I think he means the new BSG is a ripoff of Space above and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Lopper

does Odyssey 5 count?

Thought it was excellent, pity it was cancelled. Lots of Science Fact too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

correct sutty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Quantum Leap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Doctor Who really should be an option :/ Some people prefer Sci Fi to be a bit more human, rather than just military blowin' up and ambassador dealings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I've never seen Firefly but I love all the rest and sorry but farscape wins everytime hands down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Daelus

I've changed my mind, 'Firefly' is actually my favourite. I've been watching the series through again on DVD and it's bloody brilliant. :D

And it's very human, not just all military blowing stuff up! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

Yeah, where's Doctor Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Vulture

B5 was great up to a point but it dragged on a bit, should have ended a little sooner. True i would have wanted more episodes but i can live with that. Dont ever watch the films 3 out of 5 sucked really really badly.
    Farscape was much more human and the way the main character got a little crazyier every season was excellent. He got tortured on three diffrent occasions and had a crazy bad guy stuck in his mind, thats not good for mental health. They had a nice continous storyline and most of the filler episodes were very entertaining, farscape hands down.
    Firefly might have equaled or even surpassed it but was axed to young.
    Battlestar? to bloody dull, the most entertaining character is that blond psylon and not because of her dialogue.

:D

Have watched Firefly and Serenity in the intervening three years and have to say I really enjoyed both. Such a pity the show got cancelled. Space-westerns ftw!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Now thats thread resurrection for you. I voted Battlestar. In the three years since this thread, it has only gotten better and better. Firefly is a close 2nd though.

I'd still have FarScape numero uno but yeah BSG has been good. Not sure how it's gonna end up. Hope it doesnt disappoint!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Firefly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Stargate
    Babylon 5
    Star trek
    then farscape and BSG

someone mentioned American Gothic? Brilliant show but Sci fi? mmmmm more like horror

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Agreed, American Gothic could possibly fit into the Fantasy category as well, but I'd label it 'horror'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

love this thread. i voted firefly and always will!
    still, i was a little dissapointed with the selection, then again, you can't fit them all on!
    If there was to be an "other", i would have picked The 4400 hands down. much better than that overhyped Heroes tripe!:)

Advertisement