Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Failing

• 17-05-2005 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

hey just wondering if i could fail comp1002 (one of my subjects in 1st year computer science)by not doing the practicals i had to do this semester(4 practicals in total).....i passed everything else last semester(sept. to christmas),and all my other exams this semester

Also to the people doing computer science....if i fail comp1002 in first year do i have to repeat the whole year??? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Practicals are dodgy ground, did you do any? Best talk to someone in the dept. Joe Carthy is very nice and easy to talk to.

Failing COMP1002 probably just means repeating it in the autumn. Unless you get about 35% in it, in which case they'll prob bump you to a 40%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭aSS g0BliN

but like which exam do i repeat if i didn't do any of the practicals....u see we had 4 practicals (i didn't do any) for Dr. Juilie Berndsen of the course and we had a project to do with Dr. Joe kirney which i passed ....so if i repeat what do i repeat if i passed all the exams already?? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

If you fail Joe Carthys Java practicals then you fail the year.

However, he runs a supervised pratical during the summer which you can use to pass his practicals for the year. This is just 1 single practical so you'd want to do well.

I don't know about any other practical as they are the only ones I do.

This is what he told us just before the exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

comp 1002 formal foundations, the web site says "Note that Marks and Standards for Computer Science states that "A pass mark for the whole subject may not be granted to any candidate in Computer Science who does not satisfy the Examiners in the practical component of that subject." It is NOT sufficient just to attend lectures occasionally and "attempt" the tests." So if they fail ya on comp 1002 pracs you don;t repeat an exam you have to repeat the whole course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

here man, just say you had weekly family counselling meeting and talk to him and he'll understand especially if your able to get an alright end of year grade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

there was 3 pracs for that course, if you did alright in the other two subjects and the exam you'll prob be fine.

Advertisement