Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gingerbread House has closed down....

Options
  • 17-05-2005 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

...any idea why? :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭JoeKelly

Are you sure? i love that place make great coffee! dont see why it'd close down! Dam government!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

ah - I used to always pop in when I was down there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Are ye serious? it was a hole. the place was always cold, the seats were uncomfortable, the coleslaw had a skin on top, the coffee was awful, the plungers were useless, all the salad stuff looked awful and tasted as it looked, the pizzas were dry and manky. I think the most apt name for the place was "Minger-bread House".

Delighted its closed down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

I second that Solice, the only time I was in there I got a terrible, terrible sandwich. Needless to say I never went back there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

solice wrote:
    Are ye serious? it was a hole. the place was always cold, the seats were uncomfortable, the coleslaw had a skin on top, the coffee was awful, the plungers were useless, all the salad stuff looked awful and tasted as it looked, the pizzas were dry and manky. I think the most apt name for the place was "Minger-bread House".

Delighted its closed down!

Yeah, the food was pretty mank but it was a handy place to get tea and what will all the mini-moshers and other less annoying people who used to frequent it do now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

simu wrote:
    Yeah, the food was pretty mank but it was a handy place to get tea and what will all the mini-moshers and other less annoying people who used to frequent it do now?

Agreed, eating there wasn't really the thing, it was more the atmosphere.

Although to be honest, I've not gone in there since the smoking ban came in. I really stopped going to cafes when I couldn't smoke in them. Just don't enjoy myself when I'm in there.

Although with the summer looking as good as it is, I may decide to go to some of the more outdoors cafes. We'll see.

A Board's Coffee afternoon anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

JoeKelly wrote:
    Dam government!
    What the hell does it have to do with the govt?????

That place was a dump - I won't be missing it. Seeing as it's a dump of a cafe that's closing down, perhaps the 'Save Bewley's' crowd from Dublin can launch a campaign?

i wouldnt be surprised if it was shut down for health reasons

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

the main thing i thought was cool was that they opened way late on weekends. never used it much, but was nice to know there was an alternative.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

nesf wrote:
    A Board's Coffee afternoon anyone?

Yeah, nice idea. It's almost criminal being at work on a day like today...

• Advertisement

Fysh wrote:
    Yeah, nice idea. It's almost criminal being at work on a day like today...

Cant even see the windows from my desk

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The place was terrible, but you could at least go there late at night when no where else was open.

Why is there a lack of good coffee shops in this city?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Used to like going into Tribes after the pub meself, oh so long ago, but just for hot chocolate with marshmallows dunkers. I hate coffee.

Padraig, I think Joe was having a little fun.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

excellent news, overpriced muck and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

good riddance

keep shutting down the scumholes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

It was bad alright. Only thing it had going for it was that it was a late night alternative to the pub.

And maybe...it was cheaper than Tribes...but you get what you pay for.

Only problem now is that Tribes will be jammed!?!??!

Would be really nice if they did the GingerBread house up and made it into a proper late night coffee/food joint. Cork needs it!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CathalMc

Ah it was much more than just a coffee shop, it was a magnet for Cork's alternatives of every type. During the summer, every hippie with any sort of standing in the hippie hierarchy has to pass through, it can be amusing entertainment when you have a few hours to kill.

My favourite conversation (which I can't imagine having anywhere else but in the GBH) was with this guy I see in there regularly. One time I was in there and one of my "alternative" friends (I'll leave the precise definition of that alternative out for the sake of anonymity) introduced me to this guy and some other guy. For the next hour I had this guy trying to convince me that anti-gravity was real. Military secrets, cover ups the whole nine yards, but you can find out all about it on the web. Thats how he found out you see. Brilliant. My worry is that if we lose the GBH, where will these unfortunate souls go to develop their theories and entertain me?

back to the pc in their bedrooms with the curtains shut and a packet of jaffa cakes and coke at their sides as they stare into the screen at half four in the morning playing Doom3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

mick_irl wrote:
    It was bad alright.

Would be really nice if they did the GingerBread house up and made it into a proper late night coffee/food joint. Cork needs it!

Ditto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

I saw it today, it's for sale?? hopefully it won't turn into something totally commercial, imagine a planet hollywood or something going in there??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think he means commercial as in devoid of character.

Like Tribes vs Starbucks

(By character I also imply choice, as in if you don't like the taste of the coffee/food in the chains, you have an alternative).

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

it was a great place to sit for a few hours if you'd nothing better to do shame really but hopefully it'll be turned into somewhere worth goin

looking at cork the way it has been going for the last few years, it will probably be turned into apartments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

solice wrote:

me too (sic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭JoeKelly

Read in the examiner yesterday that it was going to be considered for one of those new cafe bar places!

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

solice wrote:

I liked the pigeons in there. However the food was tooooooooooo expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,690 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

i liked the way you could get your own pot of coffee. never had the food there except for the odd scone. pub cafe thing would be good alright, if they could keep it in ratio and not just another pub that also sells coffee..

• Advertisement

Are these new Cafe/Pubs going to be like what the New Port is?

Advertisement