Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minidisc to PC Recording

• 17-05-2005 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if someone could point me the right direction of a free program that will enable me to record some mixes I have on minidisc to my PC?

Cheers,

B.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

um...assuming you have a line-in on your PC's soundcard, then just get a 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack cable and use something like OPd2d source recorder (freeware).
    Or if you have a sony netMD then you need sonic stage, openMG jukebox or whatever they use now and use the Import function...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

I'm currently trying to do this myself. I like audacity as a freeware recorder (recommended to me by plazzTT), but I havn't got round to using it with a decent enough sound card yet.

On a side note, you can buy really realy cheap s/cards on eBay that have digital sockets too. I wonder is it possible to record to the PC via optical/coaxial if the mix was recorded without being digital?

Give us some feedback on how you get on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

Bri wrote:
    I'm currently trying to do this myself. I like audacity as a freeware recorder (recommended to me by plazzTT), but I havn't got round to using it with a decent enough sound card yet.

:D

I hope Audacity isn't the problem. It shouldn't be, but then again, even the cheapest of sound cards should still give listenable results.

Two things I've noticed for when recording off MD to PC: Put the MD player at full volume (this gives me maximum volume without "clipping" the recording), and also switch off any "BASS" modes on the MD player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

plazzTT wrote:
    I hope Audacity isn't the problem. It shouldn't be, but then again, even the cheapest of sound cards should still give listenable results.
    Na it's a great program by the looks of things. Just my MD deck isn't working so using a portable MD -> laptop onboard soundard = bad results. Will try this when all is fixed and working with a desktop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Wertz wrote:
    um...assuming you have a line-in on your PC's soundcard, then just get a 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack cable and use something like OPd2d source recorder (freeware)

Ah c'mon, I'm not that bad I have the cable and It's connected to my soundcard. ;) I was just looking for a decent free program to record and edit mixes.
    plazzTT wrote:
    Two things I've noticed for when recording off MD to PC: Put the MD player at full volume (this gives me maximum volume without "clipping" the recording), and also switch off any "BASS" modes on the MD player.

I ended downloading a program called "PolderbitS Sound Recorder & Editor" but it's only a trial version. It's also a pity I didn't get to read your advice about turning off the "Bass" mode as I recorded a full mix with it on and the results sounded awful. Once I sorted it the mix sounded fine but I'm finding it difficult to edit the mix, i.e. trimming the blank bits at the beginning and the end of the mix. I dunno whether the sound editor does it on the free version.

Thanks for the advice guys. I might try to get my hands on a copy of audacity and see how I get on with that.

B.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

www.goldwave.com

nice free program, easy to use, get instructions with it, able to split tracks on a mix, records as a .wav file, sounds good and works very well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Fully agree with Goldwave suggestion. I use it the whole time. Excellent for editing wavs. Comes with loads of effects, equalisers and such. You can even mix files over each other for blending tracks together. (Obviously not as good as actual mixing software but you can get some nice results if you put in the time and effort :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭deadbeat

Wertz wrote:
    Or if you have a sony netMD then you need sonic stage, openMG jukebox or whatever they use now and use the Import function...

this wont work, your only able to import songs which you have exported from the same computer

Cheers for the suggestions.

I ended up using "PolderbitS Sound Recorder & Editor" to record from the minidisc and then used Goldwave to edit it which is an excellent program. I remember using a really early version of it back when I had a computer at home. I only have access to a computer in work so I have to fairly covert when messing around with music.

I've finally gotten an early demo tape that I done back in about 96 onto my computer. The only problem is because it was on a fairly old tape recorded to minidisc recorded to my PC the quality ain't the best (still listenable though).

If I can find somewhere to upload it I will so you all can have a listen. Any suggestions? It's in two parts about 65mb each. I have to sort out the tracklisting though.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

BaZmO* wrote:
    If I can find somewhere to upload it I will so you all can have a listen. Any suggestions? It's in two parts about 65mb each. I have to sort out the tracklisting though.

http://www.yousendit.com
    or
    http://www.sdfx.co.uk/

Enter in the recipient and sender as your own email address. After the file is uploaded (takes a long while), it will give you a link. Post that link here.

(I recommend the sdfx website, because it shows a progress bar while it's uploading.)

• Advertisement

Cheers plazzTT.

I've posted a thread here if ya want to have a listen?

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

deadbeat wrote:
    this wont work, your only able to import songs which you have exported from the same computer

:o figures

Advertisement